Adobe Production Apps Alternatives

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

11 November 2013
As the cool applications emerge, we'll all jump on board...

11 November 2013
Ok guys this is format I am compiling the new list.
I would love to hear your comments, and suggestions to add to the list.

LIGHTROOM ALTERNATIVES:
__________________________________________________ _____________________

Aperture
Aperture gives your photography the professional treatment it deserves, with more sophisticated tools to perfect your images and powerful ways to browse and choose your best shots. And now that Aperture is optimized for the MacBook Pro with Retina display, it’s a whole new way to see everything.Review
http://www.apple.com/aperture/

OSX
$79.00

-------------------

ACDSee Pro
Total photography control, from click to finish
Review
http://www.acdsee.com/en/products/acdsee-pro-7
Windows
$99.00
-------------------

CyberLink's PhotoDirector
Unique and Creative Way to Manage, Adjust and Edit Photos in One Intuitive Application
Review
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/photodirector-ultra/features_en_US.html?&r=1

OSX, Windows
$84.00-$99.99

-------------------
Corel AfterShot Pro
Photo Management Software
Review
http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod4670071&segid=6000006&storeKey=us

OSX, iOS, Windows,Linux
$24.00- $99.99
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 11 November 2013 at 06:27 PM.

11 November 2013
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: Ok guys this is format I am compiling the new list.
I would love to hear your comments, and suggestions to add to the list.

Hey Roberto. IMO it is too unwieldy to maintain an enhanced list in this forum - the posts will continuously get shuffled to back pages as this thread becomes bloated. I've added all of the apps mentioned in this thread (plus a few) to the original post and will continue to do so. IMO the next step in enhancing a list like this would be to make a wiki of some type that would include a basic matrix for each type of app (checklist of basic features and apps) plus a a way for people to click on a given app to open a dedicated page where we can post comments about it.
My 2 cents...

11 November 2013
Adobe Indesign alternatives

First post. Fantastic site by the way. As a recent graduate in graphics design I will be posting here a lot for my professional purposes.

Anyway, this is an interesting thread. I want to comment on some aspects of Adobe Indesign.

Indesign is a fantastic product overall. I will continue using Adobe Indesign CS6 for at least another year. Its tools with master pages are great for complex projects. However, Indesign has one aspect that from my experience, and in my opinion, is so amateurish that it belongs to 1985. That is table creation. To create a table in Indesign such as a menu, cinema list, product brochure, bus timetable or whatever [ and yes I know that you get these online, but the print world will always exists to some extent] is so painful, slow and downright awkward with numerous 1980's style tab button pushes, that I shake my head in disbelief at how bad it still is. I know that it CAN be done. Yes, if you plow through an entire VTC tutorial by Brian White, or Digital Tutors or whatever, but you would have to be a born masochist to want to do this in Indesign. It's so bad that I wouldn't put Indesign's table creation tools any higher than those of Microsoft Word. That's saying something. Because Word is bad at it as well.

So any alternative to Adobe Indesign for creating tables such as menus, usually for a printed product, would be greatly appreciated! Because I have never found one. Please please tell me one. Free is fine. Commercial is fine.

Issue two with Indesign: mobile convergence with print documents. QR codes and other scanned elements will go crazy over the next 2 to 5 years. Your business card will have a scanned element and someone can see your CV, portfolio etc. Especially with IPV6 and the internet of things. Though that gets into a topic for another day.

Anyway, if I hang onto Adobe CS6 I will surely be left behind by mobile convergence. Is there any alternative graphics design layout program that is keeping on top of this? Or even plug ins? Ad no, Adobe CC does not interest me. That Faustian option is not for me.

But the main thing is table creation. Because Indesign sucks at that. A lot.

Last edited by eedocsmithspaceman : 11 November 2013 at 06:50 AM.

11 November 2013
@eedocsmithspaceman.

Currently i'm checking out MultiAd which is also mentioned in the list(see first post).
I don't know how the tables compares to InDesign but you might check it out.
They have a demo at link below.

http://www.multiad.com/products/creatorexpress.shtml

Or you could try out Viva Designer (also in the list).

Jack.

01 January 2014
Hitfilm Express Free until Feb 4

http://community.hitfilm.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-328-get-hitfilm-2-express-for-free

01 January 2014
@eedocsmithspaceman: Back in the day, I used to do print work with QuarkXPress. It was a pretty powerful, no nonsense app. I'm not sure how many printers or publishing guys still use it, but they do seem to be up to v10 now, which was released just a few months ago. Some of the new features such as the QR code creator & epub seem interesting.

01 January 2014
Back in the day, I remember when Quark Express was released. I was working a company that sold desktop publishing systems, so I learned how to use it. Over the course of the following 25 years, I've learned tons of apps. I have no idea what Quark looks like these days, and I have never seen InDesign, but in my experience Quark was one of the rare programs that was very conscientiously and elegantly designed to give the end-user easy access to the full power of the computer to accomplish their tasks. From my perspective, very few programs have achieved this. FWIW, as mentioned previously in this thread, I recently discovered Reaper (a digital audio workstation). This great app has also earned a place in the software hall of fame in my mind

05 May 2014
Netbeans 8

Netbeans 8 is out.
I've found it to be a great IDE for web development. Highly recommend trying it if you haven't. Open source.

05 May 2014
Davinci Resolve 11 is coming out very soon. The free version is hands down my favorite software for editing/color correcting. If you haven't installed this yet you are missing out.

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/ca/.../davinciresolve

05 May 2014
Ok guys keep posting.
I ll update the list tonight

05 May 2014
I found this in another forum

A replacement for Premiere...

Davince Resolve 12 may be a game changer - it's supposed to come out in the upcoming weeks/june. For FCP users this tidbit of info may be of interest:

Resolve’s powerful round tripping can import and conform your sequences using everything from basic EDLs to AAF and Final Cut XML’s. That means DaVinci Resolve is the world’s most compatible post production application.

The amazing thing is that the Lite version is completely free, and allows up to 1080p editing. The new NLE features look very, very interesting.

Do I have to mention the excellent colour grading?

This is going to be great. I have been a long time Premiere user and quit using Adobe products about 119 months ago. Lightworks is also nice, but DaVinci Resolve 11 looks excellent.

Btw, version 10 also includes a NLE.

Oops, forgot linky: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/ca/p...solve/workflow

05 May 2014
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: I found this in another forum

A replacement for Premiere...

Davince Resolve 12 may be a game changer - it's supposed to come out in the upcoming weeks/june. For FCP users this tidbit of info may be of interest:

Resolve’s powerful round tripping can import and conform your sequences using everything from basic EDLs to AAF and Final Cut XML’s. That means DaVinci Resolve is the world’s most compatible post production application.

The amazing thing is that the Lite version is completely free, and allows up to 1080p editing. The new NLE features look very, very interesting.

Do I have to mention the excellent colour grading?

This is going to be great. I have been a long time Premiere user and quit using Adobe products about 119 months ago. Lightworks is also nice, but DaVinci Resolve 11 looks excellent.

Btw, version 10 also includes a NLE.

Oops, forgot linky: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/ca/p...solve/workflow

Yea I use DR daily at work and at home. It is good enough for basic edits right now but the next release will make it an editor on par with FCP and Premiere. The best part is it is extremely simple to learn and use. Someone can get up to speed with it in a day or two tops.

05 May 2014
I am also very much looking forward to the new Resolve Looking to replace Vegas/Premiere for my own projects, as I am not at all happy about the direction of Adobe or Sony(who have ruined the once fine Sonic Foundry products).

Now, the remaining piece of the puzzle in ditching Adobe is After Effects. It still amazes me that there is no real alternative for motion graphics. I do have a license of Hitfilm, but it has a long way to go before it can replace AE for mograph. They have an emphasis on 3d and FX/particles which are superior to AE, but are missing all the bread and butter 2d tools like text animation, shape layers, layer styles, etc. Hopefully Hitfilm3 will be a better proposition.

On a related compositing note, Eyeon are releasing Fusion 7 any day now. Although I am a big fan of Fusion, Eyeyon are a total oddball mystery company that still thinks it is 1995.

@Roberto, you may want to add ButtleOFX to the compositor list. Only for Linux currently and very early days, but it looks promising:

https://buttleofx.wordpress.com/

05 May 2014
Resolve is about to become the most powerful free video editor and finishing app out there (the lite version, of course). Can't wait.
I also own HitFilm, but have been sorely disappointed with it. The video editor is just horrible to work with, and the compositor has, at the current pace the company seems to be developing it, decades to go to get anywhere near productive. I like a lot their foundation (the 3D workspace, the particles, and their filters), but I can use it as a capable compositor. Now that they have divested into creating plugins, I wonder where HF is headed. I guess version 3 (if it does come out) will make me decide wether I sell my copy.
Unfortunately, as you pointed out, there are no real alternatives to AE for motion graphics. Just the amount of plugins available for AE makes it hard to consider anything else. I've been keeping my eyes on Mamba, but for now, I think I'll just keep Composite close and wait.
Adobe can go and sit next to Monsanto in my sympathy bench.

reply share thread