REVERSION - A new 11-minute Blender Short Film (coming soon!)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2012   #1
REVERSION - A new 11-minute Blender Short Film (Now Showing in HD!)

REVERSION is NOW SHOWING and Available in HD:

See The Movie Now!

===============================
Hello everyone!

After what has seemed like a significant amount of time used studying the craft, experimenting, and formulating solutions to various problems, we believe now is the time for us to begin sharing with the community at-large the imminent arrival of "REVERSION" - a new 11-minute animated film created entirely with Blender.

You can learn more about "REVERSION" at our official movie blog . This is not necessarily to promote the film (it is not yet finished). But, it is only at this time, when we feel we have learned enough to be able to talk to others about the experience, that we decided now was the time to reach out to the community.

For all purposes, "REVERSION" is a student film through and through. We did it primarily because we did not know how.

In particular, I am aware that many members of this forum are not only curious about Blender's production capability, but I also see frequently there are people who ask how they can make an animated film. This is our way of helping to share what we learned, and maybe to also serve as the medium for us sharing the challenges and the solutions. Because no matter how well one plans, there are challenges. And not just technical ones, but human ones as well, such as when an artist you were relying on suddenly suffers a debilitating wrist injury...

The blog will be updated in the coming days with more material. So this is an open invitation to our peers here on this forum to go there, check it out, and join us as we take the covers off of this new Blender adventure in the coming days.

I must also add that some of the team members who are part of "REVERSION" (including the Sound and Audio Team) are also members on this forum.

That's it for now.

Cheers!

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 08 August 2012 at 04:24 AM.

Old 03 March 2012   #2
That is a mammoth effort, looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Old 03 March 2012   #3
Canīt wait to see it.

Old 03 March 2012   #4
Thanks. We plan to do a lot of "Director's Commentary" in the blog for each material that comes out. So in that way you get the story of the film, but also how that particular part we are showing was done.

I think a lot of people will be interested when we get into the topic about the Visual Effects like smoke, gunfire, rainfall, and how to get them all rendering on a single PC without a farm... Admittedly of course when you make that choice you make certain compromises.

But again... we just wanted to share.

Old 03 March 2012   #5
Sounds very interesting, shall bookmark and look forward to seeing the progress.

Old 03 March 2012   #6
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Hello everyone!

After what has seemed like a significant amount of time used studying the craft, experimenting, and formulating solutions to various problems, we believe now is the time for us to begin sharing with the community at-large the imminent arrival of "REVERSION" - a new 11-minute animated film created entirely with Blender.

You can learn more about "REVERSION" at our official movie blog . This is not necessarily to promote the film (it is not yet finished). But, it is only at this time, when we feel we have learned enough to be able to talk to others about the experience, that we decided now was the time to reach out to the community.

How far is it from completion? 11 minutes is pretty long in animation terms.

Old 03 March 2012   #7
Originally Posted by Papa Lazarou: How far is it from completion? 11 minutes is pretty long in animation terms.

Let's just say we are opening up now because we know we are going to make it.

It's true, 11 minutes is long. When we first storyboarded it and listened to temp audio it seemed more like 5 to 7 minutes.... but the mind plays tricks. Especially with me.

I guess I have Peter Jackson syndrome where the film seems a bit longer than what we thought.
But I think like Jackson, every minute is properly used. There's not a gap there that's not useful.

Oh and we have quite an update coming up this weekend: SET RENDERS.

And each update will have "Director's Commentary" where we go a bit behind the scenes on each render. If there's something technical about it like how to get a shadow to fall where you want or how to bounce off a reflection without resorting to Ray-Traced Reflection (which is a render time killer) then I'll have to borrow some notes from our Senior VFX Technical Director.

Again, this is not really to beat our own drum. I see too many people asking all the time how this is done. We don't have all the answers, and a lot of our solutions are not refined. But at the non-pro level they really work. So we want people to take this journey more often and avoid the pitfalls that we also encountered on the way to reaching this point.

Also we plan to start a mailbox where people can send in questions or suggestions. Or what the heck, you can private message me with stuff you want to know about the film.

Old 03 March 2012   #8
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Let's just say we are opening up now because we know we are going to make it.

It's true, 11 minutes is long. When we first storyboarded it and listened to temp audio it seemed more like 5 to 7 minutes.... but the mind plays tricks. Especially with me.

I guess I have Peter Jackson syndrome where the film seems a bit longer than what we thought.
But I think like Jackson, every minute is properly used. There's not a gap there that's not useful.

I don't mean it could be long in terms of being dull or padded or slow-paced. What I mean is that for animation, 11 minutes is long in terms of the amount of work and sweat and effort that goes into each minute. It's a common mistake to over-estimate the amount of animation that can be accomplished on student films.

Although if you're 2 years into production, I presume you already know how involved that is.

Best of luck finishing up, and I hope the film lives up to expectations and gets the reaction you're hoping for.

Old 03 March 2012   #9
Yes that is correct. It is kind of long.

But we had very specific goals. And our plan (along with its rough edges) was clear enough, and feasible enough. So we were "quietly confident" of how we could handle the scale of things.

One of the things we did do was formulate something we call "Parallel Animation Workflow". This is something we will discuss another time, but basically it was a bit like making mini-departments and it's based partially on the Digic Workflow (or what we think is the Digic Workflow), and the process used to create "Jurassic Park".

So that's sort of like a saga in and of itself actually. That system could be it's own blog. hehehe.
But yeah, basically like I mentioned in the blog... there are ways to cut down the fear if your Team is armed with a roadmap it believes will lead it through the wilderness.

Old 03 March 2012   #10
This looks great! I'll be watching this space closely to see how well Blender is implemented into another full CG production. And hopefully a complete listing of all pitfalls and triumphs over problems will be rpesented too since THAT is always extremely helpful. Really looking forward to seeing this.

Only the best!

Old 03 March 2012   #11
Originally Posted by DSW: This looks great! I'll be watching this space closely to see how well Blender is implemented into another full CG production. And hopefully a complete listing of all pitfalls and triumphs over problems will be rpesented too since THAT is always extremely helpful. Really looking forward to seeing this.

Only the best!

We'll try to recall everything that we went through while at the same time showing what's in the movie... The problem was really.... we were so new to this level of project that we didn't know with certainty for some time if we would be able to talk to people about this from a "knowledgeable position". To convince others, first convince yourselves. So we weren't exactly video-taping ourselves all the time?

I have come to regret that decision.. that unlike others who make films, we didn't document our progress in advance.

And even now, we'll never claim we have all the answers. We constantly look at behind-the-scenes stuff from Blizzard, Digic, Pixar, WETA, ILM.. and you see there are like dozens of ways to tackle the things we tackled.

On that last note, we are also thinking of setting up mini-features around "This Question Came in the Mail" type of things... I think that might be helpful... so we'll probably let people in on the team's Gmail address next week.

Old 03 March 2012   #12
I know I said "the update comes up this weekend". But we have the update up right now.

It shows a couple of set renders. And as promised we narrate quite a story behind the design and implementation of the film images.

Again, if you guys feel the need to ask us anything about this movie, say it here, or in a pm, or leave a comment on the REVERSION movie blog.

Cheers!

Old 03 March 2012   #13
I must say that these two sets look great. I especially like the lobby set since the damage is more easily evident. Looking forward to seeing how this will look in the animation. Stills are good, but it's (obviously) far more interesting to see the animation.

Old 03 March 2012   #14
Originally Posted by DSW: I must say that these two sets look great. I especially like the lobby set since the damage is more easily evident. Looking forward to seeing how this will look in the animation. Stills are good, but it's (obviously) far more interesting to see the animation.

Yes indeed, that is the trick isn't it? This was something I was very keen about as my last ultra-short film (the one with the chess player) revealed that there is a need for a particular type of lighting when things become kinetic as opposed to getting stills. We have a certain "philosophy" going on there that is closer in mind-set to traditional animation and video game shading than it is to straight-on CG film lighting. We'll talk about that more when we get the chance.

On another point....

I think someone on my team leaked it out, so I'll face the music now. Apparently, we're more advanced in the schedule than we were letting on.... hehehe.

We have a very special update in the next 24 hours.

But after that bit, we'll go back to revealing material and talking about the experience of working on a short film.

Cheers to my peers!

Old 03 March 2012   #15
All the best Giancarlo! You've got some pretty moody lighting in one of those set renders there. Looking forward to the updates

Thread Closed share thread