Alfonso Cuaron's "Gravity"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #46
Originally Posted by JsGuillemette: I heard from a mailing list that the final cut of the film is 23 cuts.

I wonder if it was a typo, or the "edit" changed alot since that article was written.

I didn't count them, but suffice it to say that it's far removed from one of those irritating Michael Bay-esque edits. You actually get the opportunity to see stuff.

Old 05 May 2013   #47
Interested in this, his digital stitching is really impressive and I think Children of Men is great. I actually hate movies with tons of CG almost universally but I'll give this a shot just b/c of Cuaron.

Old 05 May 2013   #48
Originally Posted by malcolmvexxed: Interested in this, his digital stitching is really impressive and I think Children of Men is great. I actually hate movies with tons of CG almost universally but I'll give this a shot just b/c of Cuaron.

Also because he's using CG in a way that doesn't seem like he's holding up a sign saying "Look at all the cool CGs!!!"

Old 05 May 2013   #49
I am not sure if I want to watch two people stranded in space for two hours but if anyone can pull it off it's Cuaron.

Old 05 May 2013   #50
This trailer is stunning ! it reminds me 2 great scene
- in 2001 when Gary Lockwood lost the contact with the ship and drift in the stellar void
- in Mission to Mars when Tim Robins cut the wire and choose to sacrifice him (i've always love that scene even if the movie suck ...)

You take those 2 scene and you add some testosterone in it and you got this amazing trailer !

... Take my Money Mr Cuaron you deserve it ! i will definitly see this in IMAX !

Last edited by SebKaine : 05 May 2013 at 07:47 AM.

Old 05 May 2013   #51
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: I am not sure if I want to watch two people stranded in space for two hours but if anyone can pull it off it's Cuaron.

I'm hoping this will be something along the lines of Moon or 2001, where the sense of isolation is oppressive and powerful and allows for a strong atmosphere over unnecessary dialogue.

Old 05 May 2013   #52
Looks awesome. Big geek points for re-enacting/recreating this iconic scene (Name that movie!)

Old 05 May 2013   #53
Originally Posted by Artbot: Looks awesome. Big geek points for re-enacting/recreating this iconic scene (Name that movie!)

I thought I was the only person lurking here occasionally old enough to remember that one. Went through 3 copies of the novelization (by a very young Alan Dean Foster), which is also very impressive.

- Major Garland Briggs
TWIN PEAKS

Old 07 July 2013   #54
2 minute uncut clip from the opening sequence.

HD: http://youtu.be/C4pcg7bXgmU

embed:

Not sure I am completely on board with some of the camera moves, and the face mapping is a bit more obvious, but the relentless choreography and tension are pretty great.

Old 07 July 2013   #55
Originally Posted by JsGuillemette: I heard from a mailing list that the final cut of the film is 23 cuts.

I wonder if it was a typo, or the "edit" changed alot since that article was written.

Paul Greengrass: "Just 23 cuts? That's IMPOSSIBLE!"

Old 07 July 2013   #56
Here's another new trailer.

Drifting.

Old 07 July 2013   #57
Damn it Dutch, you beat me to it. I love the music in that one.

Old 07 July 2013   #58
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: I am not sure if I want to watch two people stranded in space for two hours but if anyone can pull it off it's Cuaron.

I think a lot of directors could pull it off. Did you see Open Water? The premise sounds terrible, but the movie is wrenching.

As for the drifting clip, at least she won't have to worry about drifting off into space. Most objects in orbit around Earth are on parabolic trajectories, which means their speed (and not simply the planet's gravity) is what is keeping them in orbit. Any vehicle without some kind of boosting capability will eventually fall back toward earth. Being flung away from an explosion (or whatever) is not nearly enough energy to fling you out into open space. You would arc up and eventually fall back to Earth. Of course, it might take days or weeks for this to happen. I'm hoping they'll get at least some of the orbital mechanics right.

Last edited by Artbot : 07 July 2013 at 05:06 PM.

Old 07 July 2013   #59
This looks amazing and terrifying in equal measure. Always feared that kind of floating in space scenario.

Old 07 July 2013   #60

Cast Away 2: Wilson in Space

Thread Closed share thread