THE WALKING DEAD thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2012
"...Oh and this past week. MICHONE introduced. Did you see the CG Xombies behind her on chains. That is soo cool!"

Man, I am so with you. Now I am dying for next season to start.

Ohmanoggin

03 March 2012
Anyone have answers to the following:

1. If everyone is already infected with the virus, why doesn’t everyone immediately die, and comeback as a zombie? I know you can be a carrier of a disease and not show any symptoms, but then why would a bite make any difference?

2. According to the CDC episodes. If you get the virus, you get a high fever, die then immediately you lower, more primitive, brain starts back up, giving you some basic mobility. BUT!!! How did Randall (the outsider) walk around with a broken neck? Wouldn’t the nerves to his limbs be severed?

3. What about the baby?????? Perhaps the baby’s blood is the cure? Like in the “Omega Man” (1971).

I love the show, and do not require it to be scientifically plausible, but perhaps the comics or diehard fans have an answers.

Ohmanoggin

03 March 2012
Originally Posted by Ohmanoggin: Anyone have answers to the following:

1. If everyone is already infected with the virus, why doesn’t everyone immediately die, and comeback as a zombie? I know you can be a carrier of a disease and not show any symptoms, but then why would a bite make any difference?

a bite doesn't make a difference (they all thought that was the case at first), unless you maybe die from that bite due to infection, blood loss, or by some other medical means. The virus only takes affect after you already died. So hypothetically, if you get a cold and die, you would still come back as a walker.

03 March 2012
Originally Posted by Ohmanoggin: Anyone have answers to the following:

No.

But I do know that the shows creator once said that he didn't want to get bogged down with the science stuff. The show is primarily about the human aspect. This is more prevalent in the comics, but I imagine the tv show will creep towards introducing the other side of the story.

I'd imagine, like time travel stories, it would get picked apart by folk seeking fine detail. Best left un-said I reckon.

The whole CDC episode does not even exist in the comic book. They have yet to visit any science labs. They were joined by a traveller who claimed to be 'one of the scientists' but lets just say that this didn't quite pan out as expected.

03 March 2012
I think the logic behind the infection is like this. The infection is airborne, or something, everyone has it. There are two stages, the carrier stage in which nothing really happens until you die and the undead stage. If you get bit by the undead you don't turn right away. You die from infection (you were just bit by something that is rotting) then come back as a zombie,

Now whether zombie actually makes any sense, is another question. A question I don't ask because I love zombie movies.

here is a really good article about the feasability of a zombie invasion. Really well thought out.

http://www.cracked.com/article_1868...il-quickly.html

03 March 2012

they did, but you didn't notice until now. A bite from a zombie isn't the same that from an animal or person.

2. According to the CDC episodes. If you get the virus, you get a high fever, die then immediately you lower, more primitive, brain starts back up, giving you some basic mobility. BUT!!! How did Randall (the outsider) walk around with a broken neck? Wouldn’t the nerves to his limbs be severed?

The damage should be in the brain.

3. What about the baby?????? Perhaps the baby’s blood is the cure? Like in the “Omega Man” (1971).

Why bother about a cure. The main focus is human relationship in an post apocalyptic world.

03 March 2012
And like all good zombie movies, the actual zombies are not the real danger, the scary part is the people that aren't zombies...

03 March 2012
Originally Posted by Ballo: 1. If everyone is already infected with the virus, why doesn’t everyone immediately die, and comeback as a zombie? I know you can be a carrier of a disease and not show any symptoms, but then why would a bite make any difference?

they did, but you didn't notice until now. A bite from a zombie isn't the same that from an animal or person.

The damage should be in the brain.

Why bother about a cure. The main focus is human relationship in an post apocalyptic world.

Thanks everyone for you comments to the questions.
On these I have a response.

1. I meant why don't all the characters and other "normal" people already become zombies months ago.

The man with a son that Rick met in the first episode who told him about his wife who was bitten, then died with a high fever and then came back as a zombie. She was infected, they are all infected, so why is anyone left, except people who somehow have managed not to be infected - perhaps on a sub or at the poles away from eveyryone.

2. Not sure what you mean about no. 2. The damage should be in the brain. Do you mean how you kill them? My issue was that if you break someone's neck, you are killing them by severing all the nerves below the neck. Death will be from lack of blood to the brain, but the nerves working your legs would not be intact anymore to move you if you become a zombie.

3. I agree there doens't need to be a cure. I just remember looking at Lori's expression when she heard the news, and just know that is what is on her mind. They obviously will have to address the issue next season. The answer may be that nothing is different about the baby, but they will have to say something....or Lori dies form a zombie baby eating its way out!!!

To others:
I am not so sure about every zombie died from something else. They clearly pointed out people who got realitively minor bites. For example Jim, the nice guy from the first season, who got bit at the quarry and they left on the side of the road to die/turn. His bite was not a mortal wound. They wouldn't have know he was bitten, except for the fever.

Again, I don't need this all to be scientifically possible or even logical. Next season is a long ways off, AND WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING WHILE WE WAIT!!!

03 March 2012
Originally Posted by Ohmanoggin: "...Oh and this past week. MICHONE introduced. Did you see the CG Xombies behind her on chains. That is soo cool!"

Man, I am so with you. Now I am dying for next season to start.

Ohmanoggin

I thought this was the best scene of the finale, I was already on the edge of my seat, but that sceene made me jump right off my couch. The CG in that shot was amazing!

06 June 2012
I though that one of the covers for Walking Dead #100 was pretty effective in a disturbing way. click the spoiler tag to see (because I dont want the mods to delete the image as too gore!!)

[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:

Hehe nothing like undead old ladies to scare the shit out of people. Love the glasses!

By the way, the series is getting more meaty since #96. I cant wait for #99. New ennemies, new characters... pretty good.

Last edited by earwax69 : 06 June 2012 at 03:29 PM.

03 March 2013
Hey, how is/was season 3? I've totally missed it. Kinda lost my interest in season 2 because it was so farm farm farm boring. Is season 3 better?

03 March 2013
^ It's definitely better since they left the farm, but I find myself getting bored some episodes, there's a new baddie in S3 called the Guvnor who for me anyway, is a terrible villain. He's just not an interesting character, he comes across to me as a low rent Liam Neeson impersonator most of time.

Cheers,
Brian

03 March 2013
The governor is pretty bad ass in the comics.

Just checked the actor on google and yes, he dont look like the gov at all. I wonder what the directors are smoking... I'll have to watch for myself though.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by earwax69: Hey, how is/was season 3? I've totally missed it. Kinda lost my interest in season 2 because it was so farm farm farm boring. Is season 3 better?

Okay, here's how I see it:
I've seen every episode. I continue to watch because I HOPE something interesting will happen.

The biggest problem is that I don't give a damn about ANY of the characters anymore. In the first season, I was really rooting for Rick to reconnect with his family and curious as to how they were going to play out the whole 'Lori and Shane' thing once Rick reappeared. Were they going to make it to Atlanta, then out of Atlanta? Would the CDC be standing and operational? Would they find help?

Season 2 was - let's hunker down in this farm. Lori's pregnant (predictable, boring), Shane's dead (unfortunate, but expected forever = boring). Rick and Lori at odds forever (boring - get over it FFS!). Zombies in a barn (boring). Sophie missing, then found Zombied (meh...boring). The only thing interesting in the entire season for me was the birth of Glenn and Maggie's relationship.

Season 3 has been
[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
- Hey! A prison, let's clear it and live here (random endless hallways to clear = boring).
Carl pulling the trigger (cheap attempt at drawing emotion from the viewers and her acting was terrible in that scene... a scene that felt like it went on forever).
The new little addition to the group (annoying... added strictly for manufactured drama). The whole Governor storyline is kinda the same as Hershel's in that he'd been keeping his daughter captive trying to fix her (saw it last season = boring).
T-Dog (wasted character). Meeting the prisoners (boring).
Merle (a ridiculous cartoon of a character).
Daryl and Carol's growing relationship is mildly interesting, since they both seem to be pretty lost souls, but good people. But I'm not really invested enough in their relationship to make IT the reason that I tune in.
Michonne... effective in that world (but a paranoid sourpuss = boring).

The drive toward 'any character can be killed off at any moment' distances the audience in a sense because I have no reason to engage with or invest in characters that might not be there next week. It's basically a show about zombie fodder now. Once the audience sees them as just zombie fodder, why would any of them invest?

In the first season, it was the first thing I'd watch that night on the PVR. Now, it's the one that I leave until the next day if I get too tired.

This is all, just my opinion of course. I totally get that there are rabid fans of the show.

03 March 2013
about those zombies

Why must they insist on the idea that they can only walk? What about running, jumping, climbing, or crawling? It frustrates me whenever I watch this show.

And what's the deal with all the limping? It's not like any kind of physical damage slows them down, that's the whole point of being a zombie, right?

Why are you walking with a limp? Did you sprain your ankle?
Why are you standing all crooked like that? Do you have back pains?
Why are you turning around like a robot? Stiff neck?

If you're show is about zombies, make them as big of a threat as possible! Do what Valve did with 'Left for dead'. Now that's a fucking scary world to live in! All odds are against you and they have an unfair advantage! Add in some psychological and social stress. Mad world.

[/rant]

Thread Closed share thread