StarShip Troopers..Again

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2012   #16
Space + explosions = awesomeness. Im watching that!

Originally Posted by Srek: You mean Heinleins book? Yes, i don't think any of the makers of the films came anywhere near that ever.

Which is a good thing. Wasted hours of my life reading that rubbish. It's essentially just a very long pro-military, pro-war propaganda pamphlet wrapped in a sci-fi cover. I really like Verhoevens film because it's a brilliant satire of the original book.

I especially remember two nauseating bits from the book. One is where the hero is pondering the war and all and goes "Yeah, all my friends were dismembered and eaten by bugs.. but my time in the military was the best time of my life!" And the other is the part where his sissy, hippie-pacifist father finally owns up that he was all wrong and that war is awesome, and joins the army.

Old 03 March 2012   #17
That book is freaking terrible, it's like the boring novelization of Triumph of the Will.

Old 03 March 2012   #18
Video Copilot lens flares activate!

Old 03 March 2012   #19
I think the aspects of the book that people missed the most from the movies are the powered armor suits. Otherwise Heinlein's stuff can get a bit overblown.

I thought Verhoeven's version was great biting satire, it was just the "t-shirts in war" stuff and some of the setups that made it seem overly silly.

Old 03 March 2012   #20
Originally Posted by BigPixolin: Video Copilot lens flares activate!

chromatic aberration engaged

Old 03 March 2012   #21
I can't wait, but just from the start it feels very much like they took the story from Armor. http://www.amazon.com/Armor-John-Steakley/dp/0886773687

Old 03 March 2012   #22
Originally Posted by Crotalis: I actually think the best representation so far was the SST computer animated cartoon from the early 2000's. Verhoeven has mentioned that he wanted to do the "Ape" suits of the humans as well as the bugs, but there wasn't enough money in the budget so he dropped the power armor. The cartoon kept the "propoganda" style feel to the war, but also was able to include some of the tech from the book. Quite entertaining as I recall.

Yes, Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles. You can find eps on youtube. It was shockingly good for its day, and holds up pretty well even now. I'm baffled as to who their target audience was since it wasn't really a kiddie show, and was on in the early morning with all the other kid cartoons. It was surprisingly mature in some respects.

Old 03 March 2012   #23
Originally Posted by Artbot: Yes, Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles. You can find eps on youtube. It was shockingly good for its day, and holds up pretty well even now. I'm baffled as to who their target audience was since it wasn't really a kiddie show, and was on in the early morning with all the other kid cartoons. It was surprisingly mature in some respects.

I bought the pack of dvds with some poster that came with the box set. I still enjoy watching it here and there.

Old 03 March 2012   #24
I get the feeling this film will never see the inside of a theatre. Also, not showing any faces... not a good sign.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 03 March 2012   #25
Originally Posted by BigPixolin: Video Copilot lens flares activate!

Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: chromatic aberration engaged

I really "lol'd" reading that!!

Old 03 March 2012   #26
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: chromatic aberration engaged

Shaky cam here... all ready and good to go

Old 03 March 2012   #27
Originally Posted by Crotalis: .....Verhoeven has mentioned that he wanted to do the "Ape" suits of the humans as well as the bugs, .....

Ape suits?

Guessing Verhoeven didn't read the book either?

Old 03 March 2012   #28
Yes. Ape suits. It's what they called them in the cartoon. And the war game. Pedantic much, or did you not read the rest of the thread where I talk about the book? I believe they are even referred to in the book as looking like "steel gorillas" but I could be remembering that part wrong. Anyway, you joined the thread just to say that?

Quote: Yes, Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles. You can find eps on youtube. It was shockingly good for its day, and holds up pretty well even now. I'm baffled as to who their target audience was since it wasn't really a kiddie show, and was on in the early morning with all the other kid cartoons. It was surprisingly mature in some respects.

That's it! Thanks. It was driving me nuts to not remember the title. I'm going to "Amazon" that at lunch today!

Last edited by Crotalis : 03 March 2012 at 12:37 PM.

Old 03 March 2012   #29
So apparently it's a Japanese studio doing a full 3d anime.... this is just getting stranger.

Old 03 March 2012   #30
Quote: So apparently it's a Japanese studio doing a full 3d anime.... this is just getting stranger.

lol I don't know ... At this point I think that's the only combination of medium/producer that this property hasn't been tried in yet.

Thread Closed share thread