THE WALKING DEAD thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  03 March 2013
Originally Posted by ragdoll: Why must they insist on the idea that they can only walk? What about running, jumping, climbing, or crawling? It frustrates me whenever I watch this show.

And what's the deal with all the limping? It's not like any kind of physical damage slows them down, that's the whole point of being a zombie, right?

Why are you walking with a limp? Did you sprain your ankle?
Why are you standing all crooked like that? Do you have back pains?
Why are you turning around like a robot? Stiff neck?

If you're show is about zombies, make them as big of a threat as possible! Do what Valve did with 'Left for dead'. Now that's a fucking scary world to live in! All odds are against you and they have an unfair advantage! Add in some psychological and social stress. Mad world.

[/rant]


Well, zombies were originally slow because of rigamortis (muscles just start to seize up), but over the years, their depiction on film, tv shows and games has had them speeding up.

Some of the zombies in the show walk all gimpy because the bones in their limbs are broken... case in point was the light gray top wearing woman in a recent episode that clearly showed her ankle caved over. She was literally walking on the inside-side of her foot... that's gotta slow a person down, pain or no pain.

That said, I totally get what you mean. Zombies don't feel pain, so technically physical injuries shouldn't slow them down (unless the injury is to the mechanics of them getting around).

 
  03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Pixanaut: Well, zombies were originally slow because of rigamortis (muscles just start to seize up), but over the years, their depiction on film, tv shows and games has had them speeding up.

Some of the zombies in the show walk all gimpy because the bones in their limbs are broken... case in point was the light gray top wearing woman in a recent episode that clearly showed her ankle caved over. She was literally walking on the inside-side of her foot... that's gotta slow a person down, pain or no pain.

That said, I totally get what you mean. Zombies don't feel pain, so technically physical injuries shouldn't slow them down (unless the injury is to the mechanics of them getting around).



ok...mechanics, i'll agree with that, but surely not all zombies had leg injuries.

the way i see it...
zombies = cyborgs / robots in human form

they don't feel pain therefore they shouldn't slow down. if they can walk, claw and bite, they should damn well be able to do everything else. the governors daughter understands me. she seemed to be the only one zombie that could run.
__________________
 
  03 March 2013
The is the show now:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd....230242169_n.jpg
__________________
WhatWeMake
 
  03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Pixanaut: The biggest problem is that I don't give a damn about ANY of the characters anymore.


That's the problem for me right there, said pretty succinctly. Difficult to be specific without spoilers but some of the various changes the characters go through just don't seem convincing to me and many of them feel like they lack any real depth or humanity. Since the series is clearly about the people a lot more than the zombies that's a bit of a problem IMO. There are still some good action moments from time to time but too much drawn out exposition most of the rest of the time, and the acting can often be pretty poor.

Maybe it's just that Breaking Bad has raised my standards

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 03 March 2013 at 03:23 PM.
 
  03 March 2013
On the issue of limping, IMHO, since zombies brains aren't "all there", as shown in the cranial scan at the CDC, they probably just don't have the proper neural conections to establish/coordinate a proper walk.
__________________
My Deviations
 
  03 March 2013
Originally Posted by ragdoll: If you're show is about zombies, make them as big of a threat as possible! Do what Valve did with 'Left for dead'. Now that's a fucking scary world to live in! All odds are against you and they have an unfair advantage! Add in some psychological and social stress. Mad world.

[/rant]


In my opinion, fast zombies take away what really sets them apart from other monsters though.

The scary aspect of zombies isn't that one can charge and take you down. It's that they're never ending, that they don't sleep, that they'll never, never stop coming for you. Sure, one or two of them, even dozens, can be shot or easily escaped simply by running.

But you have to rest. You're going to get hungry. And when you finally do let your guard down they'll still be there. Still slowly, steadily, coming for you. And the ever present knowledge that they're always coming will never leave your thoughts.

For me zombies are all about the long game, about stamina and sanity. It's the contrast between seeming harmless or benign at first glance, and slowly but steadily realizing what a danger they are as you grow tired.

I agree with the above, a slow zombie show needs good characters to work. Unfortunately the characters in this show are some of the worse.
__________________
-Michael

www.MichaelSime.com
 
  03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Horganovski: That's the problem for me right there, said pretty succinctly. Difficult to be specific without spoilers but some of the various changes the characters go through just don't seem convincing to me and many of them feel like they lack any real depth or humanity. Since the series is clearly about the people a lot more than the zombies that's a bit of a problem IMO. There are still some good action moments from time to time but too much drawn out exposition most of the rest of the time, and the acting can often be pretty poor.

Maybe it's just that Breaking Bad has raised my standards

Cheers,
Brian


Haven't seen a single episode just yet, I'm not into TV actually, and currently, I only following Supernatural.

But I think I kinda like Carl. There is a lot of meme on 9gag about him having keeping doing dangerous thing and all. Maybe I'll just rent the whole season DVD whenever I felt right (I hate waiting, which is why I prefer this compared to one episode per week).

off topic: The last miniseries I do this to is Ghost Whisperer. End of season one was kind of nice trick!
 
  03 March 2013
Originally Posted by eliseu gouveia: On the issue of limping, IMHO, since zombies brains aren't "all there", as shown in the cranial scan at the CDC, they probably just don't have the proper neural conections to establish/coordinate a proper walk.


never mind the fact that everything about them is decaying and non functional, you're going to point out specifics on neural connections?

Originally Posted by Michael5188: The scary aspect of zombies isn't that one can charge and take you down. It's that they're never ending, that they don't sleep, that they'll never, never stop coming for you. Sure, one or two of them, even dozens, can be shot or easily escaped simply by running.

But you have to rest. You're going to get hungry. And when you finally do let your guard down they'll still be there. Still slowly, steadily, coming for you. And the ever present knowledge that they're always coming will never leave your thoughts.

For me zombies are all about the long game, about stamina and sanity. It's the contrast between seeming harmless or benign at first glance, and slowly but steadily realizing what a danger they are as you grow tired.


you can't accomplish this same situation with "normal" functioning zombies because...? wouldn't it be even more intense?

of course if they were faster, then the rules can be less strict...you can get bitten or scratched and you won't turn...only end game is death. just like l4d, but they can run, jump, climb and crawl. that's all i ask.
__________________
 
  03 March 2013
I think they could have done something great if they had followed the books more closely. Now they just water down everything over an eternity.

Personally, I think the biggest flaw in zombies movie is that there's no flock of crows following them. Walking meat on sticks would not survive long in the real world.
__________________
So long and thanks for all the fish
 
  03 March 2013
Originally Posted by ragdoll: never mind the fact that everything about them is decaying and non functional, you're going to point out specifics on neural connections?

If you have another theory for why their movements are so sketchy, please do feel free to share it with the class.
__________________
My Deviations
 
  03 March 2013
That would greatly depend on the movie/universe/virus.

Muscles need circulating blood to move. Right at the start, we are in pure fantasy. Also if zombies need to eat humans/brains, that mean they have a working digestive system, that their body crave energy. That throw the "undead" theory right out of the window. I love the old school zombies (slow and stupid) more than the new, more stressful, olympic zombies. Hey, that's a good one; Zombies. The Olympics.

I might be better to skip series 3 and rewatch Shaun of the Dead instead.
__________________
So long and thanks for all the fish

Last edited by earwax69 : 03 March 2013 at 09:06 AM.
 
  03 March 2013
Originally Posted by ragdoll: you can't accomplish this same situation with "normal" functioning zombies because...? wouldn't it be even more intense?


Well not exactly (kind of explained why in my post). The fact that they're slow and seemingly benign is what makes the concept more haunting. Cause at first glance they seem harmless, like it's not a big deal. But they gradually over take you, or catch you when you make a mistake.

It's the slow, creeping death that's disturbing. If they were just running everywhere it wouldn't be quite the same.

I'm not against running zombies, just prefer the slow ones if done right.
__________________
-Michael

www.MichaelSime.com
 
  03 March 2013
Originally Posted by eliseu gouveia: If you have another theory for why their movements are so sketchy, please do feel free to share it with the class.


i think you misunderstood...when i was asking those questions in my first post, i was being sarcastic and i'm not really interested in finding an answer to those questions nor do i have one myself, because in the land of hollywood, 1+1=potato there is no right or wrong answer, everything is make believe and i accept that.

however, once you start setting up some ground rules to your game, the least you can do is follow thru and make sure you cover the basics.

-dead people come back to life and they're out to get you. ok, cool!
-they can only walk after you and not run because they have muscle problems... hmmm, ok?
-they can't jump, climb, crawl, smash windows or open doors...ok.
-they can't think beyond "i'm going to eat you"... well that doesn't sound very threatening.
-a scratch or a bite and it's game over...ok, that sounds better! now what?
-let me ruin the game by introducing something clever but at the same time it's essentially a cheat code to this game...and that is...?
-take away their ability to bite you, cut off their arms, and they can be your personal caddie! that is pretty clever!
-not only that, but they also serve as a cloaking device masking your presence to other zombies! so why don't i just make every zombie i encounter my caddie/cloak, roam the streets freely gathering supplies and weapons, find other survivors along the way, teach them what i know, and together we can reclaim civilization!
-no, no...we're not going to let you do that, because your logic and common sense don't belong in our zombie land of make believe. okay.jpg

fine, i'll make my own zombie land of make believe with logic and common sense!
__________________
 
  03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
__________________
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.