Prometheus - the reviews are as split as John Hurt's chest

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  06 June 2012
Okay, so am I the only one who did some math so far?

SPOILER
The engineers got angry with humanity about 2000 years ago, so sometime after 0 A.D. I wonder what happened at about that time, what did we do... Are they really planning to go there in the sequel?
__________________
Tamas Varga
 
  06 June 2012
Originally Posted by grrinc: Does anyone know of a site that is discussing this films plot? I'd like to get other takes on it because I am sure there must be stuff that I didn't get, even though I'm sure I did.


Go here:

http://www.prometheusforum.net/categories/prometheus

This is the best site I've found. The signal-to-noise ratio is 50:50, not bad considering this is, afterall, the internet.

TC
 
  06 June 2012
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: SPOILER
The engineers got angry with humanity about 2000 years ago, so sometime after 0 A.D. I wonder what happened at about that time, what did we do... Are they really planning to go there in the sequel?


Ridley said that humans crucified engineer... or something ..


inteview's last answer
http://www.movies.com/movie-news/ri...-interview/8232
 
  06 June 2012
Originally Posted by daks: Ridley said that humans crucified engineer... or something ..


inteview's last answer
http://www.movies.com/movie-news/ri...-interview/8232


He's not actually saying it is exactly that, that is in response to the idea of it.

But yeah, I thought about the dates involved in relation to that, too.

There's also the fact that based on the worldwide artifacts, they were still visiting, up to a point in time, and not far from that point in time.

Considering he went ahead and blew the subtlety of not knowing officially if Deckard is a replicant or not, by coming out and saying he feels that he is a replicant, I wouldn't put it past him to do something so "on the nose", as he put it.
 
  06 June 2012
This movie, and I hope thats no spoiler, depends heavily on where it goes from here, since it just doesn't work as a stand-alone story. At the moment I am severely dissappointed and really fear that the Bladerunner sequel will be a similiar disaster.
I dunno if it was a clever idea to involve the "Lost" writer and the "Cowboy vs Aliens" writer, I feel that Sasha Baron Cohen or Ben Stiller would have been able to deliver a better script.
With the current level of TV shows such as Mad Men or Game of Thrones, where even the weak ones were better and more interesting than Prometheus, I can't really accept this as a movie from Ridley Scott, sorry.
__________________
Ciao,
Emmanuel
PXLRY
 
  06 June 2012
I was thinking that the allegory from the title would work the best like this:

- gods: the ones with the flying saucer
- titans: the engineers
- Prometheus: the engineer in the opening sequence, stealing something from the gods
- fire: the black goo
- the eagle that eats Prom's liver as a punishment: the alien

So, both the engineers and humans were created by the yet unseen creatures with the flying saucer, which explains the similarities in our DNA. This also explains why the engineers haven't seem to evolve at all in the 3-4 billion years since life has appeared on Earth - they are a relatively young civilization too and the opening sequence is not about starting life on Earth but about something else.
Considering the similar vistas in the opening and in the landing sequence, I'd say the sacrifice happens on LV-223 (or whatever it's called) and is not about creating life, but about something else. It could be about terraforming, something the engineers wanted to teach us when we're able to travel the stars, and that is why we were invited to that planet originally.
But in the mean time the gods decided to punish the engineers, and the one survivor wanted to kill every human getting there from bringing this punishment to Earth.

The movie would make a lot more sense this way, IMHO.
But then Scott himself was talking about completely different things...
__________________
Tamas Varga
 
  06 June 2012
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: Okay, so am I the only one who did some math so far?

SPOILER
The engineers got angry with humanity about 2000 years ago, so sometime after 0 A.D. I wonder what happened at about that time, what did we do... Are they really planning to go there in the sequel?


Are you implying that they're anti-Christian?
 
  06 June 2012
No, but I think the movie implies that the engineers got angry when humans crucified Jesus. Who may or may not have been an engineer himself...

In which case the cross that Shaw is wearing may be the reason why in the sequel they forgive humanity and the rest of the Alien series can happen (because they decide not to destroy all humans)


Not that I'd like this to be the story...
__________________
Tamas Varga
 
  06 June 2012
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: No, but I think the movie implies that the engineers got angry when humans crucified Jesus. Who may or may not have been an engineer himself...

In which case the cross that Shaw is wearing may be the reason why in the sequel they forgive humanity and the rest of the Alien series can happen (because they decide not to destroy all humans)


Not that I'd like this to be the story...



Hmmm... I think if Jesus was 10 feet tall, it would have been mentioned somewhere in the Bible. That said, Goliath (as in 'David & Goliath') was said to be over 9 ft tall. He was supposedly from a race of very tall/strong people. Some believe he was a nephilim. But maybe the filmmakers are setting him up as an engineer?

Overall, the only part that really bugged me was
[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
Theron's death... I mean, that stupid ship felt like it was crashing for a half hour, and she couldn't turn to her left or right? Stupid.


But honestly, this film should have been better. It's like they're saving the good stuff for the next film. Which is a disservice to the audience. Lindelof is on notice as far as I'm concerned.

Prometheus in 3D, in space, was worth the price of admission for me though. Beautiful work.
 
  06 June 2012
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: No, but I think the movie implies that the engineers got angry when humans crucified Jesus. Who may or may not have been an engineer himself...

In which case the cross that Shaw is wearing may be the reason why in the sequel they forgive humanity and the rest of the Alien series can happen (because they decide not to destroy all humans)

Not that I'd like this to be the story...


If Van Daniken has a "Jesus was a Alien" chapter in his book, then I'm sure this theory is plausible.

btw, another Christ reference in the beginning was a Christmas tree, and they arrived on Christmas.

Last edited by Creed : 06 June 2012 at 01:23 PM.
 
  06 June 2012
Originally Posted by daks: Ridley said that humans crucified engineer... or something ..


inteview's last answer
http://www.movies.com/movie-news/ri...-interview/8232


Ugh - that's one of the most sycophantic interviews I've seen in a long time...
__________________
Andrew G. Morgan
Writer/Director
Survivor Films Ltd.
www.survivorfilms.co.uk
 
  06 June 2012
I saw the movie yesterday, I was not thrilled about it but I enjoyed it. To say the movie is bad is simply poor choice of words. Just because one did not enjoy it and it failed short of one's expectations doesn't make it bad.
This is a well constructed movie with couple flaws as some pointed out well.
Someone said in earlier post's that it's funny how David turned out to be one of the best rounded characters even tho he was an android, I agree with that. Fassbender did a great job.

I try to take in things without preconceptions and enjoy the ride as much as I can(some posters here obviously can't do that) Also, reading trough critics and forum discussions prior watching the movie is wrong. Dont do it if you want to enjoy the film. I try not to watch trailers and have as little knowledge as possible before I go and see the movie. Trust me when I say you will enjoy your movies lot more.

While I'm here I gotta put in small critique. Possible spoiler ahead!!!
There was a ridiculous detail in the movie that made me cringe(it did not spoil the movie, but has not helped either) at the point when they first entered the tomb I think.
There were these small worm like critters crawling on floor around "canopic jars". These small critters are Zophobas morio. I'm well familiar with these since I own bearded dragon that feeds on these larvae. These larvae are mostly used in b-production movies and a low budget horror/slasher movies. Did it took to much time or money to create small cg worm-like creatures that appear for about 5 seconds.
Also, I think the dream part from Elizabeth Shaw stasis capsule was poorly executed visually. They could have done a better job there, the sepia tinted video footage overlayed with that 2.5 D grain looked cheap to me.


Cheers
 
  06 June 2012
Originally Posted by AIR: Just because one did not enjoy it and it failed short of one's expectations doesn't make it bad.


I disagree. This film has fundamental problems with character development and storytelling. Whether or not these bother you will vary from person to person, but they're there, whether you like it or not.
__________________
leighvanderbyl.com
 
  06 June 2012
Granted, I'm pretty easy to please, but I liked the movie. The movie is exactly what the trailer depicted in my eyes. Not sure what the disappointed folks were expecting.
__________________
Daniel Broadway 2013 Compositor Reel

Vimeo Videos
Daniel Broadway

 
  06 June 2012
There is no point in spoiler tagging any more the movie is out.

Quote: Originally Posted by AIR
Just because one did not enjoy it and it failed short of one's expectations doesn't make it bad.


No that is exactly what makes it bad. That is the definition of bad.


This is not some "brain teaser" movie. This is the writer of Lost who wrote the worst ending to a tv show in history just ruining another franchise. This movie has about the same character development as a porn movie.

My favorites are the geologist and the other scientist guy:

Geologist: This dude is ANGRY. Why? we don't know. He is there to get paid and screw anyone else. They make the biggest discovery of mankind and he acts like somebody spilled his drink. "I AM HERE FOR ROCKS, NOT THIS CRAP I AM GOING BACK TO THE SHIP" then he gets in the face of the other scientist for some reason and storms off with the other guy who I will get to in a sec. It is not plausible in ANY universe that a scientist will act like that in the face of discovery of that magnitude. This guy is straight out of the "cliche character templates for your movie" book.


The other scientist guy: He is shitting his pants from fear but for some reason he acts like he found a space kitten when a clearly hostile snake like alien life form appears and hisses. Even better he cracks a JOKE when the alien attacks him. "Ok you can help get it off me now" are you serious? This would be like John Hurts character saying something like "It must be the burrito I ate yesterday" when the chest burster came out of his chest. Absolutely terrible writing.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.