OpenEXR 2.0: Where is it?!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2012   #16
I don't use the deeptex format in Rman because it's too freaking huge.
I wonder if eventually there will be some lossless compression format good enough to deal with the data, or some version of deeptex which has less data but is still good enough for most cases (like half float exr). Until then, it won't fit into a small pipeline.

Old 12 December 2012   #17
Hey guys, was EXR 2.0 ever released? I'm looking at rendering from Houdini to EXR for deep compositing -- the rat-to-dtex workflow is not working for us at present...

thanks

Old 12 December 2012   #18
The biggest advantage from my perspective has been that when rendering volumes (fire and smoke) then you don't need to render with holdouts. You just give your deep render to a comper and the volume composites with ANYTHING that has deep info. so if they change a model slightly, then you dont have to re-render the smoke.

Old 12 December 2012   #19
Originally Posted by EdtheHobbit: Hey guys, was EXR 2.0 ever released? I'm looking at rendering from Houdini to EXR for deep compositing -- the rat-to-dtex workflow is not working for us at present...

thanks

its still in beta phase, but you can get the code over here:
https://github.com/openexr

and surely someone has compiled and implemented it in houdini

Old 12 December 2012   #20
Quote: Deep data & Alembic support - Push the boundaries of Deep compositing with new OpenEXR 2.0 Deep data read and write capability, as well as read and write geometry and cameras to and from Sony Picture Imageworks' Alembic file format.

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/article...feature_alembic

Nuke 7 has open exr 2 support apparently. I thought Nuke 7 was out but it still says beta on the site.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=59&t=1082534

this post says it's out aaaahhhh . . . what is out and not out?

Old 12 December 2012   #21
the foundry site says clearly on the front page "Nuke 7 is out"

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/article...-70-is-out-now/

Old 12 December 2012   #22
Yay!

Next question: What renders support writting openExr 2.0 deep opacity data :P

Old 12 December 2012   #23
I still give it 5-7 years before After Effects supports it and mental ray has it working in maya with a half-way user-friendly UI that actually works.

My mind will be blown when it fully works, but it's going to need so many tools in the compositing program. I'm not even sure if current filters would even work.

My hunch is at first, compositing apps will just offer the ability to read the file, break out the channels into nodes/layers, and do some basic opacity and transform keys on them.

3D pixels seems like a major overhaul for a simpler program like After Effects that have a fairly primitive 3D engine to begin with.

I can't wait though - seems like the holy grail for rendering and compositing

Old 12 December 2012   #24
Originally Posted by ndeboar: Yay!

Next question: What renders support writting openExr 2.0 deep opacity data :P

I think prman 17.0 does already.

Old 12 December 2012   #25
think vray with the upcoming 2.4 service pack...

Old 02 February 2013   #26
A different advantage of EXR 2.0 in my view is that multichannel EXR's in nuke will be a lot faster. If I understand it correctly Nuke would previously have to shuffle through all the channels to get to one you want. With the structure of EXR 2.0 it can skip them and therefore load the image a lot quicker.

I think this would be very nice for multichannel EXR's coming out of texture packages like Mari. On the V-Ray end I guess they are trying to figure out how to map the different channels to the different texture slots. Maybe we'll see a special "V-Ray file in" node for maya?

Old 02 February 2013   #27
Originally Posted by molgamus: A different advantage of EXR 2.0 in my view is that multichannel EXR's in nuke will be a lot faster. If I understand it correctly Nuke would previously have to shuffle through all the channels to get to one you want. With the structure of EXR 2.0 it can skip them and therefore load the image a lot quicker.

I think this would be very nice for multichannel EXR's coming out of texture packages like Mari. On the V-Ray end I guess they are trying to figure out how to map the different channels to the different texture slots. Maybe we'll see a special "V-Ray file in" node for maya?

Yes I noticed that with big exr files with lots of channels, nuke would start to get really slow so I would just do multiple Exr files instead of just one big.

I use mental ray which probably won't have EXR to for a while.

Old 04 April 2013   #28
Announcement of the release of OpenEXR 2.0 today:

http://www.openexr.com/

AKIN BILGIC
Modeler / Generalist TD
CGGallery.com

Old 04 April 2013   #29
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread