White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

niklas,

That is looking really cool. I LOVE the lighting there! My brother recently got into UNITY-seeing the stuff that you guys are doing with it is just amazing!

Michael,

Thankks man. I expect only the uber nerds will get the character reference...glad to see someone picked it up! I have a ton of little references like that in the game. Mostly for my own 'shits n giggles'.

Sound design is something I've never done before-so its been a great learning experience for me.

I gotta say Im voilently in love with your art style. Your images have been in my INSPIRATION folder for a very long time! I also love how your style has translated so well to the smaller sprites.

-----------------------

What are the major obstacles that you guys have faced when putting your games together? Speaking just from the point of view of creating an Adventure Game, my main one was planning.

The truth is that people get super fired up when the first 'spark' appears for the project-and jump in feet first. Carrying that enthusiasm forward is the difficult thing.

It sounds like an obvious piece of advice, but before ONE piece of artwork, ONE piece of programming, ONE person is even contacted, the entire game MUST be planned. Every story element, chapter, screen, and every puzzle.
Its something that I am very guilty of, and as a result I lost out on about 6 months of development. Now the advantage is that I *just* wasted my time-but if I had a team of people, and I'd thrown away 6 months of their spare time and weekends, I can tell you now that most (all?) of those people would have dropped the project in a heartbeat.

I also think its VERY important to break up the game into very distinct chapters, as this allows for a delegation of work easily, as well as giving you are very clear idea about the progress of the game.

I also think its important to keep things interesting for the people involved. By having a solid clear and COMPLETE design document, you can assign tasks to people all over the game world. Lets say you have some areas that take place in a jungle, but the last 3 chapters take place on a floating steampunk city-the dude working on jungles for 3 months is more than likely going to drop the project if its just more of the same. Mix it up by having people cycle to different pieces of the project.

Granted Im in a pretty unique situation in that Im a team of one-but the ways I motivate myself are, Im certain, the same as if I had a few people working with me.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #32
walrus
I used too many monkeys

portfolio
Michael Dashow
Art Director / Illustrator
Oakland, USA

Thank, Pyke!

This thread is too cool to let die, so I'm bumping it with some screenshots from this week's build of MageMaze. It's for iOS (original resolution, not retina display) so the graphics are a lot more primitive compared to Tyson and Pyke's work... but then, that was also the goal of this game, to recapture the fun of old-school sprite art.

Here's out new Level Select screen: The "opening cut-scene" takes place in front of the castle, and then the screen scrolls down to reveal layers beneath it. Every time you complete a level, a lower one is unlocked on this page.

One of our new monsters is a Golem, which can only be killed with a Maul

And then there are the Dwarves, how launch bombs which take a few turns to explode, taking out a 3x3 space. They don't look quite as cool static as they do animated.

We're just starting work on our Boss Battles so that will be something to show in the next month as well.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #33
Rye
Yippeeeee

portfolio
Ryan Andrews
freelaaaannncceeer
San Diego, United States

walrus: Oh man that game is addicting! And it looks great! Brings me back to the classic days of gaming.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #34
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
The Brotherhood

Im instantly reminded of Golden Axe-which is a good thing!

Here is a question for you guys...is it better to be an artist, or a programmer when creating your own indie efforts?

Old 02-22-2012, 04:30 AM   #35
walrus
I used too many monkeys

portfolio
Michael Dashow
Art Director / Illustrator
Oakland, USA

Rye - Thanks! We should have a new web build out soon, in time for GDC

Pyke - In the end, I don't think there's a "better," as you need both. You can be an artist, but if you have no way to make your game playable, you're sunk. It might be slightly more useful to be a programmer, as you can still make a game, but it won't look great... but then, there are some games that never look great but are still excellent fun to play (the excellent indie/student game Continuity, for example.) I'm really lucky in that I found an terrific partner (Kristof Minneart, or 'Maph' in CGTalk) who does all of the coding. He's a double-threat: He could do all the art himself if he wanted to, and has a lot of ideas for his own games that he's entirely capable of doing both art and programming on. Me, I could learn how to use Unity, and I used to code, but there's just not enough time in the day to do everything. Ideally, it's great to just find a partner or team who complements what you want to do.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #36
archerx
Mister Anarchy

portfolio
Olivier Archer
Indie
Lausanne, Switzerland

Send a message via Yahoo to archerx
I finished one game already and it didn't do well. There was a lot of piracy; I found Bizango Blast on forums, file sharing sites, torrents and even usenet. It was very flattering but also very depressing to find out for some people $1 is too much.

I submitted a second app to Apple to test out the iAds system. This app is more of a toy than a game and is based on the same concept of the magic 8 ball.

It's called "Ask God"

It works by asking a question and shaking the device (you can touch the screen if you get over the waggle). Let's test it out.

Hey God, Am I a Sexy Beast?

*Shake*

Oh ok :(

I think it has potential as a fun little diversion and will tell me if the iAds are actually worth anything.

The real game I'm working on is Sphoxie

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...goto=nextnewest

It's coming along nicely and I don't want it to have the same fate as Bizango Blast. So far the way to beat piracy on the mobile platform is to release the app for free with ads with more than half the levels locked and give the user a chance to remove the ads through a micro transaction. Also when the micro transaction is done the rest of the levels will be opened up.

Also there are a lot of websites that will offer to review your game for money, you can tell me to **** right off. (If their site was successful by getting a lot of views then they would be able to profit from advertisers and not developers)

Old 02-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #37
CKPinson
Expert

portfolio
CK Pinson
Network ADMIN
Govt
West Palm Beach, USA

Send a message via MSN to CKPinson
finished the first 2- loved em- have the demo on my PC thru origin- it's Stellar so far- not sure whether they should've bothered with Multiplayer tho- cool but hopefully doesn't shorten the campaign or hurt the story overall.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #38
derekjackson
Frequenter

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Derek Jackson
Visualisation Artist
LSI Architects
Norwich, GB

Loving the stuff posted so far, especially Stasis - amazing environments! Looks like a real labour of love.

I've been hoping to get into creating my own this year, but have got stuck at the first hurdle. I was going to use Cocos2d for which I need to install Xcode.

Unfortunately I've got an aging Intel Mac Mini on OSx 10.4, which is looking a little out-of-date for developing current software. I'm considering upgrading the OS to 10.7, but it looks like 10.8 is due out late summer. Should I upgrade now? Or wait until 10.8? I'm quite keen to get started, but don't want any work done on an old version of Xcode to be wasted...

Any thoughts? (Ideally I'd buy a new machine, but as there's nothing technically wrong with the current one, and I'm getting an iPad , it's pretty hard to justify it!!)

Old 02-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #39
Glenfx
Jack of all trades

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Glen Ricardo Luis Federico Fernandez Sardi
Artist
2 Sin Par
San Antonio de los Altos, Venezuela

Between 2008-2009 i was making an adventure game called "The adventures of Yiro & Yari" but I wasnt able to finish it and moved on, so last year I decided to post what I had done and made a blog for it where people could download and play it.
If you do check it out the intro isnt finished and the "animation" isnt even polished but i added it in there just as an extra.

Here is the blog.

And some screenshots:

Old 02-23-2012, 01:46 AM   #40
grantmoore3d
Geek Extraordinaire

portfolio
Grant Moore
Creative Director
ComboMash Entertainment
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfx
Between 2008-2009 i was making an adventure game called "The adventures of Yiro & Yari" but I wasnt able to finish it and moved on, so last year I decided to post what I had done and made a blog for it where people could download and play it.

Too bad! The style is fantastic and I imagine a point & click adventure game would do very well with the indie crowd. Why did you stop working on it?

Old 02-23-2012, 02:27 AM   #41
Glenfx
Jack of all trades

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Glen Ricardo Luis Federico Fernandez Sardi
Artist
2 Sin Par
San Antonio de los Altos, Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmoore3d
Too bad! The style is fantastic and I imagine a point & click adventure game would do very well with the indie crowd. Why did you stop working on it?

I stopped working on it since I was forced to move out of my house, my wife and I ended moving out three times in less than two years so I wasn’t able to keep up and eventually lost interest.

I have been thinking about continuing but I'm still undecided, I also have three other more mature stories I would like to see into adventure games some day.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:52 AM   #42
Jeff Lew
Frequenter

Jeff Lew
USA

Definitely a lot of great indie works here. I'm finding that games are the one area where it's practical to be an indie and find some success. Where I work, a lot of the CG people are starting their own games in Unity. It's funny to see people from every department talk about their games.

I think for good reason too. The film industry is hurting, at least in LA, while the mobile game industry is really booming right now. With that said, I'd like to throw my game into the mix. I picked up Unity last fall. I didn't even think I could even make a game before that, and now I'm totally hooked on game dev. Anyways, here's my first game:

Android Link

It's a 2d side scrolling shooter. IOS version coming soon. I hope everyone does well in their gaming efforts! It definitely could be a great alternative to the CG industry.

Jeff

Old 03-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #43
teruchan
Skeleton Man

portfolio
Terrence Walker
The Last King
of Scotland
Shanghai, China

HEY JEFF!!! Long time!!

It's great to see you're still making stuff! I hope to pick up an android tablet and/or phone pretty soon. I will definitely check out your game! Nice to see the bean is still alive and kicking with new content.

It is true that indie games appear to be having great success. The same could be said for indie books and other media with Kindle, Smashwords and other methods allowing indies to get to market. This is the new future. I think we will see roads for indie animation as well. It is a different market all together.

Have you checked out Game Salad? It is a 2D game dev tool for iOS. I may jump in one day with a game too!
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 03-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #44
teruchan
Skeleton Man

portfolio
Terrence Walker
The Last King
of Scotland
Shanghai, China

Stasis is thee game I would have dies to play back in the day. I really miss those old school games. I haven't played games in years simply because I just can't get into a lot of the new stuff that has been coming out. Last games that interested me were ICO and Shadow of the Colossus.

I was crazy about Isometric games in the C64 and Amiga days of gaming. I always thought that mobile and tablet would bring back old school games, but now many tablets are already powerful enough to do the same ol' FPS stuff on the PC and consoles. Maybe it is only up to the indie to save some classic play styles.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #45
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
The Brotherhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by teruchan
Stasis is thee game I would have dies to play back in the day. I really miss those old school games. I haven't played games in years simply because I just can't get into a lot of the new stuff that has been coming out. Last games that interested me were ICO and Shadow of the Colossus.

I was crazy about Isometric games in the C64 and Amiga days of gaming. I always thought that mobile and tablet would bring back old school games, but now many tablets are already powerful enough to do the same ol' FPS stuff on the PC and consoles. Maybe it is only up to the indie to save some classic play styles.

Thanks man. I think that's probably the driving force behind me creating it-because I know there is no way in hell I would ever get to work on a 2D Isometric game these days.

My brother is doing some incredible stuff in UNITY, and asked if I would ever consider moving the STASIS universe into 3D-and honestly...I don't think I would ever do it.

2D just has a magic about it that I love-especially Isometric games. I was laughing on the weekend, because I was playing around with some idea for other games, and all of them naturally evolved into 2D isometric games.

Thread Closed share thread