CGTalk > Main Forums > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-05-2012, 01:59 AM   #1
webhead
Expert

John Carter Reviews: Some are up in arms, others say it's out of this world!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/john_carter/

"A fun story, impressive alien world, and cool 3D effects make John Carter a surprise treat that may not have been on your radar."

"Just about every sci-fi/fantasy/superhero adventure you ever loved is in here somewhere."

"Lynn Collins's feisty Dejah Thoris is the best kick-ass sci-fi princess since Leia."

"The story veers between interesting, boring and borderline incomprehensible."

"A handsome new sci-fi adventure that feels rather familiar. Enjoyable enough while it lasts, John Carter is big on ambition and disappointingly short on action."

"John Carter is a fantastic fusion of old-fashioned adventure excitement and modern blockbuster spectacle. In short, it's wonderful."

"Some of the ideas may be wonderful, but there is such chaos on screen, it is hard to decipher what is going on much of the time."

"Opinions may differ about the star charisma of Taylor Kitsch, but the supporting cast is good and some of the action set-pieces thrilling; the support of young viewers may turn this movie into a franchise."

"A very entertaining, unusual and loveable mess."

"Richly imagined, robustly performed, and directed with the evident enthusiasm of someone who's been dreaming about Barsoom his whole life, 'John Carter' is a gem."

"Lovingly Made Pulp Fantasy With Boring Human Characters"

"Kitsch is not just flat; he's practically flat-lining as Carter, so uninvolved does he seem...he's so laidback that he might as well be watching this movie as acting in it."

"John Carter is a fun blockbuster. There is fun in its action scenes, in its jaw dropping imagery and especially in its surprising sense of humour that Andrew Stanton melds well with its brand of sci-fi spectacular."

Last edited by webhead : 03-06-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
teruchan
Skeleton Man

portfolio
Terrence Walker
The Last King
of Scotland
Shanghai, China

I honestly can't wait for this one! This comment worries me though:

"Lynn Collins's feisty Dejah Thoris is the best kick-ass sci-fi princess since Leia."

So it seems they still have to overly Hollywoodize everything these days. I don't remember Dejah Thoris doing any kind of ass kicking or being even feisty in the books, or any such character appearing in any of Burroughs works. I guess that that doesn't fly in the PC movie world of today.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 03-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
DutchDimension
Think different

portfolio
Dutch Dimension
DMP/Environment Artist
MPC
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by webhead

Stills like this don’t get my hopes up. Pray it looks a whole lot better on the big screen.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
prixat
Frequenter

Prixat
3D & Websites
Croydon, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by teruchan
So it seems they still have to overly Hollywoodize everything these days. I don't remember Dejah Thoris doing any kind of ass kicking or being even feisty in the books, or any such character appearing in any of Burroughs works. I guess that that doesn't fly in the PC movie world of today.

I think that says more about Burroughs in 1910 than 'Hollywood these days'

Old 03-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
vfx
Lead TD

portfolio
Dominic Alderson
Lead TD / Artist / Film Maker
United Kingdom

first ten minutes are online and the review in this link is rather scathing but sadly from the first trailer I saw, its the same feeling I got.

http://www.moviehole.net/201253051-...s-clints-review

"From the stilted dialogue, never-ending battle sequences, to the mechanical, robotic whirls of the space-ships to fly by (and look out for an arena-sequence that’ll have George Lucas adding his attorney to speed dial), “John Carter” has a lot in common with the weak, effects-first “Star Wars” prequels."

If indeed, the reviewers comments are proved true, then this could once again see the end to big budget fx work for a few years. Which I personally don't see as a bad thing - a lot of summer movies have become a CG orgy and its not what I believe this medium is meant for. Remember the day when one scene could leave a lasting impact on you... maybe we need to go back to that and stop boasting about how many fx shots there are in each new blockbuster. Less is more.

- My thoughts are my own and should not be confused with anyone else's.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
dneg
Lord of the posts
paul franklin
VFX Supervisor
Double Negative VFX
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchDimension
Stills like this don’t get my hopes up. Pray it looks a whole lot better on the big screen.

It's not a shot, it's a publicity image, cobbled together by the promotions people from bits and bobs pulled out of the movie and then over-painted. Give us a bit of credit for knowing how to do our jobs :-)

Last edited by dneg : 03-05-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
DutchDimension
Think different

portfolio
Dutch Dimension
DMP/Environment Artist
MPC
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneg
It's not a shot, it's a publicity image, cobbled together by the promotions people from bits and bobs pulled out of the movie and then over-painted. Give us a bit of credit for knowing how to do our jobs :-)

Many of my friends have worked on that shot Paul, so rest assured, I have every bit of faith in the abilities of you and your team.

And you're right, publicity stills usually are a bit of a shock to those having created it's constituent parts. I should have realised it was the case here as well. Please accept my apologies.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchDimension

I actually quite like the shot.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
webhead
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfx
"From the stilted dialogue, never-ending battle sequences, to the mechanical, robotic whirls of the space-ships to fly by (and look out for an arena-sequence that’ll have George Lucas adding his attorney to speed dial), “John Carter” has a lot in common with the weak, effects-first “Star Wars” prequels."

Please, tell me we don't have another PHANTOM MENACE on our hands! No! Anything but that!

"Okay, so “John Carter” isn’t half as wood-heavy on performances as the “Star Wars” prequels were, and it’s storyline is definitely more exciting than whatever the bloody trade confederate political nonsense Lucas’s films served up, but it’s in no way the film Disney intended on making."

Whew! Okay. So glad the reviewer added that! You don't have to hide the sharp objects now. I'll be okay.

Last edited by webhead : 03-05-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
dneg
Lord of the posts
paul franklin
VFX Supervisor
Double Negative VFX
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke
I actually quite like the shot.

well, you'll be pleased to hear that there's one that looks quite like it, except with proper holdouts and due attention paid to the black levels

Old 03-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #11
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

The execution of that actual scene from prior trailers looks stellar. If I could complain about anything in what I've seen of the movie so far it's that the designs are just on the cartoonish side of exaggeration, but that's just me.

A 10 minute clip from the beginning of the movie has been released -

http://youtu.be/4HaE5Zs8dAY?hd=1

Get a lot more taste of tone and flavor from that..I still think Taylor Kitsch can't act, and if there's an achilles heel to the movie, it might be him.

The rest of it looks really great from a direction, action, and storytelling standpoint, IMO.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #12
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneg

So the people that cobble these together don't understand that things have shadows?

Old 03-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #13
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
'John Carter' does pulp science-fiction right and on a grand scale

I do wonder if we are having an Avatar factor here?

Quote:
"It still seems surreal to me that there really is a mega-budget bigscreen live-action film based on the Edgar Rice Burroughs stories about Barsoom and John Carter, since as long as I've been paying attention to Hollywood, and even well before that, there has always been a John Carter movie in some stage of development.

The good news is that Andrew Stanton, one of the cornerstones of Pixar and the director of both "Finding Nemo" and "WALL-E," has made a nimble jump to live-action, and much of his movie is imbued with a wild, thrilling pulp energy and a genuine sense of wonder. It is a charming science-fiction adventure that makes no apologies for what it is. This is the sort of film where there is talk of Jeddaks and Tharks and Barsoom and you're supposed to just pick it up and understand, and where we accept that Mars doesn't look a thing like modern science tells us it does because that's the conceit. It will be interesting to see who gets hung up on the difference between reality and this film's conception of Mars, because there's nothing about this that plays as "real," but there is such a strong sense of voice that I think Stanton sells the reality beautifully.
"

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-...n-a-grand-scale
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 03-06-2012, 01:01 AM   #14
gorillajin
Frequenter
portfolio
Jin Kim
USA

I saw it last Saturday, and I enjoyed watching it.
Honestly I didn't expect it at all but I had a chance to watch it.
The cg was pretty good, and the alien looked much better in a big screen.
I recommend to watch it. I'm sure it will be better than you expected.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #15
evolucian
Lurkmeister
portfolio
Lulu
Compositor
Vancouver, Canada

it looks like aflimsy movie with no character depth. not particularly a fan of the ari direction either. if big 4 handed gorillas on mars are any indication of the imagination at work in this, i'm gonna have to pass. Its probably why Disney's been emailing out offers for bonus points to see the movie and free tickets if you buy one of their blurays.

Thread Closed share thread