Hanging by a thread: How the online nerdy T-shirt economy exists in an IP world

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

12 December 2017
Hanging by a thread: How the online nerdy T-shirt economy exists in an IP world

If big media has legal muscle, why can you buy Link racing Harley Quinn on a shirt? https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...in-an-ip-world/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

12 December 2017
Time to start making some cool nerd Tshirts.

And lets not forget my other Tshirt

These are no longer for sale. I sold a few but not many. Didn't have my marketing engine going just yet. This was a part of the commercial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqtXvLyQLJw

I was going to run a few of these little commercials where Tyrone says crazy stuff and it cuts to something funny he said and had them put on influencer sites.
A few crazy commercials planned.
"If you buy this Tshirt all your dreams will come true" (cut) guy running from a monster crying "not this dream, not this dream" (cut back to Tyrone laughing)
I just wanted him saying the most random things only to cut to a scene.
I'm going to work on that still but attach the commercials to my IP.

12 December 2017
As someone who has invested years of time and huge amounts of money into creating original IP's, I have a huge problem with the 'nerd shirt' economy - specifically people making money off someone elses artistic work.

Make your own.

12 December 2017
yeah, its a bit disturbing but there is money to be made in the market. It flows because as the article stated, the attorneys could shut the sites down in a heartbeat, however, its not worth their time or risk at this point. Especially at the risk of not winning the suit and opening the doors even wider. Right now, they are controlling the chaos as needed.

The funny thing is hearing about the artists that are creating derivatives that are being copied. They can't do anything about it because they are creating works of someone else's IP anyway, so its basically the wild west. First come, first serve, keep moving type of environment.

For the original creator that has limited means, you will just have to deal with the environment and keep moving as well. The key to making a significant income in that market seems to be to have a few thousand designs (SKUs) or to be in a niche that is well branded, exclusive (expensive) and too difficult to copy. Most people are doing the cheap, high volume route though.

12 December 2017
Quote: As someone who has invested years of time and huge amounts of money into creating original IP's, I have a huge problem with the 'nerd shirt' economy - specifically people making money off someone elses artistic work.

Make your own.

I'm a big advocate of creating my own things but I"m guessing a lot of times people try that and things don't sell because sadly people don't want original things. Plus when you get into parody type works...for example Godzilla fighting Evangelion...folks want that but companies are not supplying it so they look for these niche type shirts and find it. Some are quite creative.

I like this guy's work..but I think he also liscenses them professionally.
https://www.teeturtle.com/collections/tees

Anyone have any ideas on finding a license?

reply share thread