REVERSION - A new 11-minute Blender Short Film (coming soon!)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2012
Front page

Congrats on finishing this great looking short.
Oh and thanks for showing folks what is possible.
Keep up the good work

08 August 2012
congrats to everyone involved, a huge accomplishment for a student film project!

i would edit your first post on this thread and add a link to your film, since the front page link goes to page 1 of this thread.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by ragdoll: congrats to everyone involved, a huge accomplishment for a student film project!

i would edit your first post on this thread and add a link to your film, since the front page link goes to page 1 of this thread.

That is a good point.
The link is at the bottom but it might not be that obvious to many visitors. A linked screenshot might even be a nice touch.

08 August 2012
Really nice sets, I really enjoyed the lighting and materials on the lizard scene where its in a muted light and you can see the subtle hue variation and colors in its skin. I can see people who are big into stories laying into elements of this film, I personally enjoyed it as a sequence of interesting shots with flashes of brilliance in there, definitely had a fond Jurassic park moment with the lizard in the light, not so much the ROOAOAARR animation though hehe. Great job.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by Kanga: Yep, I thought it was a pretty neat short.
Plugged

Cheerio

Really?!? *Tears welling up* "I would like to thank the Academy..."

Seriously, it's a great honor. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

08 August 2012
@AangtheAvatar: Thanks for the praise. Indeed, it is possible. I can say AFTER we finished. It is possible.

@ragdoll: Thanks. And yes, I've edited the first post. I didn't even realize I forgot to post it in Finished Works or something. But the country issued a Code Red.

@conbom: Again, you can thank the Traditional Painter for that. REVERSION had a very unique role for the Traditional Painter. In this case, Wes Talbott and I worked on the concept of the creature. Me mostly on pencils, but Wes is the gifted painter in our group. To transpose the pencils, Wes added some features of his own and studied some African snakes or other animals. Interestingly, Wes is also the texture map painter for the monster, so his concepts directly transposed into texture maps. Wes, me, and Mitch were also the artists doing the Color Scripts/Baseline color concepts for the shots and scenes. So that contributed to how the monster looked in each and every scene. We actually had versions of the monster's texture map with slight differences (same with Eve). A lot of this emanated from the fact that the entire Color/Lighting strategy was based on Traditional artwork and it treated every shot as an open canvas.

08 August 2012
Sweet! Cool accomplishment, to be proud of sure. 4:45; love that shot. Nice opening camera truck, the whole thing moved pretty well. Glad your team realized the vision.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by Narntson: Sweet! Cool accomplishment, to be proud of sure. 4:45; love that shot. Nice opening camera truck, the whole thing moved pretty well. Glad your team realized the vision.

Thanks! It was a remarkable experience, that's for sure.

08 August 2012
I thought I would mention you have a typo in the link in your first post now. It is missing a period.

http://reversionmovie.blogspot.com/

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by podmon: I thought I would mention you have a typo in the link in your first post now. It is missing a period.

http://reversionmovie.blogspot.com/

Thanks. I could really use more Quality Control over here. lol.

08 August 2012
hi i just saw your student animation, is this your 1st time doing short animation? but relly good job! you have that feeling like something happen here and we sent 1 scout to check it out.

if you want some feedback i happy to give some also if you can return favour by critique my stuff i did in blender ^^

08 August 2012
I LOVE the camera moves and the overall atmosphere of the setting. It just "felt" right.

I recently completed a short and I know how much blood and sweat is put into a project - especially one that looks as good as this. Congratulations! And I certainly hope something MORE comes of this. I'd like to see the entire story.

Again... GREAT job!

08 August 2012
Congrats to you and your team. I can imagine it was huge effort especially considering the length of the short. I love camera work, color palette and overall lighting, it had a nice cinematic feeling.

If you're looking for critique I think the biggest flaws were the character animation (the walking sequences in particular), organic modeling (female face and the creature) and the surfacing/shading (most surfaces had a certain plastic-like quality). Also I thought it was a bit too slow paced.

All in all it was very well done. Looking forward to see your next short.

cheers,
Matthias

08 August 2012
Quote: "If you're looking for critique I think the biggest flaws were the character animation (the walking sequences in particular),"

Hi I just watched it
to be brutally honest the Character animation was way below Blenders current capabilities Mate.

It looked as though they used All FK and Linear interpolation which made her movement rather jerky with a distracting amount of foot slide.

it reminded alot of some of the early animation in
the animated TV series "starship" trooper chronicles"
using a late 1990's version of Lightwave 3D.
or "War planets Shadow Raiders." another animated series in the late 1990's from Mainframe Entertainment.

Even the waterfall in the Arboretum(sp?) near the end was choppy and looked nearly like stop motion.

Not trying to be harsh Mate but when I hear about a New blender short My expectations are of something on the level Sintel and least in the animation and FX areas.

Cheers

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by THX1311: Not trying to be harsh Mate but when I hear about a New blender short My expectations are of something on the level Sintel and least in the animation and FX areas.

Cheers

To be equally brutally honest the 'Making of Sintel' shows a big team of semi to pro artists. If anything this showcases what a group of students can do with that particular software package. So A/ students well done and B/Blender, not so shabby.

Thread Closed share thread