THE WALKING DEAD thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2011
Honestly, I REALLY disliked this season. They dragged it out way too much and I felt like after a while, the characters just fell into a rut where they just kept saying the same thing over and over again. It was as though the writers kept getting stuck for transitions, so they just gave every charecter a "go to speech" that they could just copy and paste and that would get them through to the next scene.

Stuck for a way to move from the highway to the farm house? Have old guy give the "I'm sorry I took your gun. Can you forgive me?" speech. Can't move from the farmhouse to the highschool? Have the wife give the "How can we go on like this?" speech.

The last full episode I watched was the episode right before the well walker. I also watched the last 20 minutes or so of the last episode. The "surprise" ending was kind of ok, but honestly, they dragged it out so much and spent so much time making me dislike so many of the characters that I flat out didn't care when the "surprise" happened. Plus, at that point, I think most people had kind of figured that out anyway. I'll probably tune in for an episode or two when it comes back, but if they don't make any adjustments I'll be out for good.

12 December 2011
Originally Posted by Ohmanoggin: . In the grand scheme of things, Shane is the weakest character.

Thank you! And this is exactly what the show was trying to say when Shane was having the conversation with Lori. Shane keeps saying Rick isn't making the tough choices, but honestly, having a cynical, almost hopeless and militaristic view is the easy choice, it's the easiest of all. The hard path is the one Rick is taking, still trying to hold onto their humanity, still holding out on hope.

Shane has small moments of talking sense, but he is approaching things way to coldly now. After killing Otis, Shane has become a post-apocalyptic survival robot. That's great if you're alone, but he's not, and that mindset simply will not work in this group/family setting.

Really, I think his obsession/jealousy concerning Lori and the boy with be his downfall.

Anyways, as far as season 2 so far, I think they could have covered all of this is 2 or 3 episodes. It is reaaaally being dragged out. Here's hoping they pick things up. (how many times do characters have to have a conversation about what's the point of living? We get it! Move on!)

www.MichaelSime.com

12 December 2011
I didn't say I would ever want Shane to lead me in similar circumstances, of course Rick is a decent guy and a stronger individual... but speaking from an entertainment view, being sensible is making this show so dull, how about they just all live happily ever after on the farm... this show needs some real bad guys, even the zombies are useless now.. and as I see it Shane hasn't done anything too awful apart from the way he handled that scene in the last episode, the show needs him or I might as well watch the Walton's

12 December 2011
Originally Posted by Ohmanoggin:
Saying he was right in forgetting about the girl is completely forgetting that he just killed a man to save the boy. He risked his own survival in carrying the heavy medical equipment which slowed him running from the zombies.

I didn't forget, just don't think it's the same.. the boy was alive and had a chance of survival if they got the supplies.. someone was going to do it, and Rick was too weak... the girl had been gone for probably a week and there was no evidence that she was still alive.

12 December 2011
Shane may be going nuts, and he has plenty of faults, but he's the only one with a reasonable view of the walkers. They're not pets, they're not your loved ones anymore, they're not sick, they're dead. They all saw at the CDC that the subject actually died first. Additionally, when Shane shoots the woman zombie that Herschel is holding 4 or more times and she's unaffected....um... again, say what you will about Shane, but that was a pretty telling demonstration. A person with rabies, for example, would not continue standing.

You are not a better person or more in touch with your humanity for keeping them around in a barn and pretending you can cure them at some point - they've already died. If I came back as one of those disgusting things I'd hope my friends would blast me in the head - for their safety and my dignity.

12 December 2011
Originally Posted by Gooner442: I didn't say I would ever want Shane to lead me in similar circumstances, of course Rick is a decent guy and a stronger individual... but speaking from an entertainment view, being sensible is making this show so dull, how about they just all live happily ever after on the farm... this show needs some real bad guys, even the zombies are useless now.. and as I see it Shane hasn't done anything too awful apart from the way he handled that scene in the last episode, the show needs him or I might as well watch the Walton's

Oh, well don't get me wrong, talking entertainment wise you're spot on. Shane (and the hick, forgot his name) are the only two interesting characters in my opinion. And Shane is just getting more and more interesting. If it weren't for him shifting this season I don't think I would have lasted to the midseason finale.

www.MichaelSime.com

12 December 2011
Sure was nice too see those so called badasses, Shane ( i hate him ) and Daryl ( i like him, a lot but..) standing there, with blank faces at the "surprise" and then, Rick...you know the guy everyone says is soft, who was just trying to buy time to make Hershell ( the farmer ) see that the zombies are just that...zombies, in a sensible way, took out the gun and made what none of the "im so dark and edgy" guy couldn't do.

12 December 2011
Originally Posted by Crotalis: Honestly, I REALLY disliked this season. They dragged it out way too much and I felt like after a while, the characters just fell into a rut where they just kept saying the same thing over and over again. It was as though the writers kept getting stuck for transitions, so they just gave every charecter a "go to speech" that they could just copy and paste and that would get them through to the next scene.

Stuck for a way to move from the highway to the farm house? Have old guy give the "I'm sorry I took your gun. Can you forgive me?" speech. Can't move from the farmhouse to the highschool? Have the wife give the "How can we go on like this?" speech.

The last full episode I watched was the episode right before the well walker. I also watched the last 20 minutes or so of the last episode. The "surprise" ending was kind of ok, but honestly, they dragged it out so much and spent so much time making me dislike so many of the characters that I flat out didn't care when the "surprise" happened. Plus, at that point, I think most people had kind of figured that out anyway. I'll probably tune in for an episode or two when it comes back, but if they don't make any adjustments I'll be out for good.

Agreed completely on this, lol

12 December 2011
Quote: this show needs some real bad guys, even the zombies are useless now..

Season 4 (I believe) will have one of the meanest villain ever.

Quote: he's (SHANE) the only one with a reasonable view of the walkers.

They all know how the walkers are lethal but they are in a farm far away of most of them. As Dale said, the barn is secure. The walkers inside can wait few days. As for the continuous search of the little girl, they are not doing anything else at the farm. Better search for the girl than just sit there and enjoy the view. The farm old guy (Herschel) is in denial. His wife and son are in the barn.

I admit Andrea is really annoying in the TV show. In the comic she is quite the opposite.

[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
Now from the farm to the jail, there's not much going on except a few inhabited houses full of zombies and Tyrese coming up. I dont think they can make a full half series on that. If they do, well, it suck. That mean season 3 is going to be only about the murderer in the jail and no Governor. What would be very cool is if they'd do a parallel story about Michonne, to introduce the character before she join the group.

To get the real story, not the AMC view of it, you guys should get the comic. There's none of the series flaws in it.

Last edited by earwax69 : 12 December 2011 at 04:57 AM.

12 December 2011
Originally Posted by Gooner442: I didn't forget, just don't think it's the same.. the boy was alive and had a chance of survival if they got the supplies.. someone was going to do it, and Rick was too weak... the girl had been gone for probably a week and there was no evidence that she was still alive.

Now flip it: The girl gets shot, and the boy gets lost in the woods.

At the school, when the zombies get too close, Shane (the realist) would just drop the medical equipment. Perhaps he stills shoots Otis. However, this time it could only be a selfish act to save his own skin, not for saving a child.

Then he spends the next several weeks looking for the boy, with the same abandonment of survival it would take to look for the little girl.

When the moment of truth comes at the barn, he will still drop to his knees, while Rick shows even more courage and shoots his own son, which he knows had to be done. Infact, I think Rick would prevent anyone else from doing it. He would feel it must be him that pulls the trigger.

By the way, I do agree Shane is a great character and crticial to the show. I guess we just differ on our analysis of him.

Respectfully,
Ohmanoggin

12 December 2011
No I agree, he'd probably do all of that, he loves the kid and possibly the mother, the girl means very little to him.... so does everyone else

..and if the story had gone that way I imagine the hill billy would of played the role of realist

12 December 2011
I understand those that didn't like this season as much. However, once I watched all the episodes I liked this season just as much. At first I was the same- once they got stuck on the highway/ farm I got bored. I wanted the group to move on. Instead of watching every episode on Sunday night like I did last season, I just let the episodes pile up in my recorder.

Finally, my daughter bugged me to go ahead and start watching them again, and I confess I liked the farm episodes. I do agree I couldn't wait for them to move on at first, but now I really feel the season was pretty good.

I sum up what I think lost some of us like this:

1. Standard kid gets lost plot, that seesm to go on an on. Many of us felt empathy for the mother, and just wanted this problem to be over in the same episode. Especially, since she had just gotten rid of her wife-beating husband.

2. The boy gets shot. At this point, your going "havent't they got enough trouble!!"

3. Standard zombie chase at the school. Shane and Otis get cornered for a what appears to be a very predictable cliff hanger setup for the next show.

At this point, I got tired of it all and lost interest. However, after actually watching all the episodes, this stuff was important.

The boy getting shot was not critical, but they needed a vehicle for characters to risk going into a flood of zombies. The school zombie chase wasn't a standard zombie chase after all. This was critical to showing what Shane was (or has become). Otis had just saved Shane who had given up running. He stopped, risking his own life, to yell at Shane to get back up and keep running.

Despite this, Shane then shoots Otis in the leg. Why not the head, so that Otis didn't have to suffer? No, Shane couldn't take the chance that zombies wouldn't take the bait. He knows if Otis is alive and screaming he will draw zombies better. So, he not only killed Otis, he put Otis through a horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible death by being eaten alive. Right after Otis had just risked his own life saved him. That was amazing to watch unfold, and well worth the price of admission in my opinion.

Then finishing the mid season off with the little girl stepping out of the barn. Realizing she had been there for some time. That really closed off this part of season two really well.

P.S. Anyone had the idea that Daryl is destined to betray his big brother Merle?

Just my two cents
Ohmanoggin

12 December 2011
Originally Posted by Gooner442: No I agree, he'd probably do all of that, he loves the kid and possibly the mother, the girl means very little to him.... so does everyone else

..and if the story had gone that way I imagine the hill billy would of played the role of realist

Wow, I can't believe I am in a different ball park with Daryl (the hillbilly) too. At first Daryl seemed like a light version of his big brother. However, over time he has shown many signs of an internal conflict. He actually hates his big brother and really has a big heart. You just have to get through his protective shell.

Remember he grew up with a violent alcoholic father, and Merle never gave him the time of day except to take pleasure in tormenting him. Remember him saying he was lost in the woods as a child too, and no one even cared about him enough to notice he was missing. He had to raise himself and his horrible family is all he ever knew, but he is cut from a different cloth.

Why would a realist bother risking his life looking for the girl, or comforting her mother with the Native American Tears flowers and telling her the legends that would give her some hope?

There are many other signs, but I am postive Daryl has a big heart and would not only risk his life, but sacrifice it to save someone else in the group. Infact, I could see Daryl taking over Rick's role much easier than I could see him become Shane. I am not saying he is not capable of doing horrible things, but it would be because he is following the lead of someone like Shane or his brother, not becaues it is his nature.

Daryl would have never shot Otis. He might have dropped the medical equipement and given up on the child, but up until collapse of civilization, he was never asked to be a hero. All he ever knew were selfish people. Give him time and he would probably make a good leader. He might not as smart as some of the others, but he would be fair and probably has good instincts.

Just my two cents. I could be wrong.
Ohmanoggin

12 December 2011
Although I got bored sometimes for the massive talking at the beginning of the series, this final episode was really good, now everything makes sense.

We should understand than they spend two or three days at the farm, not the weeks that I was expecting. So that's why they are tense all the time.

I hope that they will do a third good season with the prison and long. The prison time is quite long in comic books.

12 December 2011
Actually, whatever happen, Im going to keep watching the show in hope to see this scene!

Thread Closed share thread