Wacom Cintiq knock-off

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2011
Originally Posted by Skamierski: i dont think wacom is the money worth either.
compare an ipad to them. the only thing an ipad is missing is better sensitivity and smaller tip sizes. but compared to the wacom it has like 100 times more high tech stuff in it.

I don't think so either. The Clitiqs do not reflect the price of a monitor with a Wacom tablet on it.

12 December 2011
Originally Posted by wuensch: As far as I remember the Ipad is like--aeh-- small compared to a Cintiq, isn't it?

Can`t talk for the chinese product, it might be wonderful (or might be like the iPod-ripoff I purchased a while ago: broken after half a year). I am a long time Wacom user (like: a real looong time) and the Cintiq 21" I am sitting now in front of is one of the first series they produced (at that time the price was roughly double the price it is now, not even considering inflation). I use it daily and excessively and also as Monitor when not drawing on it and it works perfectly, the color quality being among the best I have seen on a flatscreen to date, matches print output very well. I have had 3 PCs on that Cintiq 21 over the years, OS going from a Win 2k->XP->Windows 7., had at least 3 mice , 4 harddiscs, 2 keyboards, one graphics card die in that time and some other stuff, too.
The display of my brand new desktop-replacement laptop cannot remotely match the quality of the much older Cintiq (it is brighter, though but the colors are unreliable).

And I have just given away a 20" Wacom pen- tablet from like 15 years ago to a friend in need--the thing still runs smoothly with an adaptor-cable and drivers are still supported.

So, apart from the price, and that everybody likes to save money, I can attest Wacom that they really produce quality. At least the products I used were the best peripheral devices for PC I have spent money on up to now.
And that they care for a long term customer relationship by keeping drivers updated for old tablets, a thing that has become *very* rare in tech-world these days.

For me personally this kind of long life means the products are worth their money. Can`t talk for anybody else of course.
But the stuff I work with & earn my money with, and which is constantly in front of my precious eyes for hours every day(!) is not the thing I try to save money on first. I`d rather drive a smaller car (I actually do). Or less expensive shirts. Or cheaper beer--wait--no, who needs shirts *G*.

you might be right or you have just had luck with your long life time cintiq. its hard to say if a piece of tech is long living when you are only 1 single person. so although not wrong i wouldnt take your experience as standard. a subjective observation

Last edited by Skamierski : 12 December 2011 at 08:47 PM.

12 December 2011
Lets not start a tablet war.

Wuensch don't get me wrong, the Yiynova tablet is no knock off. It's not trying to be a wacom. The MSP-19 looks and feels like-its own product. Some of their newer models look like i-macs which is a little bit concerning for me, but that's neither here nor there.

Yes, Wacom's products have been tried and tested (I have an intuos 3 that I'm giving away after 4 years of use)-but the Cintiq 21 inch is terribly over priced. I would have no qualms about getting the cintiq 24 hd, and can understand the value for money for that particular product but 2400 dollars + 500 or so dollars for shipping is just impossible for me right now, and I'm certain there are other folks who feel the same way. So as a transitional device Yiynova's tablet works great. Use it for 12-24 months while you save up for a 24HD because lets face it- there is no better pen input device for artists out there. Up against my intuos 3 there is no comparison. I'm making digital drawings faster simply because I don't have to repeat my lines as often.

As an additional note bear in mind that you're not getting the yiynova tablet for colour accuracy (its terribly off), you will either need to use your primary monitor or attach a secondary calibrated monitor to the back to mirror the tablet monitor.

12 December 2011
Originally Posted by mfanyikazi: Lets not start a tablet war. ..

As an additional note bear in mind that you're not getting the yiynova tablet for colour accuracy (its terribly off), you will either need to use your primary monitor or attach a secondary calibrated monitor to the back to mirror the tablet monitor.

No tablet war, just thoughts.
I don`t work for Wacom.
And I am pretty sure that from the touch-pad boom there will develop alternatives to the Cintiq.

I would check out the chinese device if available somewhere and see myself if it is any good.

If you don`t care about the color quality you paint it might be a different story. I do, and the unsufficient color quality was the main reason I was never interested in the Cintiqs preceding the Cintiq21.

If you need another monitor to see the colors reliably then the WSIWYG magic of tablet painting would deteriorate for me.

@BigPixolin: A monitor tablet is not the same as a monitor & a tablet. The thing needs to work smoothly as a whole

@Skamierski: Of couse its subjective, as is every observation.

12 December 2011
Originally Posted by Skamierski: you might be right or you have just had luck with your long life time cintiq. its hard to say if a piece of tech is long living when you are only 1 single person. so although not wrong i wouldnt take your experience as standard. a subjective observation

It's not just one person. Everyone I've ever talked to says the same thing, me included. Wacom makes really good products and they support their drivers long after what would be normal. I've never had a Wacom break, it only stopped getting used.

Having said that, the Cintiqs are just too expensive for me as well so it's not really a choice of Cintiq vs. knockoff. It's knockoff or nothing.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

12 December 2011
Originally Posted by Skamierski: i dont think wacom is the money worth either.
compare an ipad to them. the only thing an ipad is missing is better sensitivity and smaller tip sizes. but compared to the wacom it has like 100 times more high tech stuff in it.

No offense, but I doubt Apple could make(or is even interested in making) a digitizer of the same caliber as the the Wacom digitizers. There's also the fact that they seem to dislike the idea of people using anything but their fingers on the screen.

A more worthy suggestion would be something like the Samsung Series 7 Slate(which uses a Wacom digitizer), but that has only 256 levels of pressure sensitivity and no tilt. The way I see it, though, the only reason they haven't put in a more advanced digitizer is because Wacom has denied them permission because they're afraid that slates with better digitizers will cut into the Cintiq line.

Originally Posted by wuensch: @BigPixolin: A monitor tablet is not the same as a monitor & a tablet. The thing needs to work smoothly as a whole

Even taking that into consideration, the price range for the Cintiq line is on the high side.

Lastly, the quality issue. Yes, I'd say Wacom has, for the most part produced extremely high quality products. I've owned an Intuos 3 for 3 years myself, and I can say it's really built well.
On the other hand, there was the whole terribly soldered-on USB connector on the Intuos 4 and the super-fast nib-eating surface sheets for the Intuos 4 and Bamboo series.
Of course, I'm hoping to see them learn from their mistakes on the next release, because I'm sure there are a decent amount of competitors looking to take advantage of any slip-up.

12 December 2011
I think the importance of pressure levels and so forth is way overstated as its all they have left to sell the product and keep it "new" and premium, Wacom nailed the base product decades ago and it has honestly barely changed at all. I recently started using an Intuos 2 after having worked on a Intuos 4 for a few years, and there was basically NO difference of any importance between the two. Then i got a bamboo for use with a laptop and found the painting experience exactly the same despite costing a fraction, I had never used one before because I honestly expected them to be far worse than they actually are.

I mainly paint with opacity set to pen pressure and a few brushes with a slight size based on pressure. Photoshop only seems to have 100 levels of opacity anyway so any pen pressure is going to easily cover it, let alone thousands of levels :/

On their website they have Photoshoped ALL the images of the products, the Cintiq 12WX looks like it has some super pinsharp OLED display with rich darks and even lighting, i bought one of those things for near a grand a few years ago and the thing had crappy washed out colour, glitched at the edges of the screen, light bleed all over it. The marketing images are a joke and very misleading, i think the Chinese knockoffs could match those and charge a third easily. That new tablet they have though seems a real step forward, i will give them that.

12 December 2011
Originally Posted by wuensch: @BigPixolin: A monitor tablet is not the same as a monitor & a tablet. The thing needs to work smoothly as a whole

I agree, I'm just not sold on the roughly $1,500 more it costs than a monitor and a tablet would cost.

12 December 2011
The Cintiq 12 just doesn't do it for me. I liked the experience on my Motion LE1600 Tablet PC better. I am seriously thinking about the Samsung Series 7 Slate, but now I am curious about Yiynova LCD.

Be careful on the price for that Bosto LCD.That price is for wholesale and I noticed you're expected to buy at least 100 units. The price here in China is 7980 RMB which is about $1300. For that price I would rather trust a good tablet PC.

There are others not mentioned though. A company called Adesso has one? Also something Nuerotronics or something? I was surprised how many Cintiq competitors I could find by searching. Why aren't people talking about these?
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

12 December 2011
teruchan,
I am pretty sure the Adesso tablet isn't the same as the Cintiq, it would be similar to the Wacom Bamboo, Intuos etc. (ie: you can't draw on the monitor with the Adesso like you can with the Cintiq.) Don't know anything about the Neurotronics one you mentioned.

12 December 2011
Originally Posted by teruchan: Be careful on the price for that Bosto LCD.That price is for wholesale and I noticed you're expected to buy at least 100 units. The price here in China is 7980 RMB which is about $1300. For that price I would rather trust a good tablet PC.

This site says minimum is 1.
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-f...holesalers.html

Too bad it's for Windows only, if it was compatible with Mac I would definitely consider it.

12 December 2011
Originally Posted by conbom: I think the importance of pressure levels and so forth is way overstated as its all they have left to sell the product and keep it "new" and premium, Wacom nailed the base product decades ago and it has honestly barely changed at all. I recently started using an Intuos 2 after having worked on a Intuos 4 for a few years, and there was basically NO difference of any importance between the two.

I've wondered about this. I don't switch enough between them to really know what the difference feels like. But when you read 2048 lvls its like, OOOHHHHHHH! Must be good.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

12 December 2011
Originally Posted by mmoir: teruchan,
I am pretty sure the Adesso tablet isn't the same as the Cintiq, it would be similar to the Wacom Bamboo, Intuos etc. (ie: you can't draw on the monitor with the Adesso like you can with the Cintiq.) Don't know anything about the Neurotronics one you mentioned.

I'd have to find the link again, but the Adesso tablet I saw was almost $2000. That would be outrageous if it wasn't a direct-draw-on-the-screen type deal.

This is one I saw on Taobao.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

12 December 2011
Originally Posted by conbom: I think the importance of pressure levels and so forth is way overstated as its all they have left to sell the product and keep it "new" and premium, Wacom nailed the base product decades ago and it has honestly barely changed at all.

I still have one of their original 6" tablets and as has been said before by others I stopped using it but every once and a while i'll grab it to bring with my laptop and it is still just as good as the higher levels of sensitivity models. tilt is really the only new thing in them.

12 December 2011
hey Alfred

Did you found the issue of the horizontal lines with the Yiynova, that the guy from the video review that you linked pointed out?

thanks

Thread Closed share thread