StarShip Troopers..Again

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2012
StarShip Troopers..Again

Full CG animated feature this time.

SEE HERE

cheers

03 March 2012
Crysis/Star Craft 2, looks nice but it doesnt excite me.

03 March 2012
I'm surprised I hadn't heard about this, or that there isn't more hype. Not necessarily because of the subject, but because people are always saying they want a non "cartoony" animated film.

www.MichaelSime.com

03 March 2012
I think they forgot what Starship Troopers was about...

03 March 2012
Originally Posted by darthviper107: I think they forgot what Starship Troopers was about...

You mean Heinleins book? Yes, i don't think any of the makers of the films came anywhere near that ever.

03 March 2012
Quote: You mean Heinleins book? Yes, i don't think any of the makers of the films came anywhere near that ever.

Agreed, but then several hundred pages of a soldier living his life and not firing a single shot in anger (except in the intro) probably wouldn't make for the best movie in the world ...

03 March 2012
It may not be fair to judge this by the 1st trailer, which doesn't show much, but it looks terrible to me so far...Very Crysis-like in a bad way...

03 March 2012
Originally Posted by DePaint: It may not be fair to judge this by the 1st trailer, which doesn't show much, but it looks terrible to me so far...Very Crysis-like in a bad way...

Agreed ,I Will have to wait and see more but right now it looks almost like "Cartoon network" TV quality CG to my eyes.

Cheers

03 March 2012
Originally Posted by Crotalis: Agreed, but then several hundred pages of a soldier living his life and not firing a single shot in anger (except in the intro) probably wouldn't make for the best movie in the world ...

My thoughts exactly. I always wondered about the endless posts that argue and bitch about how "it's not like the book", or the movie is "an abomination to the genius that was Heinlein" or whatever. But the book is not much more than a diary/internal monologue of a space-grunt in training. Interesting, for sure, but hardly an exciting movie premise.

FWIW, I thought the Verhoeven movie nailed the episodic, pseudo-satiric, amp-ed-up war mongering of the book almost perfectly.

03 March 2012
umm.. yeah, this trailer is not very exciting.

03 March 2012
Originally Posted by Crotalis: Agreed, but then several hundred pages of a soldier living his life and not firing a single shot in anger (except in the intro) probably wouldn't make for the best movie in the world ...

Not every movie has to be about bullets and exploding spacecrafts and filmed by M.Bay either.
Heinleins book is gold. The slow build up in the book is awesome. Imho the right director could probably do it justice. I live for the moments when sci fi movies go to movie awards and collect gold, and not just in special effects category, but in best movie category as well.

The way Heinlein described troopers descent on Klendathu surface, the fictional tech aspects of the entire air raid, the power suits, genius!
"Frying bacon, sir. I hear frying bacon!" I'l never forget that line.

On topic. Hard to judge what to expect by this trailer. Except the nice looking power suit and that uber macho monologue that I dont like that much we barely see anything.

03 March 2012
Quote: Not every movie has to be about bullets and exploding spacecrafts and filmed by M.Bay either. Heinleins book is gold. The slow build up in the book is awesome. Imho the right director could probably do it justice. I live for the moments when sci fi movies go to movie awards and collect gold, and not just in special effects category, but in best movie category as well.

I'm not saying every movie has to be an action film (and I tend to really dislike Bay's style anyway), but for my money, if I'm going to watch a movie about a man basically thinking to himself, I'll watch Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. That at least had some interesting parts. There are a million and one more interesting books regarding the "life of a soldier" and a lot of them are actually true stories. If I'm after a slice of life type of thing I'll get one of those, so the book fails for me on that level as well, and I'm willing to bet that a lot of people are going to feel that way. I'm glad the book works for you, and I know a few others who read it and liked it, but I don't know very many people who would want to watch a movie of it.

Quote: My thoughts exactly. I always wondered about the endless posts that argue and bitch about how "it's not like the book", or the movie is "an abomination to the genius that was Heinlein" or whatever. But the book is not much more than a diary/internal monologue of a space-grunt in training. Interesting, for sure, but hardly an exciting movie premise.

FWIW, I thought the Verhoeven movie nailed the episodic, pseudo-satiric, amp-ed-up war mongering of the book almost perfectly.

My theory on that is that a lot of people who claim to like SST have not actually read the book. It's like the movie "Dune". It's just one of those things where, when someone brings it up, a lot of people just say they liked it because they think that's what they're expected to say. Meanwhile half the people I know who claim it (Dune) was a "great film" have not actually seen it. lol

Regarding the last part of your quote - have you ever watched the commentary for that movie? It's Verhoeven and the screen writer (who's name escapes me for some reason) and the writer is saying he was shooting more for what you mention and the whole time Verhoeven is screaming (literally in parts) about how it's a metaphor for the United States. It's hilarious ...

I actually think the best representation so far was the SST computer animated cartoon from the early 2000's. Verhoeven has mentioned that he wanted to do the "Ape" suits of the humans as well as the bugs, but there wasn't enough money in the budget so he dropped the power armor. The cartoon kept the "propoganda" style feel to the war, but also was able to include some of the tech from the book. Quite entertaining as I recall.

Quote: On topic. Hard to judge what to expect by this trailer. Except the nice looking power suit and that uber macho monologue that I dont like that much we barely see anything.

On this we agree!

Last edited by Crotalis : 03 March 2012 at 12:42 PM.

03 March 2012
Imo Starship Troopers simply isn't a book that translates well into a film. It wasn't one of the best of RAHs books anyway and adapting it to a movie will distort it to uselesness.
I would think that Friday could be much more interesting as a movie.
Cheers
Björn

03 March 2012
What a starcraft cinematic ripoff.
Only worse.

03 March 2012
Quote: "It's like the movie "Dune". It's just one of those things where, when someone brings it up, a lot of people just say they liked it because they think that's what they're expected to say. Meanwhile half the people I know who claim it (Dune) was a "great film" have not actually seen it. lol"

Interestingly just completed the entire "Dune Book Series (Frank &Brian Herbert)
on My Kindle Fire.
The Complexity and Density of that universe can never be translated into to a movie or even a Mini-series IMHO.

Cheers

Thread Closed share thread