Pixar Undergraduate Program 2012

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2012
Congrats and thanks to you guys too!

It's interesting that a way higher percentage of people posting here got phone interviews than in last year's thread, though the sample size is so small it's probably just a coincidence.

04 April 2012
Hey guys~ So I just got the acceptance call last week! Did anyone else make it in?

04 April 2012
Congrats!

Didn't make it myself. I got the impression from the interview they thought my reel was too one-sided, especially once I told them that the cloth was sculpted, not dynamics, and I hadn't made any significant use of tools I wrote myself. Still, it was an honor to get as far as I did.

04 April 2012
Hey aiyaitsai,

Congratulations! unfortunately I didn't get in though :/

I applied for the technical PUP and could tell my interview didn't go too well. Got a rejection email on wednesday.

Overall I'm happy I got an interview

And congratulations to you again

04 April 2012
Thanks guys! Yeah it was really impressive just to get the interview. Best of luck to you all. Anyone apply to other studios?

04 April 2012
haha unfortunately no. I'm just a sophomore, and wanted to stay in the bay area of California so I was limited to a few if not nearly any options.

Would you mind sharing your interview tips? That's the part I had bombed on :/

04 April 2012
Ahhh. But the summer of sophomore year is a great year to start internships. You should try to apply to some smaller houses nearby for some experience. I'm not closely familiar with the West Coast (I'm in NYC) but I'd imagine there are plenty of smaller shops in Cali? And wow to have gotten an interview as a sophomore! Impressive.

As for advice I wasn't sure I did great on my interview, haha. But I can share the tips the previous girls that went to PUP told me. During the interview they really grade personality and your passion to be at Pixar and learn. So a person with a brighter/sociable personality may be chosen over someone that's quieter/more apathetic even if he/she has more skill. And also be open to learning new things even if it seems unappealing. Like they asked me if I would be interested in scripting. The correct answer is yes.

Uhhh yeah. I think that's it. Hope that helped!

04 April 2012
Originally Posted by aiyaitsai: Anyone apply to other studios?

Yeah. Laika and Disney are the big two, then a bunch of game studios and add houses.

04 April 2012
Thanks
It does help. I had a hard time trying to explain my work. I was struggling between trying not to be too insulting by assuming they knew too little, or by under explaining it and assuming they knew what I meant.

Overall, I think I have a good head start for next year. Not just for PUP, but internships in general.

I hope you enjoy your summer there

04 April 2012
Ah yeah. I kinda just talked to em as if they knew. I mean they're all TDs. If something I said wasn't clear they would ask for me to clarify. Thanks. And best of luck to you!

@meloncov; Nice. I had looked at Laika but their feature film art internships were like... cleaning paint cans. And there are more impressive ad houses than Laika's ad house. Best of luck to you as well.

04 April 2012
wow Pixar! congratulations cant think of a better place to start a career, BTW I thought your showreel was great

04 April 2012
Originally Posted by aiyaitsai: @meloncov; Nice. I had looked at Laika but their feature film art internships were like... cleaning paint cans. And there are more impressive ad houses than Laika's ad house. Best of luck to you as well.

Laika appealed to me because someone I met here on CGTalk said they give modelers more space to develop concepts in 3d than most studios, and that they even had a dedicated modeling internships (most add houses I've seen don't).

Last edited by Meloncov : 04 April 2012 at 01:33 AM.

04 April 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread