THE WALKING DEAD thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2010
Im with you Rob. I watched it last night and was very impressed with every facet of the show. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

11 November 2010
I loved the show too.

BTW

AMC’s ‘The Walking Dead’ Renewed for 13 Episode Season Two
http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/11/0...g-ratings/71238
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

11 November 2010
To offer another perspective...

I thought the first episode was a really poor start. The teaser sequence was the most uninspired introduction to a zombie story imaginable. Following that, they really wasted doing anything to set up or make me care about any of the characters before the zombie outbreak. Some mediocre dialogue and a generic action sequence later, that opportunity was gone. It also definitely doesn't help that the hospital flash-forward device is the exact same one used in what is probably the most iconic zombie movie sequence of the last decade.

From there, I don't know, I just don't think it did anything interesting. I was hugely excited about the potential of a zombie story told in the TV format, but they seemed to squander the opportunity to take their time and focus on the characters and emotion of the scenario. The father/son exposition team was rather cliche, and I don't get why they showed so much of their hand with some pretty big revelations that should mean a lot, but don't because there has been nothing to earn them.

I haven't watched the second episode yet, so I'm hoping it begins to address some of my complaints. Or maybe I'm just wrong. I did like the end sequence of the first episode, so I'm hopeful for where it could go from there.

11 November 2010
The comic also starts a little rough -- actually way rougher than the TV series. But it gets better quick, and just increases the horror more and more and more. It's a zombie movie without end. It just keeps going, which is really the most horrifying part.

I doubt the series will get half as hardcore as the book (here I'm thinking of Michonne and The Governor), but it's off to a good start.

11 November 2010
looks like stargate is doing a lot of the vfx, good job guys!

11 November 2010
Originally Posted by Bonedaddy: I doubt the series will get half as hardcore as the book (here I'm thinking of Michonne and The Governor), but it's off to a good start.

I was actually pretty surprised to see that kind of gore on AMC - Shooting a kid in the head, mutilated bodies, etc. They could be pretty creative in pushing the limits of the content they portray, but at the pace the show is going now, it'll take like 5-6 seasons until they get to the Governor story.

I love the comic's story - enjoyed every issue of it. Episode 1 had some cheese, but I enjoyed it.

11 November 2010
I was worried after the first episode. Seemed kind of cheesy in areas and Rick crying about his kid seemed kinda fake. Also it seemed a bit rushed near the end. was he going to shoot himself or what, then he is suddenly in the tank.

Episode 2 definitely made up of the first episode. The emotions seem more genuine and the flow seems to have slowed down and the story is definitely finding its pace. I will definitely keep watching. Funny thing is I was worried that having read the comic it would spoil the show but some situations you see coming and you know it's going to be bad (rick and wife). Which is one of the things that makes the story so captivating. There aren't many surprises in the traditional, what is going to happen next way, you see every horrifying situation developing before the characters and you get trapped waiting to see what happens when it all comes together.

So I definitely say keep watching. But if you are expecting a zombie rampage eating and guns then you might be disappointed. They are more of a backdrop to the drama of the survivors than the main point of the story. Doesn't mean they won't come through eating everyone, it just means they'll probably show up just when you really forgot about them.

11 November 2010
i've really enjoyed the show so far. the only problem i have with it is his wife! how much time has passed exactly? i hope she dies.

11 November 2010
Originally Posted by TheWraith: i've really enjoyed the show so far. the only problem i have with it is his wife! how much time has passed exactly? i hope she dies.

To be fair the show has implied that she was already having an affair before all went to hell.

And God knows how long he was in the hospital, BEFORE the Zombie Plague.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

11 November 2010
Did not watch the show yet. A bit pissed by the slow pacing of the comic these days thought... if at least they could release it 2 times per month...

11 November 2010
Long term fan of the comic (got issues 1-37 and 70-on).

I loved the show and look forward to it each Sunday night! I can't wait till they introduce Michonne. She is an awesome katana wielding black woman!

-M

11 November 2010
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: To be fair the show has implied that she was already having an affair before all went to hell.

And God knows how long he was in the hospital, BEFORE the Zombie Plague.

Couldn't be too long, he would've starved to death..

-M

11 November 2010
Originally Posted by Charkins: at the pace the show is going now, it'll take like 5-6 seasons until they get to the Governor story.

Well, they are playing fast and loose with the comic. Only seen ep 1, but if that helicopter is the same one that shows up around later in the Woodbury/Governor arc, then who knows what order they'll do things in. I am guessing the general swing of things is:

[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:

Season 1: Get Otis and all them
Season 2: Get to the prison
Season 3: Governor/Woodbury

But who knows!

Last edited by Bonedaddy : 11 November 2010 at 02:58 PM.

11 November 2010
[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
You're doing it wrong.

(spoiler)text here(/spoiler)

Replace orange brackets.

I'm liking the series so far. I think they're actually doing a better job of character development than the books did. At some points in the books I was like, "meh". I think they were definitely hyped more than they deserved. It'll be interesting to see how many find the TV series to be better than the books.

11 November 2010
They also have new characters that might tie into the later arcs. Think of the end of Episode 2, that could lead to something later.

I'm looking forward to Michonne showing up. She has the most bad ass entrance into a zombie story i can think of.

Thread Closed share thread