CGTalk: Your indie gaming efforts! #2

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2012   #16
I really think the Indie Scene is cool and iam always having stuff in my mind that i think would be cool, but as a lot others around here my coding background hardly is enough for a such project.

I really like your projects people. Zombox looks fantastic.

Old 01 January 2012   #17
Originally Posted by Ollarin: A fellow forum member and I have been working on "The Curse of Kullvaria". Which is a twin stick shooter for the iOS. While we have been working hard to try and get it out, we've run into a lot of roadblocks. Such as not having a programmer.

Which is why we're trying to get some funding to hire a programmer and get a Unity license. We've put our stuff up on Kickstarter if anyone would like to check us out. We've got tons of information and media on the game as well.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...n-stick-shooter

I don't mean to solicit. But if anyone would like to know more about the game, please check it out and spread the word!

This project of yours looks absolutley amazing. I love the videos you guys have lready, and the artwork and animation looks amazing already. Hope the kickstarter thing works out.

Old 01 January 2012   #18
Quote: I've been keeping all of my concept art, renders, and story ideas with the intention of putting together a 'Making Of' book. It would cover everything from how I came up with the stories and puzzles, to actually building the game. I don't know if anyone would be interested in it, but the idea is there.

I'd buy it lol I love those kind of books and your game looks great, If you send a copy to parka blogs a lot of people check his site for new art books.

Old 01 January 2012   #19
Originally Posted by Pyke: My next idea for a game is an RPG, where instead of levelling up your character, you level up your 'pet robot' with different attachments and abilities. I never really cottoned onto the idea in RPG's of your character just 'becoming' better at things. My idea was that you would start, and end the game with the same basic skill sets (with the exception of things like body armour, weapons, equipment...essentially external items). Where your skill sets would be increased would be in the customisation of your robot. You could buy different upgrades in either weapons, making him into a battle platform, or things like hacking upgrades, or medical attachments. Essentially there would be a symbiotic relationship between you, and your robot-creating a powerful 'single' character from the two of you.
Its a pretty ambitious project-that right now exists solely on paper!

Nice idea Pyke. I really like this kind of small details that make the whole difference in the end. I always liked games where the buildup was rather complicated from the outset but overall made sense. Anarchy Online being one of my favourites regarding itemization and development of char instead of just magical "skillups". These days the trend is that all non-gameplay related things are seen as hinderance or overcomplication (Meaning outside of the click point shoot hack slash). The thing is that these features are to be made minigames of their own. Something meaningful and through careful planning logical... Easier said than done! Well, you got one fan for this maybe-some-day game already.

Old 01 January 2012   #20
Thanks for your feedback guys!

Originally Posted by grantmoore3d: If I remember correctly, you're making it in Unity? The only area in which I have no experience is building AI, do you have any advice / resources in this area?

Yep, I'm using Unity. As for AI, well I'm using a behavioral hierarchy like the one described in this book for the zombies' behavior. Pathfinding is done with A*, and on top of that there's some light steering going on for zombie/player intersection avoidance.

Originally Posted by Pyke: I dunno if you have considered the merchandising BEYOND the game, such as toys and the like?

I've thought of it, but wouldn't know where to get such a thing produced. Is there a place that does short-orders for custom action figures/plush toys and such?

PS: Stasis is looking awesome. You've absolutely perfected the environments!

Old 01 January 2012   #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Ollarin A fellow forum member and I have been working on "The Curse of Kullvaria". Which is a twin stick shooter for the iOS. While we have been working hard to try and get it out, we've run into a lot of roadblocks. Such as not having a programmer. Which is why we're trying to get some funding to hire a programmer and get a Unity license. We've put our stuff up on Kickstarter if anyone would like to check us out. We've got tons of information and media on the game as well. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...n-stick-shooter I don't mean to solicit. But if anyone would like to know more about the game, please check it out and spread the word!

Why is this not getting more attention? This is some really cool work. I hope it gets funded.

Old 01 January 2012   #22
Originally Posted by ivanisavich:
I've thought of it, but wouldn't know where to get such a thing produced. Is there a place that does short-orders for custom action figures/plush toys and such?

PS: Stasis is looking awesome. You've absolutely perfected the environments!

Thanks man. The designing the environments is definitely the most fun thing to do!

I don't know about short orders for custom plush toys. I was looking at creating some cool 'limited edition' statuettes for the game, for people that helped me, or just something cool to sell if people were interested. I was gonna get a figure printed at one of the 3D printers I see advertised, and then use that to make my own Gypsum plaster mould, and cast my own figures in resin.
I've made some really basic moulds before, so this would be an entire new experience. But any excuse to get dirty is good enough for me!

Old 01 January 2012   #23
Wow! Fantastic work everyone.

@Suresh: Thank you so much. We've been working so hard on it so far and we'll keep working on it till it's out there for everyone to play!

@Barny: Thank you for your kind comments. We hope it gets funded too so that we can move on with the production quicker. Either way, the game will be made!

@Tyson: Zombox looks awesome. I saw some of your early screenshots a while back. You'd done an amazing job with it!

@Christopher: Stasis is just amazing. Been following your development on it ever since you posted up those first screenshots! Can't wait to see the finished product!

@Daruis: Equilibrium looks awesome. Wish I had an Android device to try it out. Love the style, reminds me of Warcraft for some reason.

Last edited by Ollarin : 01 January 2012 at 09:47 AM.

Old 01 January 2012   #24
@mitcoz:

Hey Suresh! Thank you so much for your kind words! We are working really hard towards our game, we have actually been in talks with a couple of C# programmers recently.

@CofTsucks:

Barny! We too wished our game would garner more attention, but even after email all of the news outlets, tweeting incessantly about it, and even after having Slide To Play tweet our Kickstarter link, there weren't very many takers. But I think that has less to do with the game and more to do with our lackluster video. Hehe.

Thank you guys so much!!

Old 01 January 2012   #25
I am really looking forward to STASIS, it looks great, I love the atmosphere and I have always been into anything that has to do with scifi.

I miss those old point and click games...
Recently I brought back from the dead my old copy of The longest journey, which I never finished, and now I am having a great time playing it.
It feels so much different from my usual Call of duty action.

In a way those old school games with their limited graphics (compared to what we have nowadays) feel a bit like books, because you have to use you imagination to complete the picture.
They feel more handcrafted, and that is something I like.

Keep up the great work guys!

JK

Old 01 January 2012   #26
Pyke, Stasis looks absolutely amazing! Are you also using Unity?

Last edited by AdrianLazar : 01 January 2012 at 02:10 PM.

Old 01 January 2012   #27
KOKE, thanks man. Adventure games really do have a special place in my heart, aswell as in the history of gaming. While they have been predicting the death of the genre for years, its still very much alive and kicking! It's just switched focus to mainly the indie scene. But in a way, I think that by putting the onus on fans to keep the genre alive and kicking, it's actually driven it forward. Not so much technologically, but in stories, which was always the main focus.
It's a genre that while was technology driven (at one point, Adventure Games were the highest point of computer game art-they were the Crysis and the Modern Warfares-the games you bought to show off the incredible graphics on your new computer), it's core mechanics really haven't changed- mechanics that were built around artists, and stories.

And I love them!

Adrian, thanks man! Na-not unity, although I did look into it. But I'm using an engine called Visionaire, which is built specifically for Adventure Games. It's a pure 2D engine, which is surprisingly freeing when creating the game! They are adding in 3D support for Characters, which is really cool.

Old 01 January 2012   #28
We have recently published a small free game on our website. The game is developed in the game engine Unity, and the models are created in Maya. The plot is to help a fox down the dunes as fast as possible. You can fight your way onto the leader board, or challenge us in a duel.

You will find the game here:
http://ravenproduktion.se/gameDev.aspx?lang=en

Old 01 January 2012   #29
Good to see this thread topic revived for a 2.0 version. Peoples' work is looking fantastic!

Zombox is looking terrific - great blend of creepy mood and stylized characters.

And Pyke, Stasis is looking wonderful! (And feeling wonderful too, at least form the gameplay moveis.) I love the name of the main character, showing one of your prime inspirations in a subtle nod.

And both of you ended up with some really terrific audio too, I must say.

Maph and I are still chugging away at MageMaze, which we posted a bunch of screenshots for in the previous thread. I don't have an updated build otherwise I'd post them here myself. We've still got a playable build atmage-maze.com , but it's over a year old and we've made progress since then. (Just not in uploading it to the web, obviously! ) He's been reworking all of the underlying systems - UI, AI, inventory code, spawning routines - so it all works and plays wonderfully now. so we've picked up steam and are just moving forward on some long-neglected GUI improvements, monsters and boss-battles. Hopefully we can post something soon... but thanks to everyone esle for the wonderful inspiration!

Old 01 January 2012   #30
how do you manage to do all these things? you're like a freak workaholic...in a most awesome way! do keep us posted on how this goes...i'd like to try it out when it's done. iphone yes? cool.

Originally Posted by ivanisavich: Been working on Zombox in my free time since last May. It's a open world zombie-apocalypse sandbox game for iOS, featuring scavenging, building, crafting, and all kinds of other fun stuff.

Thread Closed share thread