CGTalk: Your indie gaming efforts! #2

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2012   #61
Hey,
you are having a bunch of great indie games here, awesome!

I'm doing games in spare time (and not only spare) for some time too, some of them are successful, some - are not. After a break me and my friend decided to jump into another iOS development, using Unity this time. I cannot believe that 3D modeler with Zero programming skills can create something playable and cute in no time (in comparison to work with our previous coder).

For a first collaborative project we decided to went "clones route" and did Temple Run inspired game - Zombie Run HD: http://retrostylegames.com/games/zo...undying-runner/

If everything will be fine - we'll try to release more original game/games, there are plenty of funny ideas here

Old 06 June 2012   #62
Hi guys. Me and two more designers are making a hidden-object game with drawn graphics, and maybe someone could help with those questions:
-how to approach potential clients? We are planning on showing a videofile demo with 2 music tracks and 5 backgrounds (levels)
-is it important to have your .com email while emailing?
-what are realistic profit expectations? I can't show the game here, but I suppose it looks not worse (or even better, those are nice designers) than most hidden-object games on bigfishgames for example. If we have 15 levels for example?

We think not to complicate our first games, but I consider using 3d to enrich its looks. What do you think about it?

Old 06 June 2012   #63
I'm not really understanding what you are trying to do with your game. Are you making a full game and then trying to find a larger website to buy it from you so they can add it to their library of games? I've only known people to make a game and submit it to various app-stores and distribution channels, such as steam.

In either case I think if you are serious about making money off your efforts you should have an established legal business, matching domain name and email address. Finding numbers on profits in the indie world is incredibly difficult, I've tried looking and the statistics simply aren't available (most people can't disclose for legal reasons). I'd recommend just making the game anyways and seeing what you can do with it, it's fun and a good experience.

Old 06 June 2012   #64
@Mister3D
I was working on 2 HOG titles, and I'm currently working on my own in spare time, it can pay off with some nice figures but you need to be careful with contract so you wont have to work, like some guys did, entire game all over again.
Either way in October in Kyiv will be large fair for HOG developers and publishers, I will be going there probably to see what's new and to talk with some publishers, you can do it as well, just prepare some demo and speak with Bigh Fish, Game House ...

Last edited by LuckyBug : 06 June 2012 at 05:11 PM.

Old 06 June 2012   #65
Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by grantmoore3d: I'm not really understanding what you are trying to do with your game. Are you making a full game and then trying to find a larger website to buy it from you so they can add it to their library of games? I've only known people to make a game and submit it to various app-stores and distribution channels, such as steam.

We wanted to show it to Bigfish that they buy it and sell it themselves, or other publishers like this. This seemed like the easiest way to get started. Now that I see you can also place it on AppStore, but then it must be adapted to Apple devices, which is difficult yet.

Originally Posted by grantmoore3d: In either case I think if you are serious about making money off your efforts you should have an established legal business, matching domain name and email address. Finding numbers on profits in the indie world is incredibly difficult, I've tried looking and the statistics simply aren't available (most people can't disclose for legal reasons). I'd recommend just making the game anyways and seeing what you can do with it, it's fun and a good experience.

I spoke to one guy working in this field, and he said 10,000-50,000$ is a realistic price, depending on quality and such. It may seem a lot, but then 5 people already we have - 3 designers, 1 sound guy and one programmer. That's not that much, if to consider the number of work hours. Still, many Ukrainian game companies make such games, and make profit.
Ok, then we need to legalize it and create the company. Well we are pretty certain about making them, as in Ukraine you anyway won't make that much working for somebody.
Originally Posted by LuckyBug: @Mister3D
I was working on 2 HOG titles, and I'm currently working on my own in spare time, it can pay off with some nice figures but you need to be careful with contract so you wont have to work, like some guys did, entire game all over again.
Either way in October in Kyiv will be large fair for HOG developers and publishers, I will be going there probably to see what's new and to talk with some publishers, you can do it as well, just prepare some demo and speak with Bigh Fish, Game House ...

We just want to sell it, so we don't get in any kind of obligation.
That's cool! Is Kyiv somehow interesting for developers and investors? I will definitely attend it, thanks for telling me.

EDIT: is there any literature on creating game mechanics in terms of creating quests and such?

Last edited by mister3d : 06 June 2012 at 08:45 PM.

Old 06 June 2012   #66
Originally Posted by mister3d: I spoke to one guy working in this field, and he said 10,000-50,000$ is a realistic price, depending on quality and such.

It can go much higher.
We had to pay around 10K just for rad video tools licence, also we had to pay for vocalization in English.

Originally Posted by mister3d: We just want to sell it, so we don't get in any kind of obligation.
That's cool! Is Kyiv somehow interesting for developers and investors? I will definitely attend it, thanks for telling me.

I will be there for the first time, but people regularly make business deals on such events, attend parties and so on
Keep in mind that some publishers will definitively like your game but they might want to change something.
In the last year or two there were some game changers, currently most publishers look for an open world scheme in games, they reject maps and so on, so you might face something like that.
Than again maybe you made a perfect game and you just have to find publisher, good luck either way

Here is the link for anyone interested:
http://kyiv.casualconnect.org/

Last edited by LuckyBug : 06 June 2012 at 09:02 PM.

Old 06 June 2012   #67
Originally Posted by LuckyBug: It can go much higher,
We had to pay around 10K just for rad video tools licence, also we had to pay for vocalization on English.

What kind of game are you making? Is it 3d? Because we start with painted stuff like hidden-object type, as it's too steep to aim directly at realtime 3d.

Originally Posted by LuckyBug: I will be there for the first time, but people regularly make business deals on such events, attend parties and so on
Keep in mind that some publishers will definitively like your game but they might want to change something.
In the last year or two there were some game changers, currently most publishers look for an open world scheme in games, they reject maps and so on, so you might face something like that.
Than again maybe you made a perfect game and you just have to find publisher, good luck either way

I really doubt it will be perfect, as it's our first game, and we will take notes, considering they buy it. Yeah it's kinda complex to start. We have started working with game mechanics and creating quests and puzzles, not that simple. Do you know any books or info on this topic?

Old 06 June 2012   #68
Both titles are HOG, so they are 2d though they are made with 3d app.
We have just one programmer and team is quite small so we still don't aim some 3d real-time, maybe in the future.
Here is the last one http://www.gamehouse.com/download-g...remium-edition/
Don't have some book to recommend actually, we mostly brainstorm ideas.

Last edited by LuckyBug : 06 June 2012 at 09:10 PM.

Old 06 June 2012   #69
Originally Posted by LuckyBug: Both titles are HOG, so they are 2d though they are made with 3d app.
We have just one programmer and team is quite small so we still don't aim some 3d real-time, maybe in the future.
Here is the last one http://www.gamehouse.com/download-g...remium-edition/
Don't have some book to recommend actually, we mostly brainstorm ideas.

That looks neat buddy. I see that 3d looks kinda better than painted stuff, just because it's more believable. What do you think about this?

Old 06 June 2012   #70
Some things were sacrificed due to the short deadline, and stuff were painted in, but general audience didn't mind those.

Old 06 June 2012   #71
Originally Posted by LuckyBug: Some things were sacrificed due to the short deadline, and stuff were painted in, but general audience didn't mind those.

That not what I meant. I didn't notice some stuff was painted, but that the game itself looks more "appealing" than painted analogs without use of 3d-graphics.

Old 06 June 2012   #72
Ah OK thanks
To us it was definitively easier to do it in 3d ( this one is 4th in the series so we had many stuff from previous ones ), I'we seen some nice stylized 2d games that for some reason never found way to the audience, this one was pretty successful.

Last edited by LuckyBug : 06 June 2012 at 09:40 PM.

Old 07 July 2012   #73
Forlorn

Hey guys.

Thought I'd write something about our indie game me and two friends are making now that it has reached a somewhat playable state.

The game's working name is Forlorn and its an adventure platform game aimed at the iOS mobile platform (Though we're currently looking into porting it to android as well.)

At the heart of the gameplay is a stance switch mechanic, you'll be able to switch between frost and fire stance by tapping anywhere on your screen (Outside of the controls and UI of course.)

The stances make you immune against attacks of the same element as well as making your attacks change depending on your stance aswell (Basically in frost stance you'll have frostbolts while in fire you'll have fireballs.)

The intent is to bring a somewhat full scale old school platform game to the mobile platform but also carefully fashioned in manner that works on a mobile device (Due to lack of screen size, actual controller etc.) We're currently aiming at creating around 25 levels for the game, spread out over four different areas, three of which are represented in the screenshots below. Another important aspect of the game will be a fully fleshed out storyline that will take you through the game with in-game events and cinematics.

I'm going to try and avoid creating a wall of text here so I'll just post some pre-alpha/alpha screenshots and videos down below, if you have any questions or critique I am more than happy to answer them!

FORLORN PRE-ALPHA GAMEPLAY TRAILER

FORLORN LEVEL EDITOR

Last edited by Ayame : 07 July 2012 at 11:25 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #74
Indie Gaming Efforts - Jetbot

Hey guys,

We finally made our first indie game (after nearly 2 years of working in production houses/films/console games and not having time).

Introducing Jetbot:

Its available now on the App store for both iOS and MacOS.
itunes.apple.com/au/app/jetbot/id622553787?mt=8

It was a lot of fun creating this game and here are some development notes:

The character was created in Zbrush after which a turntable was used to create vector frames for rotations. Yes, everything in this game save for background tiles were 99% vector graphics to allow for retina display experience.

The latest build features vertex lighting and some pretty things to make the game a little less flat, but considering its just Myself (art/design) and Chris (code) I think we did pretty well for a small effort.

Took around 6 months to do and we are already working on Jetbot version 2, as all the tools are custom (no unity) but at the same time allow for very rapid/problem free development.

Any questions I'd be happy to answer.

Right now I'm working on finishing website and making some dev diary videos.

Well... thats my contribution to this long-life thread

Cheers!

Old 05 May 2013   #75
Wow that looks great.
FYI Guys for future indie gaming post,
I wanted to invite to post your updates at the IP development by weekly thread
here is the latest one
IP Incubator Club Thread 2013: Bi-Week-004: May 20-June 2- 2013
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 05 May 2013 at 12:24 PM.

Thread Closed share thread