StarShip Troopers..Again

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08 August 2012   #61
According to Animation Magazine, it's due out on DVD and Bluray August 29th.
 
Old 08 August 2012   #62
Originally Posted by DSW: According to Animation Magazine, it's due out on DVD and Bluray August 29th.


And that's cool. Even with some of the crits I mentioned from the opening 10 minutes, I'd still give them a fair shot and check this one out.

I must note though I didn't get to the end of "Advent Children", but I did manage to sit through all the cinematics of "Devil May Cry 4" and I love watching the cinematics from "Resident Evil 5". So I think I can still watch this.

Besides, even when you watch the best-of-the-best there's always the stuff you don't like in it. So at the very least, it would be an exercise in: "Hmmm.. that part can be different".
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
My ArtStation
 
Old 08 August 2012   #63
I couldn't make it through the first ten minutes of this movie. I liked Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and even watched Resident Evil: Degeneration. I love Beowulf and Advent Children. This Starship Troopers movie is none of those. Considering what I saw from the E3 videos, saying this is like game quality is an insult to games.
__________________
Terrence Walker
Studio ArtFX
Learn How to Make Your Own Animated Projects!
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!
 
Old 08 August 2012   #64
Boring. They took any fun that was part of ST out and made it flat out boring. I didn't care for anyone.


And having Casper van Dien as an exec producer but NOT the voice of Johnny Rico is just wrong.

Overall, it felt like a new studio's demo reel setup for them to go after lower end space marine cutscene gigs.

Story first people! Especially when it comes to animation!
 
Old 08 August 2012   #65
Originally Posted by csmallfield: I am not meaning to be inflamatory, but how is Starship Troopers not a satire? It is so obviously made like a propaganda movie.......

-C


Having watched it for the first time this week, I agree. It's a gung-ho movie made in such a way that the audience knows its done like a propaganda film. It's that which makes it funny for me.
__________________
I like to learn.
 
Old 08 August 2012   #66
You know I didn't "get" Veorhoven when I was younger. The violence and satirical edge he would infuse in his movies were offputting to me, its only over the last ten years or so that I started to appreciate what he brought to hollywood action movies. It's like he was making those movies with a middle finger pointed squarely at Hollywood and the culture surrounding it. Basic Instinct and Showgirls was like a dare to Hollywood to release them. All his movies were a satirical commentary on something. That's more than you can say about any big budget action movie director today. I think that is what made his movies such classics that stand the test of time.

He's a great director and I would love to see him helm another big action movie but I think he went back to making smaller movies in his homeland.
 
Old 12 December 2012   #67
Ok, I just saw this film.... I was really wanting to like this film or to learn from it. Because regardless of what people think, this is a film done at a larger scale to what I've done before, so I wanted to really take a look at it... and understand it.

But I honestly ended up not liking it. I did take a few notes of what bothered me.

1) Off-putting Stylization choices - This was something I was really particularly looking at for this film, as opposed to Halo Spartan Ops or the other Digic and Blur animation. Because compared to those films, ST:I really uses quite a bit of stylization in the characters. It has a lot in common with Square Enix style FF videos, but the style is a bit more toned down, and I was kind of anxious to see it working. Structurally, there didn't seem to be a lot wrong with the characters' bodies or faces, although I didn't like it that a lot of the men seemed bigger than their suits whenever they got out of them. At times, it looked like the motions for when the characters are shirtless (and topless for the women) was compromised by the fact that there were some over-sized sections of the body here and there. The faces had this problem where they looked a bit like they were 2D morphing to form expressions. When characters smile or something.. you don't see the "smile" you see two ends of the mouth going up.. flatly on the screen. Didn't like that. I realize they use DAZ3D to make these characters, so I don't know if part of the issue is that they are using faces that are produced by the DAZ system and that there wasn't enough done to "let the faces heel to Rigger's demands".

2) Rigging/posing issues - There are times all the characters experience "odd poses". Particularly in the shoulders, it seems like there's stretching or odd weight going on (or maybe unrefined mocap data?). However, when I double-check silhouettes, I think the rigging seems fine...I do think, instead, the problem is not caused by the rigging, but by a lack of light/shadow interplay to help "sell" the change in pose or volume on screen. Which takes me to...

3) Flat and Uninteresting Lighting and Colors - a lot of the textures look like shader pre-sets or procedurals, and lighting outdoors (in space) and in-doors or in the transports is remarkably the same. Some flat surfaces or tubes/bars seem filled with a single color without variation - even when the object is supposed to be moving. It really "flattens" the whole picture (and probably affected my ability to see facial or body pose changes). It's all the little things. You can see swarms of bugs... and the bugs closest to camera and the one farthest away from camera have the SAME color and lighting. There are lamps overhead in the corridor.. but when a bug runs from the horizon and comes closer to camera you don't get anything interesting like scrolling of light/shadow to indicate the bugs are coming under one lamp and then going into another. There's nothing like that. It's like they rendered each of the elements under standard lighting and started compositing everything one after the other regardless of light source.

4) "Japmerica" tendencies - This is something I thought they might have licked by getting Flint Dille to do the writing. Flint Dille - the writer of the 80's cartoon GI JOE - so I expected a lot of that camaraderie and military banter, not to mention one-liners or the bravado in villains that Dille did so well year in year out for Sunbow. But there was none of that in the movie. To be fair, there was a lot less of the sort of off-kilter Japanese-America type of issues with characters "bowing" or saying off-tone phrases. But there was still a bit of that Japmerica-ness in it. It never felt authentic. The acting seemed directly lifted from the ads for Streetfighter X Tekken. So in short... it still felt... Japanese. It's strange because I really thought Flint Dille's writing should have been stronger (not deeper or profound.. but stronger in the sense that all he really had to do was make GI JOE in Space), but then again Shinji Aramaki was directing, and I guess some of the things Dille wrote were "lost in translation"?

In the end, it was watchable as a demonstration, but it wasn't involving in the way some other similar animation is involving or more pretty to look at.
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
My ArtStation
 
Old 12 December 2012   #68
Originally Posted by Apoclypse: You know I didn't "get" Veorhoven when I was younger. The violence and satirical edge he would infuse in his movies were offputting to me, its only over the last ten years or so that I started to appreciate what he brought to hollywood action movies. It's like he was making those movies with a middle finger pointed squarely at Hollywood and the culture surrounding it. Basic Instinct and Showgirls was like a dare to Hollywood to release them. All his movies were a satirical commentary on something. That's more than you can say about any big budget action movie director today. I think that is what made his movies such classics that stand the test of time.

He's a great director and I would love to see him helm another big action movie but I think he went back to making smaller movies in his homeland.



Absolutely.


What I also thought of the first ST was the use of ... 'Do you want to know more?' with a mouse cursor.

How many web sites have that on them now... even if abbr. down to 'more...'
 
Old 02 February 2013   #69
I know this thread is old, but I finally watched the whole film. It was waaayyyyy better than I thought it was going to be. Maybe I was in the right mood this time. I mentioned before I couldn't make it through the first ten minutes. Now, having see it all, I am pretty impressed.

I didn't really like Appleseed (except that the city and technology looked great) or the other movies made by that studio, but I prefer this kind of film, and those like Resident Evil: Damnation, to the 3D cartoons that are constantly be spat out into cinemas. In fact, I don't think I have watched such a 3D cartoon since Up. I am more into stuff like Beowulf and Final Fantasy. I hope this Starship Troopers film proves successful enough that there will be more.

Because of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, and the poor box office performance of other realistic Cg films, we may never see another huge epic in theaters, but films like this Starship Troopers Invasion and Resident Evil Damnation may keep the form alive, even if for direct to DVD fare. I ca't imagine what realistic CG films will look like 2 years from now! Look at the latest games!

This movie is not without its flaws, but I would welcome much more of this type of film.
__________________
Terrence Walker
Studio ArtFX
Learn How to Make Your Own Animated Projects!
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!
 
Old 02 February 2013   #70
Originally Posted by teruchan: I know this thread is old, but I finally watched the whole film. It was waaayyyyy better than I thought it was going to be. Maybe I was in the right mood this time. I mentioned before I couldn't make it through the first ten minutes. Now, having see it all, I am pretty impressed.

I didn't really like Appleseed (except that the city and technology looked great) or the other movies made by that studio, but I prefer this kind of film, and those like Resident Evil: Damnation, to the 3D cartoons that are constantly be spat out into cinemas. In fact, I don't think I have watched such a 3D cartoon since Up. I am more into stuff like Beowulf and Final Fantasy. I hope this Starship Troopers film proves successful enough that there will be more.

Because of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, and the poor box office performance of other realistic Cg films, we may never see another huge epic in theaters, but films like this Starship Troopers Invasion and Resident Evil Damnation may keep the form alive, even if for direct to DVD fare. I ca't imagine what realistic CG films will look like 2 years from now! Look at the latest games!

This movie is not without its flaws, but I would welcome much more of this type of film.


There's the planned CG Animated film "Thunder Run ".

I have RE: Damnation but I've yet to watch it through and through to the end. It seems in general the Japanese when doing CG animation just stop a bit short of adding that last 5% needed to make the images really stand out...

And yes, I'm aware that costs are involved to get that last bit... just saying it's not there usually when the Japanese consider it done.
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
My ArtStation
 
Old 02 February 2013   #71
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: There's the planned CG Animated film "Thunder Run ".

I have RE: Damnation but I've yet to watch it through and through to the end. It seems in general the Japanese when doing CG animation just stop a bit short of adding that last 5% needed to make the images really stand out...

And yes, I'm aware that costs are involved to get that last bit... just saying it's not there usually when the Japanese consider it done.


Have you seen Plan Z?
__________________
Terrence Walker
Studio ArtFX
Learn How to Make Your Own Animated Projects!
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!
 
Old 02 February 2013   #72
Originally Posted by teruchan: Have you seen Plan Z?


Nope.. you have a link to a trailer? Seems a LOT of films call themselves Plan Z or reference a Plan Z.
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
My ArtStation
 
Old 02 February 2013   #73
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Nope.. you have a link to a trailer? Seems a LOT of films call themselves Plan Z or reference a Plan Z.


My mistake. I guess in English it is written Planzet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzx5B08_fMk
__________________
Terrence Walker
Studio ArtFX
Learn How to Make Your Own Animated Projects!
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!
 
Old 02 February 2013   #74
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
__________________
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.