Bad CGI effects

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03 March 2012   #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by grundelboy
Case in point the bad 4 armed character design in John Carter Mars from Double Negative. Ooh it's got 4 arms it must be an alien.


Actually, they trimmed some arms off for practicality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Five or six had already hatched and the grotesque caricatures which sat blinking in the sunlight were enough to cause me to doubt my sanity. They seemed mostly head, with little scrawny bodies, long necks and six legs, or, as I afterward learned, two legs and two arms, with an intermediary pair of limbs which could be used at will either as arms or legs. Their eyes were set at the extreme sides of their heads a trifle above the center and protruded in such a manner that they could be directed either forward or back and also independently of each other, thus permitting this queer animal to look in any direction, or in two directions at once, without the necessity of turning the head. The ears, which were slightly above the eyes and closer together, were small, cup-shaped antennae, protruding not more than an inch on these young specimens. Their noses were but longitudinal slits in the center of their faces, midway between their mouths and ears.

There was no hair on their bodies, which were of a very light yellowish-green color. In the adults, as I was to learn quite soon, this color deepens to an olive green and is darker in the male than in the female. Further, the heads of the adults are not so out of proportion to their bodies as in the case of the young.

The iris of the eyes is blood red, as in Albinos, while the pupil is dark. The eyeball itself is very white, as are the teeth. These latter add a most ferocious appearance to an otherwise fearsome and terrible countenance, as the lower tusks curve upward to sharp points which end about where the eyes of earthly human beings are located. The whiteness of the teeth is not that of ivory, but of the snowiest and most gleaming of china. Against the dark background of their olive skins their tusks stand out in a most striking manner, making these weapons present a singularly formidable appearance.





And for the mars dog:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Rice Burroughs
In response to her call I obtained my first sight of a new Martian wonder. It waddled in on its ten short legs, and squatted down before the girl like an obedient puppy. The thing was about the size of a Shetland pony, but its head bore a slight resemblance to that of a frog, except that the jaws were equipped with three rows of long, sharp tusks.





Cheers,

Michael
 
Old 03 March 2012   #32
Tsk. That Edgar Rice Burroughs is a right one isn't he? Posting that sort of nonsense.
__________________
Over one hundred polygons
 
Old 03 March 2012   #33
i think another contributing factor is using something thats "trendy".. example, the "explosion ring" on the death star. weve seen that thing sooooo many times that it feels abused and dated now.. the practical explosions hold up because they are, well practical.. i actually miss the days of cloud tanks and gunpowder.. I think the best CGI effects are the ones that go under the radar and support the story. too bad they actually build stories around effects these days..
__________________
nietzsche - "God is dead"

God- "nietzsche is dead"
 
Old 03 March 2012   #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipnap
i think another contributing factor is using something thats "trendy".. example, the "explosion ring" on the death star. weve seen that thing sooooo many times that it feels abused and dated now.. the practical explosions hold up because they are, well practical.. i actually miss the days of cloud tanks and gunpowder.. I think the best CGI effects are the ones that go under the radar and support the story. too bad they actually build stories around effects these days..


And still few vfx folks are millionaires unlike screenwriters :P
__________________
LinkedIN
VIMEO

- My thoughts are my own and should not be confused with anyone else's.
 
Old 03 March 2012   #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by azozel
... I must say that Accusing Double Negative directly of producing bad CG is a low blow.


Why? They created him. I need to say that i haven't seen the film. I'm just curious why a cgi house cant be blamed for bad cgi.
__________________
www.weliketomakethings.com
 
Old 03 March 2012   #36
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethule
Why? They created him. I need to say that i haven't seen the film. I'm just curious why a cgi house cant be blamed for bad cgi.


Because its an over simplification of things. The fact is that DNeg have a long history of superb work to their name. So when a film comes along that they've worked on, and the quality isn't as good as their previous output, then the blame surely lies elsewhere. This can be down to the director's choices, the art direction, budget constraints, or any number of other factors.

Having just seen John Carter this evening, my personal feeling regarding the visuals is that the film suffered from overly stylised art direction. I personally think the creature designs were too stylised to stand believably alongside the humans. I think the entire film would have worked better visually as an animated feature.
__________________
leighvanderbyl.com
 
Old 03 March 2012   #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
Because its an over simplification of things. The fact is that DNeg have a long history of superb work to their name. So when a film comes along that they've worked on, and the quality isn't as good as their previous output, then the blame surely lies elsewhere. This can be down to the director's choices, the art direction, budget constraints, or any number of other factors.

Having just seen John Carter this evening, my personal feeling regarding the visuals is that the film suffered from overly stylised art direction. I personally think the creature designs were too stylised to stand believably alongside the humans. I think the entire film would have worked better visually as an animated feature.



I understand that its an oversimplification and i agree DNeg are amazing, but even the best sometimes miss a beat. Not every single thing ILM or Weta has done has been perfect and amazing. There have been a few clunkers.

if the cgi was bad because of the design, then fine, that's not their fault. But if the cgi is bad because the cgi is bad, then... But again, i haven't seen it yet so i cant give a proper opinion.
__________________
www.weliketomakethings.com

Last edited by thethule : 03 March 2012 at 11:42 PM.
 
Old 03 March 2012   #38
Wasn't vfx job on JCM collaborative effort, as I understood several major studios worked on that one, and beside that at the end of the day we are humans, not robots, and we make mistakes.
__________________
www.inbitwin.com
 
Old 03 March 2012   #39
Quote:
"and beside that at the end of the day we are humans, not robots, and we make mistakes."


The Lighting on the composited creatures in the "warg" attack in LOTR "the two towers" was really sub par compared to the CG in of the rest of the film
even some NON CG Mates of mine mention it to me.


Cheers
 
Old 03 March 2012   #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX1311
The Lighting on the composited creatures in the "warg" attack in LOTR "the two towers" was really sub par compared to the CG in of the rest of the film
even some NON CG Mates of mine mention it to me.


Cheers


I guess we won't mention the "Dark Elf Queen" sequence in the FOTR. Yikes! There are actually quite a lot of "bad" cgi effects in all the LOTR movies. As massive as those movies are they get a pass for most of it. Except the Elf Queen sequence, they need to totally redo that.



Even the transition/morph in this scene is awful. Sorry for bagging on any interns who worked on it.
 
Old 03 March 2012   #41
I think people can tend to exaggerate how detrimental 'bad' effects are to a movie.

If the film is compelling enough, you just accept what you're seeing. Suspension of disbelief. It's why some effects films from decades ago are still perfectly watchable and believable, despite the limitations of the time. It's why I can watch a stage play despite constant reminders that the sets are phony.

It's super easy to single out effects shots that look a bit off. It's a lot harder to identify every last little giveaway and finesse the shot to the point where no one can accuse it of looking 'fake'.

But where the film just isn't engrossing, you tend to notice it more. You've become detached from the story, and you start picking up on things in the background.
 
Old 03 March 2012   #42
Quote:
Wasn't vfx job on JCM collaborative effort, as I understood several major studios worked on that one, and beside that at the end of the day we are humans, not robots, and we make mistakes.


Some major studios did indeed work on it and some screwed up.

b
 
Old 03 March 2012   #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krotma
Dug up this ol' chestnut from Terranova (and shows like V or spartacus are waaaaaay worse)


Holy ****! That's one of the worst greenscreen comps I've seen in a long time - how do TV shows get away with this ****?
__________________
Andrew G. Morgan
Writer/Director
Survivor Films Ltd.
www.survivorfilms.co.uk
 
Old 03 March 2012   #44
Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
Because its an over simplification of things. The fact is that DNeg have a long history of superb work to their name. So when a film comes along that they've worked on, and the quality isn't as good as their previous output, then the blame surely lies elsewhere. This can be down to the director's choices, the art direction, budget constraints, or any number of other factors. ....I personally think the creature designs were too stylised to stand believably alongside the humans. I think the entire film would have worked better visually as an animated feature.
Exactly, Couldn't have said it better myself. For all we know no one in the london office actually worked on the film and had the singapore wage slaves burning through shots. It's tough to say. Now I wish I stayed through the credits.
 
Old 03 March 2012   #45
Quote:
Originally Posted by azozel
For all we know no one in the london office actually worked on the film and had the singapore wage slaves burning through shots.
.......
__________________
SKETCHBOOK
MDI
moonjam.com
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.