iPad App for 3D artist

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2011
iPad App for 3D artist

Hi all.

In the last 6 months I have developed an app called iMesh for iPad. It is a 3D editor where you can create primitives, edit vertices, edges, triangles and polygons, save and import files, etc.

This is the link in App Store: iMesh

I'm working in an update with some improvements and extra features like materials and textures.

If anybody is interested and have any suggestion, please tell me and I will work in it. Hope you like it

PS: If it is not allowed this kind of "spam" thread, please tell me and I will alert a moderator to delete it. Thanks.

Last edited by JM_Claveria : 09 September 2011 at 08:40 AM. Reason: words mistakes

09 September 2011
Looks very interesting.
Whenever seeing these iPad 3d apps , I'd like to buy an iPad. haha

09 September 2011
Bought and used for a few minutes so far.

First impressions:
An instruction page would be helpful. The selection plus/minus buttons to the left weren't obvious at first on how to use them - I expected them to be "sticky" like the buttons for selecting point/face/object instead of needing to be held in conjunction with the select. Not that it is wrong, I just didn't expect it, and with no instructions came about it by accident.

One really nice thing to add would be Dropbox support. If I could open/save to my Dropbox, it would alleviate having to use the iTunes file transfer (which is kind of clunky) for working with models. (Especially since I don't sync my iPad that often.)

Looks like nice work. I look forward to seeing where this goes.

09 September 2011
Originally Posted by 86point5: Bought and used for a few minutes so far.

First impressions:
An instruction page would be helpful. The selection plus/minus buttons to the left weren't obvious at first on how to use them - I expected them to be "sticky" like the buttons for selecting point/face/object instead of needing to be held in conjunction with the select. Not that it is wrong, I just didn't expect it, and with no instructions came about it by accident.

One really nice thing to add would be Dropbox support. If I could open/save to my Dropbox, it would alleviate having to use the iTunes file transfer (which is kind of clunky) for working with models. (Especially since I don't sync my iPad that often.)

Looks like nice work. I look forward to seeing where this goes.

Thank you very much for your impressions, they are very important for improving the app.

I will make a short tutorial and a menu item will be added in the next version. I hope to finish it in one week.

Adding dropbox would be nice, I thought artists would prefer synchronize their files using iTunes but I guess I was wrong. I will be working on it as soon as finish the other tasks.

Thank you and regards.

09 September 2011
It's a pretty nice app. Here's an interview I had with the developer:

http://tideart.com/?id=4e5ff025

09 September 2011
Originally Posted by elfguy: It's a pretty nice app. Here's an interview I had with the developer:

http://tideart.com/?id=4e5ff025

Thank you very much for the interview, it was very interesting

09 September 2011
It only took me a couple of minutes to figure out how it works. I think its a fairly good tool so far.

One thing i noticed as an iPad 2 user, the rotation is locked upside down when I'm using the "smart cover". Not a big deal at all, but will the rotation be unlocked in a future release?

PAN

09 September 2011
nice work...but I hate anything Apple

until 3DS MAX is available for MACs I am strictly PC

09 September 2011
If you made it for Android tablets, I would buy it even for 10 dollars.
BTW, 0.99 cents is just ridiculously cheap. When I saw it, the price somehow makes me think that it is a low quality tool, which it is not. I mean, even a cup of coffee costs more. I think you should crank the price to maybe 3.99 or similar. Most people interested in buying it, would pay a bit more than 99 cents anyway. Just think in this way: if lets say you have 100 potential buyers who are considering to buy your app, you might get a 60 of them to buy it if the price is 99 cents. But if you make the price 3.99$, you would only get about 30 of them to buy it. So, in the first case, you would make only 60 bucks, but in the second, you would make 120$. Anyway I don't know how apple store works... but I guess that selling a 3D modeling app tool for a dollar is a bit to little...

09 September 2011
just downloaded. Looks cool.

09 September 2011
Originally Posted by oktalWind: If you made it for Android tablets, I would buy it even for 10 dollars.
BTW, 0.99 cents is just ridiculously cheap. When I saw it, the price somehow makes me think that it is a low quality tool, which it is not. I mean, even a cup of coffee costs more. I think you should crank the price to maybe 3.99 or similar. Most people interested in buying it, would pay a bit more than 99 cents anyway. Just think in this way: if lets say you have 100 potential buyers who are considering to buy your app, you might get a 60 of them to buy it if the price is 99 cents. But if you make the price 3.99$, you would only get about 30 of them to buy it. So, in the first case, you would make only 60 bucks, but in the second, you would make 120$. Anyway I don't know how apple store works... but I guess that selling a 3D modeling app tool for a dollar is a bit to little...

Agreed here, its way too low price for such a nice app. Feels like a ripoff for the author to buy it for 1$ and gives a bit bad vibes when looking at it.

09 September 2011
I've used it a little more, now.

Do you have a place for "official" feedback? I wasn't sure if you wanted it on the wordpress site.

Thanks for putting that wordpress page up with the UI help. I couldn't figure out what the lower right button was - the 'show backface' button. Though, I don't see any difference in the display with it on or off. I'm assuming it should cull backfaces in wireframe mode, but it doesn't seem to do that. Or is it supposed to do something else?

One thing I would like is an option on the 'move' tool to move a face along the normal. It seems there is only the ability to move on the XYZ axis - as opposed to the extrude tool where you can extrude along an axis by dragging the axis marker, or extrude along normal by dragging the 'circle'.

09 September 2011
Very nice so far.
my suggestions will be
1. remove the green bounding box display. it is distracting
2 add a split edge tool something like the one in xsi
2 if possible allow dragging of components in perspective. Selecting first then moving is not interactive enough

i agree increase the price a bit once you get some more tools in. i believe anyone in this industry with an ipad can afford at least 4.99
99 for iphone and ipod touch should be ok not ipad

09 September 2011
...double post

Last edited by NeoScrawl : 09 September 2011 at 02:39 PM.

11 November 2011
Hola Juan, quería decirte que iMesh es el mejor editor para ios que he probado. Soy profesional del 3d, he trabajado para compañías de desarrollo de videojuegos y creo que tu aplicación podría hacerse con un mercado que actualmente está desierto, necesita un par de cosas, eso si.
-Unos archivos y snapshots de ejemplo que dejen la boca abierta ( los cuales estaría encantado de modelar)
-Un modificador o modo de simetría, para trabajar sólo en una mitad del modelo.
-La opción de dividir caras ( o insertar loops).
-Un buen marketing y visibilidad en sitios especializados en 3d y arte digital (cgtalk, etc).

Thread Closed share thread