Wacom Cintiq knock-off

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2011   #61
Ok, just some general advices:

- Yes there alternatives out there, but please wait until enough reviews are in. You might accept such sluggish behaviour (like these draw errors displayed in the video) for a certain amount of time, but from my experience these become more annoying with time
- If you got the abillity to test them, try to draw multible paralel lines in various directions (horzontal / vertical and diagonal ) speed and positions (center border). This is a good way to check if the resolution and quality is constant accross the whole screen. (Jagged lines etc)
- The larger the tablet the more important color and brightness consitency becomes.
- older cintiqs models are still in stock for a reduced price at certain stores.
- the thick glass / display distance is also existent in cintiqs, from my experience you get used to it.
- buy a scratch-save sheet (whatever they are called in english) from the beginning. And I mean really _just after you unboxed it_. Also look for some reviews: Wacom expresses mixed feelings in using them (waranty void if the sheet is the reason if I renember it correctly)

Old 12 December 2011   #62
Okay, I guess I stand corrected. I have never seen this before on there site but if it is $2000 i would buy the cintiq instead , the Adesso does look to be quite large in the picture so maybe you would compare it to the Cintiq24" pricetag .

Originally Posted by teruchan: I'd have to find the link again, but the Adesso tablet I saw was almost $2000. That would be outrageous if it wasn't a direct-draw-on-the-screen type deal.

This is one I saw on Taobao.

Old 12 December 2011   #63
Originally Posted by yolao: hey Alfred

Did you found the issue of the horizontal lines with the Yiynova, that the guy from the video review that you linked pointed out?

thanks

Initially, yes I had some tiny streaks in Photoshop that would shoot out when making strokes on the left bottom part of the screen. It was really upsetting, but after adjusting the mapping and forcing proportions in the pen pad software it completely stopped.

I talked to Ben Beats about it and he said that it helped reduce the instances of that happening for him. I think his was an extreme case though. Probably a large part of overcoming this problem is ensuring that you use the latest driver from the Yiynova site.

Old 12 December 2011   #64
Thanks for the info Alfred. Good things to know.

Originally Posted by mfanyikazi: Initially, yes I had some tiny streaks in Photoshop that would shoot out when making strokes on the left bottom part of the screen. It was really upsetting, but after adjusting the mapping and forcing proportions in the pen pad software it completely stopped.

I talked to Ben Beats about it and he said that it helped reduce the instances of that happening for him. I think his was an extreme case though. Probably a large part of overcoming this problem is ensuring that you use the latest driver from the Yiynova site.

Old 01 January 2012   #65
Anyone ordered one of those Bosto 19 eventually ?

Old 04 April 2012   #66
For those interested I eventually got the Bosto 19" tablet display. It's just unboxed, so I need more testing, but so far here's my experience :

It Shipped fast, arrived in good conditions in about 4 days from Hong Kong to Paris. Had to pay the extra VAT (65EUR) to DHL due to customs. The casing was in good conditions (note that it's standard cardboard, not wood as stated on the site), and the product was well protected. The content was conform and complete, drivers intalled on Win 7 without problems (note : no mac drivers was visible on the disc)

The finishing of the product is okay but not perfect : in one corner I can see one small air bubble at the edge of the screen bezel (the black part), but the active screen part is ok and there's really plenty of space to draw (almost 50cm in diagonal). No dead pixel. It appears to be a toshiba screen underneath. Resolution is 1440*900 and the colours seem ok. Luminosity does shift a bit though when viewing at an angle, and since your sitting very close, it's more noticeable. It's no too heavy either, which is nice to put it aside, unlike the giant Cintiq.

The pen seems to have a good response and feels good in the hand. I experience no lag and it boasts 2048 levels of pressure. It's not of much use in 3D, but I got it for drawing in photoshop and manga studio, and there it does the job. No more funky hand/eye coordination problems. You still have a small gap between the tip of the pen and the actual picture (2 or 3 mm) due to the thickness of the screen protection, but I'm getting used to it. Must be the same on Cintiq.

With two monitors, I have to declare the tablet screen as primary monitor to be able to draw on it. I would have prefered to be able to leave it as second monitor, but the cursor always stays on the primary monitor so far. It may be something in the driver I missed.

I also miss more controls on the screen : contrary to another model I had seen on youtube, this one doesn't have buttons or scroll wheel on the side and doesn't rotate around its axis. Looking back at the product page, it's not mentionned either, so it must have been another model. My bad.

This is not a deal breaker as the item does what it says at an afforable price. So far I'm a happy camper. With Shipping and taxes it's still very good value for money and is bigger and cheaper than an Intuos XL with the advantage of the cintiq-like screen.

So far so good, more testing ahead.

Last edited by EricM : 04 April 2012 at 02:02 PM.

Old 04 April 2012   #67
I was following this thread, and a similar one on another site.

Good to hear that it was worth the money!

Old 04 April 2012   #68
I am from germany and try to find a way to buy an Yiynova or Bosto, any tips where I should head to on the web ? Couldnt find anything on ebay or amazon (uk). Thanks.

Old 04 April 2012   #69
I got the Bosto from Aliexpress.com. Note that since my last review, I noticed a small bubble appearing on the screen - probably between the LCD and the protection layer. Not a deal breaker yet, since it's not visible when the screen is on, but still annoying. Let's hope it's not going to get worse.

Old 04 April 2012   #70
Thanks a lot for the info ! Yeah, lets hope it wont get worse.They replied to Your report, did You see ?

Old 04 April 2012   #71
I would suggest anyone getting one of those go very thoroughly through the sellers feedback, that site seems like an ebay without buyer protection :/ Its somewhat curious no one is selling them direct from Europe or the US, my guess is its to do with the title of this thread?

I do wonder though about the quality of the actual panel they are using and its color performance, its quite an obvious area for them to cut costs, so obvious that I would never go near one of the knockoffs unless it was either VERY cheap, or until I had seen proper tests on the display showing its color range, 650 euro is a lot, regardless of the wacom price

Last edited by conbom : 04 April 2012 at 08:36 PM.

Old 04 April 2012   #72
When you buy a Magnarox, Sorny, Pretendo, or Folex, you sort of give up some of your right to complain. Knockoffs and clones generally perform as well as you'd expect a knockoff and clone to perform. Generally speaking, you get what you pay for. That's not to say that Wacom's products are worth every dime. They're great, but I feel that they're grossly overpriced for the tech that's in them. That said, with the brand name comes a fairly high build quality that few smaller manufacturers can equal. When it comes to buying off-brand, the standard "caveat emptor" warning applies. You usually get what you pay for and being penny wise, but dollar foolish will tend to cost you way more in the end.

I still say that that there's nothing inherently wrong with the cheaper 12wx. The contrast ratio definitely is less than what you're probably already running on your desktop's LCD, making the colors slightly more muted and less vibrant. However, the functionality is all there and the usable space is certainly enough for serious ZBrush work. I've had mine for a few years and have had few complaints.

Last edited by cookepuss : 04 April 2012 at 07:10 AM.

Old 04 April 2012   #73
Originally Posted by yolao: hey Alfred

Did you found the issue of the horizontal lines with the Yiynova, that the guy from the video review that you linked pointed out?

thanks

it 'appears' to be solved by installing newest drivers directly from their site, but in the comments of the sam review i saw he returned his tablet because he had some issues with it.

*lost the link, sorry*

This guy also has some great reviews. Both under MacOSX and windows. The Osx drivers seem to have some issues.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rayfrenden?feature=watch

Last edited by CHRiTTeR : 04 April 2012 at 08:34 AM.

Old 04 April 2012   #74
Although I agree with the get what you pay for doctrine I think in the case of graphics tablets, especially those with a display, you don't.

Wacom cintiqs are so highly priced that the knockoffs can be really highly priced and still look cheap in comparison to wacom. That said the wacom product has its own patients, R&D costs, small customer base and exceptional quality and service that they can be charging a price inline with workstation hardware on PCs

The knockoffs are likely using a TN panel, infringing on Wacom IP, the drivers suck and the build quality and customer service is likely crap. 650 euro is a hell of a lot of money for anything with a TN display, it would not surprise me if the manufacturing cost is minuscule and the component quality very low. The only reason they cost 650 euro is only because the wacoms are costing thousands(due to targeting the pro market not consumer), otherwise they would be few hundred dollars tops.

I would like to see Wacom targeting the consumer market more aggressively, they are at risk of becoming obsolete with all the tablets floating around. Its like when graphics hardware acceleration entered consumer PCs Silicon Graphics workstations became extinct within a few years.

Old 04 April 2012   #75
Originally Posted by conbom: Although I agree with the get what you pay for doctrine I think in the case of graphics tablets, especially those with a display, you don't.

Wacom cintiqs are so highly priced that the knockoffs can be really highly priced and still look cheap in comparison to wacom. That said the wacom product has its own patients, R&D costs, small customer base and exceptional quality and service that they can be charging a price inline with workstation hardware on PCs

The knockoffs are likely using a TN panel, infringing on Wacom IP, the drivers suck and the build quality and customer service is likely crap. 650 euro is a hell of a lot of money for anything with a TN display, it would not surprise me if the manufacturing cost is minuscule and the component quality very low. The only reason they cost 650 euro is only because the wacoms are costing thousands(due to targeting the pro market not consumer), otherwise they would be few hundred dollars tops.

I would like to see Wacom targeting the consumer market more aggressively, they are at risk of becoming obsolete with all the tablets floating around. Its like when graphics hardware acceleration entered consumer PCs Silicon Graphics workstations became extinct within a few years.

Well, i think its still a good start. Finally there is some viable competition and if everything goes well prices will start going down.

Thread Closed share thread