REVERSION - A new 11-minute Blender Short Film (coming soon!)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #46
"Principles of Set Lighting" is now available on the blog.

Old 08 August 2012   #47
I think this will be a great movie, keep up the good work

Old 08 August 2012   #48
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: "Principles of Set Lighting" is now available on the blog.

That was an interesting read. I'm surprised how well your lighter managed to lit those scenes with spotlights. It's a bit dangerous though, especially for beginners relying on this technique (as it looks like the article is aimed at beginners), as it's easy forgetting about light motivation. So the lightsource either should be hidden from the camera or be motivated from the scene. Sorry, I wanted to post it in blog comments, but I don't want exposing my gmail to search engines, and there isn't anonymous posting.
But that's interesting, I will try lighting some scenes this way, thanks. I will wait till release as it's definitely interesting.

Old 08 August 2012   #49
Originally Posted by mister3d: That was an interesting read. I'm surprised how well your lighter managed to lit those scenes with spotlights. It's a bit dangerous though, especially for beginners relying on this technique (as it looks like the article is aimed at beginners), as it's easy forgetting about light motivation. So the lightsource either should be hidden from the camera or be motivated from the scene. Sorry, I wanted to post it in blog comments, but I don't want exposing my gmail to search engines, and there isn't anonymous posting.
But that's interesting, I will try lighting some scenes this way, thanks. I will wait till release as it's definitely interesting.

You are correct in that Lighting-by-way-of-Painting using colored lamps and such sort of flips the entire "Lighting in 3D" notion on its head.

However, this is why in REVERSION's setup, the Traditional Painter/Artist who helps conceive the Color schemes and Color Script Baselines for key sequences is very important. It's up to this person to determine what the "Light Motivation" is and to make key overall lighting decisions - in traditional art. So what the VFX/Lighting/Shading artists have to work with is not reality itself anymore, but the interpretation of the Traditional Painter/Artist.

Also when the images are rough paintings, it is very comfortable to look at them and say: "Well that part is a bit too dark, and this part isn't blue enough." It's very easy to push it back, make changes, save a JPEG and critique again. While this is happening, Low-Res versions of the character are being posed and there are playblasts to look at.

It's interesting, liberating, and in some ways, it gets scenes done a lot faster, because when interpreting artwork, the Traditional Painter usually has whittled down the number of variables for a scene's mood down to the 3 or 4 things you need to nail it.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 08 August 2012 at 12:24 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #50
"The Render Guide" is now available on the blog.

A little over a day to go.... REVERSION launches within the next 24 hours.

Old 08 August 2012   #51
Good luck! I'm waiting to watch it

Old 08 August 2012   #52
Due to an issue brought about by record levels of rainfall in the Philippines, I am making the decision to launch REVERSION many hours ahead of its planned launching time.

Around two other team members can launch the film actually even if something were to happen to me. But I wanted to be able to do it regardless of what happens where I live.

Throughout this experience my team has not been short of supporting me and finally patting me on the back when it was all finished.

Today I want to pay tribute to them. My team. My guys. Today we realize a small dream.
May we achieve many more in the future.

And also to you, our viewers, audiences, fans, even the inevitable haters. You are the reason people make motion pictures. Long may you continue to watch them. Long may you talk about them and long may you inspire others to make them.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 08 August 2012 at 10:33 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #53
Thumbs up

Just watched this. First of all, congratulations on finishing it, as it's rarely done at all by people, which don't have the financial backup for the project. Usually such projects fall apart at early stages.
Generally, it looks very good. I especially enjoyed:
-the atmosphere
-the color palette
-lighting
-music
-direction (almost all), meaning camera work and editing
-the overall quality is up to date, and looks like a well-done cinematics for a videogame
-the design is very good, I have nothing to criticize about it
-I'm not an animator, so I can't comment on it, but I think it looks pretty good, though at times it'c clear it's not motion capture, but I think it looks fine

The script is fine, as it's presumed to be for boys by boys and about boys. I mean, it's certainly a male movie, and this is fine. Perhaps females may not appreciate it, and I think Lunatique will criticize it, but I'd say it's good. It's a nice cinematics, which looks like an intro for a game or something like this.

Some minor points which could be improved:
-the female character face could be improved a bit, having a better texturing work. It looks fine, and it even has this retro style, which, if is supposed, looks fine. I really liked the closeup shot of eyes and how it was lit. It has something to do with Tomb Raider cinematics to me.
-the end, when the animal jumps onto the character, the transition between titles and the jump itself its too fast. In the moment we prepare to get some kind of "attack", we get the titles, which is therefore hard to perceive fast. So, minimum I would leave more blank darkness (just for 3-4 seconds more), or anything other. For example, it could be blood on the screen (and we don't know whose it is), or anything graphical about genes etc. I understand ending is very difficult to pull off, but it's not a big problem in this case. Still, I think it can be easily done and add to the effect of narration. Maybe she could have a barbecue... I know it's too much perhaps
-breathing: we don't need to hear it so much. It's ok at the start, but then we could have less of it at times
-Depth of field looks wrong in two shots. Specifically, the sequence with the monitor (the first one) would have more of it at the back, and then the sequence with the spiral - something would be out of focus there, it couldn't be both focused.
-the creature bottom (the green stomach) is less believable than his upper part - I mean the texture

I think, and I'm even sure, this movie can be called a big success. A gigantic effort. I'm curious as to what your future plans with this team?

Old 08 August 2012   #54
All your comments are spot-on.

The ending is interesting, and I find your comment is valid.

It is true there is a "retro" feeling that we wanted. Originally we were experimenting actually with replicating Betamax/VHS style filters because we wanted to confuse people about whether it was a new movie or a "lost movie from the time before optical media was invented".

There was actually not a single frame of motion capture in the entire film. It's just that if your animators/keyframers can start while the modeling is still around 75% percent, it basically means you have trains running in parallel and they can go through 2 or 3 versions of the motion before we settle on the one we want.

I can also safely say that in the end the scope of the entire story was too big for the 11 minutes we could only produce for this short. Maybe one day we'll tell more of it .. or all of it.

Thanks for watching it and I think your feedback on it, as well as your criticism, is spot-on and well received.

Old 08 August 2012   #55
Congrats to your team for finishing. I feel the biggest positive you can take from this project is that you actually went ahead to finish it. 11 minutes is a long duration. Hope you all have learned a great deal from this.

Technical problems aside, given the story I felt it was too long. Had it been a 4-5 min short with a more nifty cut, it would have been better. That would have also helped your team to address the issues with models and animation. Just my 2 cs.

It reminded me of Alien a lot. Definitely a good thing. Good luck with your future projects.

Old 08 August 2012   #56
I enjoyed that, well done indeed. I can just barely imagine the amount of time and work that went into this.

Old 08 August 2012   #57
I've begun making the switch over to Blender as my primary 3D application for personal / indie projects and just wanted to say watching that was very inspirational. It's amazing to see what skilled artists can do with that application. Thanks for sharing!

Old 08 August 2012   #58
I liked it a lot! Especially the lighting

Good work!
Shape from that thy work of art.
-Longfellow

Old 08 August 2012   #59
@redCigarette: That is an interesting comment. When we did one closed preview the film was actually longer in parts, and we were told it "felt" long because we went with too many slow pans.... a lot of suspense. We actually dropped one of the "wait then jump scare" parts. But if you're still reading that somehow, that's interesting. I think my view of editing is more "old-fashioned". I like the wide shot, I like Reverse-POV's and I only sparingly use the fast cuts that are usually used today. But yes, I can understand it feels long.

About the "Alien/Aliens" thing. We actually watched that in studying colors and lighting. You see there is a great disparity (particularly in Aliens) with regards to how the sets looked in "day lighting" and in the "controlled lighting" they used. In ordinary light conditions, the sets in Aliens really looked.... cheap.... like on an old 60's Flash-Gordon show. But by "painting it black" in the right places the Sets, and the Alien Queen in particular, took on a new look. We had some interesting use of "Negative Lamps" which was not described in the document because it was something Stefano came up with.

@Dillster: Would you believe that at the 90% mark someone actually deleted the whole production and we had to restore it from backups?

@grantmoore3d: Blender is definitely super-capable now. I think 2.49b (the version we used for REVERSION) was really the cut-off point where Blender finally hit a point in time where it could be used at this level. 2.5X and higher should be even better and at that point you could use Blender's more advanced explosion/particles functions instead of doing the "illusions, smoke, and mirrors" style that we were using to pull it off.

@halfPintMike: Thanks! It's always nice to hear from my friends in India!

I want to continue sending my appreciation to people watching this film. It's a remarkable experience for all of us.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 08 August 2012 at 12:00 AM.

Old 08 August 2012   #60
Yep, I thought it was a pretty neat short.
Plugged

Cheerio

Thread Closed share thread