CGTalk: Your indie gaming efforts! #2

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2012   #46
Jeff, awesome to see you expanding the Killer Bean IP into other mediums! I'm really interested in finding out how its been doing? Obviously no specifics, but how have your sales been? And in comparison to the film? Are you also looking at tying in the film to the game?

I've been interested in using the iPad/Android devices as methods of distributing films as well as games. But not going the route of iTunes's movie market at all. So essentially distributing a film as an app, along with a game in the same world. Could be a neat experiment.

Old 03 March 2012   #47
Hey, all! just wanted to let you know our special GDC announcement: We've just updated our web demo for the first time in over a year with 10 new playable levels, which is a really nice cross-section of how the game is playing right now. You get to see a good amount of monsters - including some new ones like the Golem and the Evil Dwarf - new levels types, and even a bit of the story. Play the web build at mage-maze.com, or if you want to be in on the beta testing on iPhone itself, PM me your UDID and we can get some folks a beta build on TestFlight.

Old 03 March 2012   #48
Best of luck getting on the "New and Noteworthy section" ,.. or "Whats Hot"
It appears you need to know someone at Chillingo these days or the guy that got busted for approving his own apps under a different name.

I'm sure they know each other... Wait.. here it is...

Wiki.."For the iOS version, Rovio partnered with distributor Chillingo to publish the game to the App Store.[17] Since then Rovio has self-published almost all of the later ports of the game, with the exception of the PlayStation Portable version, which was produced under license by Abstraction Games and then distributed by Chillingo.[18]"

Amazing... isn't it?

so who at Apple knows the guy at chillingo that approves their apps?

I did a game for the iPhone and until you go through the process of getting something up on the store, you will have no idea...

Old 03 March 2012   #49
@ Terrence - Hey Terrence! Yeah, it's been like a year or two? How've you been? I agree, indie books are intriguing too. If I get to do game dev for a while, I'm probably going to do a hybrid short/game kinda thing. It's crazy how these little mobile devices are changing entire industries. I haven't heard of Game Salad. I'm really into Unity though. There's lots of assets you can purchase for it to help you make your game. I mainly purchased bits of programming code to do advanced stuff that would take me forever to program.

@ Pyke - Hey Christopher. Stasis looks incredibly beautiful! Both audio and visuals. Do you have plans to release on Ipad? It will surely be a hit. About my Killer Bean game, I just released it yesterday, so I don't really know how it will do. It's a free game with Tapjoy ad offers. I'm hoping the game income will be comparable to what I made with the movie, which wasn't all that grand. But the difference is, the movie took me 4-5 years, while the game took me 4-5 months. I'm definitely excited about mobile games as a medium.

I'm also considering releasing my movie as an app, like you mentioned. I'm initially thinking to do it in Unity, but that would be over kill. Do you know of any good movie app software?

@walrus - Hey Michael, I just played your web demo before writing this post. Really nice! I played to level 5 and found myself really thinking/strategizing in the later levels. Great blend of puzzle solving and strategy!

Best,
Jeff

Old 03 March 2012   #50
@ Jeff - Thanks, glad you liked them! I'm as curious as Pyke about the publishing path for games, being new to the indie/mobile market myself, so you'll have to let us know how Killer Bean does for you. Well, I hope!

@ refract - Yep, making a good game is only half the battle: If no one sees it, you're sunk. And how to market your game, or get it published, is a big topic! To do it right if you're self publishing, one has to do a LOT of footwork to make sure people see it. Footwork that my partner and I are not experts in because we're game-makers, not marketers. There is something to be said for having someone else pick up all those duties. We have had Chillingo look at our game btw, and they were very kind and complementary, but it's not really a fit with their catalogue. I have to agree - they go for a more arcadey style of puzzle game and a more mass-market family-friendly style (no killing dwarves with an axe, for example! ) Open to other suggestions anyone may have, or any good resources for self publishing (reading through a lot of them right now.)

Old 03 March 2012   #51
Originally Posted by Jeff Lew:
@ Pyke - Hey Christopher. Stasis looks incredibly beautiful! Both audio and visuals. Do you have plans to release on Ipad? It will surely be a hit.

I'm also considering releasing my movie as an app, like you mentioned. I'm initially thinking to do it in Unity, but that would be over kill. Do you know of any good movie app software?
Best,
Jeff

Wow Jeff. Thanks man. Your original short was one of the reasons I really persued animation as a personal medium to tell stories. It got passed around on CD's back in the day (not many of us had Internet access at home!).

I would love to port over to iPad in the future. I would really have to have a solid look at the control interface, and how to get the best game possible on the iPad. Its not something Im actively developing now, but it is something I want to look at in the not-so-distant future!

Im honestly not sure if there is anything that has been specifically created for Movie APP distribution. If I was going to do it, I would have a look at Multimedia Fusion-which recently added iPad support. CLICKTEAM SITE

While I haven't used it in YEARS, to create a pretty decent menu and chapter system shouldn't be a massive hassle.

Old 03 March 2012   #52
Originally Posted by refract: Best of luck getting on the "New and Noteworthy section" ,.. or "Whats Hot"
It appears you need to know someone at Chillingo these days or the guy that got busted for approving his own apps under a different name.

I'm sure they know each other... Wait.. here it is...

Wiki.."For the iOS version, Rovio partnered with distributor Chillingo to publish the game to the App Store.[17] Since then Rovio has self-published almost all of the later ports of the game, with the exception of the PlayStation Portable version, which was produced under license by Abstraction Games and then distributed by Chillingo.[18]"

Amazing... isn't it?

so who at Apple knows the guy at chillingo that approves their apps?

I did a game for the iPhone and until you go through the process of getting something up on the store, you will have no idea...

Although, Angry Birds really is a very VERY good game. I got a bit bored of it, but my girlfriend has them all and plays them constantly.

Old 03 March 2012   #53

NEW TEASER FOR STASIS, YOUTUBE LINK

I don't want this to see a little to much like spamming, but I'm quite excited to show you guys the new TEASER for Stasis. If the mods see this as spam, please don't hesitate to delete this post!

Old 03 March 2012   #54

What an awesome thread! Really good to know we're not alone in this.
We'll definitely contribute as we go

We just posted a press release about our own short film ('nstaCharge , image above) -- that we've just started remaking as a mobile app using Unity3D.

Here's a link to the press release:

And another one to the kickstarter campaign

Old 03 March 2012   #55
Originally Posted by Pyke: NEW TEASER FOR STASIS, YOUTUBE LINK

Your trailer is just KILLER, man! Fantastic work!

Old 04 April 2012   #56
Originally Posted by Ikaria: What an awesome thread! Really good to know we're not alone in this.
We'll definitely contribute as we go

]

Love the art style! Are you going to be using unity for your game? There is a very cool racing game called Burnout. When I saw your style and heard the description of the game, I immediately pictured BurnOut with robots.

I wonder if enough time has passed for Jeff to give us an idea of some sales figures? I'm really interested to know the comparison between a film, and a game in terms of revenue, and his seems to be the perfect case study!

Old 04 April 2012   #57
Just saw this thread, and great to see a lot of really cool projects going on. I have spent the last 6 months not only drawing (thank you Andrew Loomis) but also learning objective-c and object oriented programming. While I am self-taught and fairly shaky, I have to say, cocos2d is an amazing engine, completely free/license free and I am surprised no one has mentioned it.

P.S. I also got a free Unity License, but I am stick with cocos2d for now.

Old 04 April 2012   #58
Originally Posted by Pyke:

NEW TEASER FOR STASIS, YOUTUBE LINK

I don't want this to see a little to much like spamming, but I'm quite excited to show you guys the new TEASER for Stasis. If the mods see this as spam, please don't hesitate to delete this post!

Crats on the RPS plug: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...ing-for-stasis/

Old 04 April 2012   #59
Originally Posted by AtsEst: Crats on the RPS plug: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...ing-for-stasis/

Thanks man! The response has been amazing. A few hundred news letter sign ups, and a few thousand web hits. If you guys have a completed project, or a project where you are looking for some exposure, I HIGHLY recommend you email them.

Old 04 April 2012   #60
Originally Posted by walrus: Hey, all! just wanted to let you know our special GDC announcement: We've just updated our web demo for the first time in over a year with 10 new playable levels, which is a really nice cross-section of how the game is playing right now. You get to see a good amount of monsters - including some new ones like the Golem and the Evil Dwarf - new levels types, and even a bit of the story. Play the web build at mage-maze.com, or if you want to be in on the beta testing on iPhone itself, PM me your UDID and we can get some folks a beta build on TestFlight.

Kabam is an awesome game studio, that's really cool you work there. Grats on the game.

Thread Closed share thread