CGTalk: Your indie gaming efforts! #2

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2012   #1
CGTalk: Your indie gaming efforts! #2

Having recently started working towards developing my own indie game, I wanted to resurrect this thread in hopes of picking up the discussion where it left off. I'm definitely noticing a surge in people going the independent route with all the Indie bundles, Steam sales, online Indie communities, etc... and would love to hear more about the projects any of you might be working on or have released. There's a lot to learn from each other, and CGTalk members often have a unique perspective, so let's have it!

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...t=763886&page=1
The previous thread, has a lot of good stuff in there.

Old 01 January 2012   #2
A fellow forum member and I have been working on "The Curse of Kullvaria". Which is a twin stick shooter for the iOS. While we have been working hard to try and get it out, we've run into a lot of roadblocks. Such as not having a programmer.

Which is why we're trying to get some funding to hire a programmer and get a Unity license. We've put our stuff up on Kickstarter if anyone would like to check us out. We've got tons of information and media on the game as well.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...n-stick-shooter

I don't mean to solicit. But if anyone would like to know more about the game, please check it out and spread the word!

Old 01 January 2012   #3
Been working on Zombox in my free time since last May. It's a open world zombie-apocalypse sandbox game for iOS, featuring scavenging, building, crafting, and all kinds of other fun stuff.

There's a CGTalk progress thread, a devblog for in-depth updates, a Twitter for instant update notifications, and a Youtube channel for gameplay videos.

Hoping to release this May.

Last edited by ivanisavich : 01 January 2012 at 12:17 AM.

Old 01 January 2012   #4
Tyson, i'm genuinely excited to play zombox

Old 01 January 2012   #5
I got to start reading your devblog, Tyson. I'm so blown away with how kick ass Zombox is coming out!

Old 01 January 2012   #6
I had no idea you were the one making Zombox, I read your updates on Screenshot Saturdays every now and then. It looks awesome and makes me wish I had a iOS device. Definitely one of the more inspiring projects out there. If I remember correctly, you're making it in Unity? The only area in which I have no experience is building AI, do you have any advice / resources in this area?

Old 01 January 2012   #7
Yeah-Zombox is looking badass. Its such an awesome art style. I dunno if you have considered the merchandising BEYOND the game, such as toys and the like? I think that Indies should really also look at going the Star Wars route, and try to tie in marketing and products with their work.
If I look at all the Angry Birds merchandise around, there is obviously a market for it. I think that something like Zombox is PERFECT for that sort of expansion. I can just imagine the zombie plush toys.

Old 01 January 2012   #8
Ok, here is my addition to the pile.

I have been working on STASIS since last year December. Its an Adventure Game set on an abandoned research platform called The Groomlake.
I have been heavily inspired by ALIEN, Event Horizon, Sunshine, Deadspace...hell, all things I find cool. The idea was to make a game that I would play, and that I would find fun .

The game revolves around corporate espionage between two large rival corporations (Cayne Corporation, and INTEGRATED BIOLOGICAL), and a secret research project codenamed Project Seed.
All of this is the background for the heart of the game-a story about a man trying to find his family in a place where science knows no limits, and the boundaries of morality have been shatered.

STASIS GAME TRAILER

STASIS GAMEPLAY VIDEO

I have a DEVBLOG up, and a WEBSITE .

Old 01 January 2012   #9
Whoa awesome projects here!

And on my free time i worked with friends and ex-coworkers on this small free game "Equilibrium" for android, its a rts/tower defense game game is constantly updated on game play/visuals.
With this game guys got startup funding from HackFWD and established small studio in Lithuania.
And my part in this project was modeling/texturing.

Link > AndroidMarket

Good Luck with projects guys !

Old 01 January 2012   #10
Regarding this matter, there is actually Global Game Jam event this weekend for the indie networking...

http://globalgamejam.org/

Atleast here in Finland the local events are rapidly growing and its held in 8 cities around Finland, what I find remarkable for this small country.

Pyke, could you go in detail about the weapon building picture? it looks awesome... given I understood the contwext correctly

Last edited by Cromfel : 01 January 2012 at 11:01 AM.

Old 01 January 2012   #11
Originally Posted by Cromfel: Pyke, could you go in detail about the weapon building picture? it looks awesome... given I understood the contwext correctly

Hey man. Its not a weapon creation interface, but rather a computer interface for a puzzle where you need to fabricate replacement parts for a generator. This is one of the fabrication platforms...there are a few others where you need to create more specific parts.

Although I like the idea of weapon building...

Old 01 January 2012   #12
Originally Posted by Pyke: Hey man. Its not a weapon creation interface, but rather a computer interface for a puzzle where you need to fabricate replacement parts for a generator. This is one of the fabrication platforms...there are a few others where you need to create more specific parts.

Although I like the idea of weapon building...

Oh bummer! I always dreamed of Fallout style gameplay with weapons that have some funky features and system for actually building weapons from functional modules that represent characteristics of weapons. And your interface looked like incarnation of that dream with the athmosphere... Talk about fabricating parts, now your getting me wet my pants.

Wishful thinking!

Old 01 January 2012   #13
Zombox looks pretty cool. I like the graphics style of it.

I haven't been able to view the Stasis video yet. Youtube isn't working properly for some reason right now...

Old 01 January 2012   #14
It's nice to see indie game developers doing so well. It harks me back to my ZX81 and ZX Spectrum days when computer 'whizz kids' were driving around Ferrari's thanks to all the games they were writing in their bedrooms.

Regarding Zombox - this has totally piqued my interest, I had no idea this was in development. May I ask, is it iOS only? I'd love to play this, but have no interest in Apples products.

Old 01 January 2012   #15
Originally Posted by Cromfel: Oh bummer! I always dreamed of Fallout style gameplay with weapons that have some funky features and system for actually building weapons from functional modules that represent characteristics of weapons. And your interface looked like incarnation of that dream with the athmosphere... Talk about fabricating parts, now your getting me wet my pants.

Wishful thinking!

My next idea for a game is an RPG, where instead of levelling up your character, you level up your 'pet robot' with different attachments and abilities. I never really cottoned onto the idea in RPG's of your character just 'becoming' better at things. My idea was that you would start, and end the game with the same basic skill sets (with the exception of things like body armour, weapons, equipment...essentially external items). Where your skill sets would be increased would be in the customisation of your robot. You could buy different upgrades in either weapons, making him into a battle platform, or things like hacking upgrades, or medical attachments. Essentially there would be a symbiotic relationship between you, and your robot-creating a powerful 'single' character from the two of you.
Its a pretty ambitious project-that right now exists solely on paper!

Originally Posted by grrinc: It's nice to see indie game developers doing so well. It harks me back to my ZX81 and ZX Spectrum days when computer 'whizz kids' were driving around Ferrari's thanks to all the games they were writing in their bedrooms.

Regarding Zombox - this has totally piqued my interest, I had no idea this was in development. May I ask, is it iOS only? I'd love to play this, but have no interest in Apples products.

You are missing out on a ton of really awesome indie games by avoiding IOS! I usually purchase at least 1 indie app a week. IOS really has opened up MASSIVE doors for smaller guys to get their ideas out there-and actually live off of them.

To steer the conversation to the Indies, I'm really interested in finding out if any developers have looked into other things in conjunction with their projects. As I mentioned earlier, merchandising, art books, etc. I've been keeping all of my concept art, renders, and story ideas with the intention of putting together a 'Making Of' book. It would cover everything from how I came up with the stories and puzzles, to actually building the game. I don't know if anyone would be interested in it, but the idea is there.

Last edited by Pyke : 01 January 2012 at 01:52 PM.

Thread Closed share thread