opafaf
portfolio
Michael Murdock
Illustrator
Sabor Design Studio
USA

Wacom Cintiq knock-off

Question for anyone who may know:
I am wanting a Cintiq, but they are prohibitively expensive for me. I have, however, came across a Chinese made tablet on Aliexpress.com. Here is the link:
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-f...holesalers.html

They also make a 19: version as well. Looking at the specs, they are surprisingly similar to Wacom specs... anyone have any experience with these tablets? They are called Bosto 17" and Bosto 19"

Any thoughts?

Old 11-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

Those are unlikely to be worth the money, just like any other Chinese knockoff. If you've got enough money to buy one of those, I'd take it and buy a Wacom Intuos

Old 11-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
BigPixolin
Banned

c none
US

That is interesting, I wish clintiqs were priced like that, you know what they are actually worth. Don't get me wrong Clintiqs are "worth" it to me. They just aren't priced according to whats in them. Kinda like Apple hardware.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
opafaf
portfolio
Michael Murdock
Illustrator
Sabor Design Studio
USA

Aren't most things made in China now anyway? I was in contact with the MFG and he claims that the Chinese use this tablet rather than the Wacom, and that it is just as good, but cheaper. It is priced so much lower than a Cintiq, I may just end up getting it and trying it out. It may very well be a valid alternative to Wacom.. I don't know. It is tempting, that is sure.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
adamdaly
HomicidalPsycoJungleCat

Adam Daly
Belfast, Ireland

Have you seen the shipping costs!? I think those make it prohibitively expensive...

adam

Old 11-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
mfanyikazi
Frequenter

portfolio
Alfred Muchilwa
Nairobi, Kenya

Just look up Yiynova on amazon. The chinese ones might be fine price conidering, but almost none of them are cross platform.

A

Old 11-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
opafaf
portfolio
Michael Murdock
Illustrator
Sabor Design Studio
USA

@adamdaly Even with the shipping costs, they are WAAYYY cheaper than a wacom cintiq.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by opafaf
@adamdaly Even with the shipping costs, they are WAAYYY cheaper than a wacom cintiq.

Yeah, even with shipping it's still less than 1/6 the price of a Cintiq. But there are always intangibles on things like this. Without being able to try one, you are taking a gamble. And who know what kind of drawing surface it has and how durable it is. How hard is it to replace pens or tips?

Yes, Cintiqs are (a bit) overpriced, but I think you get what you pay for. They've put a lot of years and R&D into tablets and I think the results of that experience are in the product. But to claim "it's just as good but cheaper" is hearsay. Until you use both over some period of time, how could anyone say that? What if they never worked on a Cintiq? Then this one might appear superior to anything else available to them.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
opafaf
portfolio
Michael Murdock
Illustrator
Sabor Design Studio
USA

That is exactly the dilemma I am in. I was hoping to find someone on here who has actual experience with one of these. I guess we'll see.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by opafaf
Aren't most things made in China now anyway? I was in contact with the MFG and he claims that the Chinese use this tablet rather than the Wacom, and that it is just as good, but cheaper. It is priced so much lower than a Cintiq, I may just end up getting it and trying it out. It may very well be a valid alternative to Wacom.. I don't know. It is tempting, that is sure.

It's not where it's made, it's how it's designed. Chinese knockoffs are notorious for being terrible. It's just like all the knockoff iPods and stuff like that, they can make them really cheap but they aren't worth the money at all.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #11
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

I see this product listed quite a few other places but not a review anywhere.

For that money you could look into a DIY Cintiq. I was 1-click away from buying a kit but the guy who makes and sells them never responded and that kinda turned me off.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 11-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #12
SpiralFace
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Christopher Lowrey
Freelance CG character Modeler
San Francisco, USA

Send a message via AIM to SpiralFace
I haven't tried this product, or any other off brand Pen tablet product in quite a while.

But I sure do remember when I did. Trying out a super cheap tablet whose pen required its own AAA batteries to preform with sub-par pen accuracy.

Sure, the Cintiq's seem overpriced for what the hardware actually does, but I find my own indispensable for my day to day workflow which makes it just that much more valuable to me.

If the screen isn't accurate, the pen doesn't have the functionality, or one of the MANY software features / support that you tend to only get when using a wacom product, then I honestly don't even find it worth your time. If you want something cheaper then a Cintiq, I would rather work with a Bamboo, or other Cheaper off brand product that doesn't have the same functionality.

That being said, I would love to see an actual GOOD competitor in the tablet market, since that would be one of the only ways that you will probably see the price of the hardware drop.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #13
opafaf
portfolio
Michael Murdock
Illustrator
Sabor Design Studio
USA

Well, I may end up buying it in the end, after I save up some cash.. still undecided. Here is their official website I believe: http://painterstar.com/

if anyone who speaks Chinese could tell me whether or not it is a valid option, that would be great.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:52 PM   #14
CofTsucks
Know-it-All
portfolio
Barny Noble
Paris, United States Minor Outlying Islands

There is the Yiyonova. I believe it was recently reviewed in 3d world magazine and got a descent rating.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:11 AM   #15
balistic
wacom jock

portfolio
Brian Prince
Sr. 3D Artist
IGT
Reno, USA

Why not buy a used, older-model Cintiq (like the 15" and 18" models)? There are plenty of those still in circulation, and you'll probably have better luck with compatibility.

Thread Closed share thread