Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #16
DanielWray
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Daniel Wray
Bsc Computer Animation & Digital SFX
United Kingdom

So far it's looking very nice, I like the lighting / look of the two environments, I'll be keepong a close eye on the blog... and spreading it via facebook, twitter and so on too!

Old 03-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #17
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWray
So far it's looking very nice, I like the lighting / look of the two environments, I'll be keepong a close eye on the blog... and spreading it via facebook, twitter and so on too!

Hey! Thanks a lot! That is so awesome of you.

If anybody got questions, email me at cgipadawan@gmail.com or private message me here. We know there are people there just hoping we hit upon an issue they are thinking about or dealing with when talking about animated shorts.

Don't forget to pick up your posters too!

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 03-11-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:44 AM   #18
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Hello everyone!

Okay! So our latest update is a turntable for one of our principal characters. You can find a higher-res version on the movie blog:

Also, Director's Commentary about how we approached character design and how it relates to some of the story elements in REVERSION.

I think this is also an important topic for people thinking about how to approach animated shorts which, by their very nature, have limited story possibilities.

Cheers!

P.S.: To those of you who were thinking of holding your breath until the trailer gets out, if you are able to hold your breath for a length of 30 days... You can begin doing so now.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:15 AM   #19
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Hello again to all my friends here,

We took some time off from the blog to sort a few things. We're just some two weeks away from Trailer Day.

In the meantime, we have another update, this time with regards to our sidearm prop.
Pistols are a special area of interest of mine, especially with the way they appear in movies:

So check it out over on the blog!

Again, we have an open floor for questions via email or pm for anyone out there wondering about this type of project.

Cheers!

Old 06-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #20
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

I know some people were wondering about how the project came together and what kind of software we used and what roles people played on the production.

Like I mentioned before we weren't really able to document our process properly. So we haven't been able to give very good feedback on questions like that.

However, we've finally managed to piece together a very good set of answers for an interview we recently did for Blender News.

You can head over to the blog to check it out.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #21
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

I have to thank Blender News for their help in covering REVERSION as a way of making up for our own lack of records/documentation about the actual method.

This time, Blender News talks a bit about our Cell Production System here.

There are constraints of course with time and space for the articles, but we talk about the Cells in a bit more detail on our blog.

We're less than a month away now.
Very excited for launch day.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:52 AM   #22
teruchan
Skeleton Man

portfolio
Terrence Walker
The Last King
of Scotland
Shanghai, China

Of course, it had to be on blogspot, which means I can't see it from where I am.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 07-11-2012, 04:28 AM   #23
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by teruchan
Of course, it had to be on blogspot, which means I can't see it from where I am.

I'd PM you, but for some reason the option isn't there.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #24
mjdowswell
Vegetable Pakora Man

portfolio
Michael Dowswell
Independent Filmmaker
Dallas, USA

This is looking really polished....I can't wait to see the 11 minutes.......I did a 11 minute sci-fi animation once and it was grueling.....but its so nice to have something longer to show.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #25
SkullboX
Suspended animation

Bastiaan Schravendeel
Utrecht, Netherlands

In the blog post you mention this in relation to the 'cell' process:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
"...there is little clutter in the process and almost no waste (we only have maybe 1 or 2 things that can be considered deleted scenes which we managed to drop before any assets were committed for it.)"
Did you mean that due to the 'cell production' process scenes had to be cut and if so why? You make it sound like those scenes had to be cut because they didn't need to be in the movie, which happens in any type of film production. : )

Good luck on the release of the film next month!

Old 07-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #26
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullboX
In the blog post you mention this in relation to the 'cell' process:
Did you mean that due to the 'cell production' process scenes had to be cut and if so why? You make it sound like those scenes had to be cut because they didn't need to be in the movie, which happens in any type of film production. : )

Good luck on the release of the film next month!

The Cell System was experimental. Again, I want to remind people that when we started REVERSION none of us knew if we'd get to the end.

That was the concept behind it being volunteer work and everybody being a student. It's no different from high-school guitar and drum players burning up the afternoon making noise in a garage after school.

The cell-rating for REVERSION was "2 cells maximum". And we were looking at a certain time frame to complete everything. There's another long story behind this "second cell" and in the end what really happened was "one cell replaced the other" and the first cell actually completed all the keyframing in advance. Well you know what they say of the plans of mice and men, hehehe.

The two scenes that were dropped would have added quite a bit of time to the production. Remember in this system we rated the value of scenes by number of on-screen minutes and the value in terms of working time. And these two scenes had siginificant VFX load. In a way, there is nothing in a CG animated film that does not cause VFX load because in a CG Animated film everything is VFX (as per Joe Letteri on The Adventures of Tintin).

Being that as it were. There were no assets yet made for these two sequences. One of them was a sort of hide-and-seek part with a jump-scare which we felt was a bit inappropriate given closed preview results of earlier test sequences. (Yes we did all of that testing and closed-door previews. Yes I'm THAT kind of Director. :P ) The other one that was dropped was actually plot-significant, but was written in a way that it was integrated into a protracted chase sequence and again, we were concerned about how much "exhaustion" it would cause.

These sorts of testing and "putting scenes in context immediately for a preview audience" is possible because of the way a cell can be directed to expel what should be the finished item for a specific point in time of the film. We do not do all Beauty Renders at the end, we do each Beauty Render according to specification and the movie fills out gradually. So we can collect some of these finished prints...edit them together...like dailies except they already have about 98-99% of final color. We sit some people down and say: "Well this is the part where X event has happened and we want you to tell us what you think." Being Digital of course helps in this regard cause you can just fire out short AVI clips for people to see. And then we can make decisions before other people have committed to something on the film.

That's how we dropped the two sequences without sitting on a bunch of unused assets. We still think of these as "deleted scenes" because to some extent we did have them on a storyboard which was very visual. So we knew what we were skipping.

If we had pressed to retain the sequences we would have been forced to work on the film for at least another 10 months ("jamming weekends") and the film would have been closer to 15 minutes.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 07-12-2012 at 11:59 PM.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #27
AangtheAvatar
Banned
portfolio
Aang Airbender
Air Temple, USA

Really clean work!
Almost to the level of movie quality. Definately shows what people can do when they put their skills together.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:33 AM   #28
obiwandk
Frequenter
portfolio
leif larsen
non
farsų, Denmark

Send a message via MSN to obiwandk
really looking forward to this movie best of luck mate

Old 07-13-2012, 03:53 AM   #29
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Thanks to everyone.

It's going to be an interesting time for all of us.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #30
derOesi
Expert

portfolio
Stephan Haidacher
Hamburg, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
Yes that is correct. It is kind of long.
One of the things we did do was formulate something we call "Parallel Animation Workflow". This is something we will discuss another time, but basically it was a bit like making mini-departments and it's based partially on the Digic Workflow (or what we think is the Digic Workflow), and the process used to create "Jurassic Park".

so ..uh... you guys dont work 24x 1h shifts on a single workstation like the rest of us? could you share some insight on this new technology used by digic(2012) and!! JurassicPark (1995)?

sorry couldnt resist

my portfolio - www.shaidacher.com
indie project - moldgame.wordpress.com

Thread Closed share thread