World War Z trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Dillster: I just remembered this thread and wondered why they wait so long to get the film into the cinemas. I mean the announce it months ago and we have to wait until July to see it? Very annoying teasing us like that months in advance.

You do know how teaser trailers work, no? Most are very far in advance depending on how interested in the movie they think people will be.

In the case of this particular movie, production has been a disaster, it stopped for a bit, and then they were doing many reshoots and reworkings of the movie, which may or may not help, based on what else I've seen.

Same thing has happened to some other movies recently, and it's never a good sign.

01 January 2013
Written by Lindelof and Brooks (who lets face it, scored lucky, because he's clearly not a good writer even if I loved WWZ), with a producer, EP and main actor who has never worked with either and has seen money slipping through cracks for a while now...

One wonders how it's possible it's having production problems

01 January 2013
I think Brooks' participation at this point is really just kind of rolling with it because they're making the movie, like it or not, and what's he going to do, badmouth it? Alan Moore can get away with that, but even Stephen King has been on shaky ground doing that, and they're huge, he's not.

As a book adaptation it's a total loss, but whether the current form of the movie can be an okay movie on its own remains to be seen, that is still up for grabs.

P.S. Also the water analogy is actually the most apt for these zombies. It's all somewhere between army ants and fluid, and probably just short of the robots from "Endhiran".

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by hypercube: ........In the case of this particular movie, production has been a disaster, it stopped for a bit, and then they were doing many reshoots and reworkings of the movie, which may or may not help, based on what else I've seen....

Yes I suppose that all adds time to the job.

03 March 2013
Well now that we only have to wait half a lifetime to see the film, I was wondering how they will fix the problems. I mean the scene where the bin truck magically comes out of nowhere and demolishes everything behind Brad Pitts car without making a sound. How can a studio fix a huge blooper like that? Do they re-shoot, or just delete the scene? It seems like a key scene to me and might be missed if they delete it.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Dillster: Well now that we only have to wait half a lifetime to see the film, I was wondering how they will fix the problems. I mean the scene where the bin truck magically comes out of nowhere and demolishes everything behind Brad Pitts car without making a sound. How can a studio fix a huge blooper like that? Do they re-shoot, or just delete the scene? It seems like a key scene to me and might be missed if they delete it.

Most large vehicles in movies come out of nowhere and kill people like that. They only appear on the sound cue. Have you never noticed that in films before?

*Spoilers for a BUNCH of movies

On YouTube: HIT BY A BUS

Embed:

03 March 2013
That's as good an answer as any!

"Hit by a Bus" - just one of the many weapons every director and writer can use!

I say: IT STAYS!

03 March 2013
I only recently saw this trailer. I never heard of the book. It took me a few watchings to figure out it was a zombie movie. I finally thought, "Oh... Z! It's a zombie flick!" I am glad I am not alone in thinking the crowd sims looked too fake. I was really worried that I was becoming one of those jaded CG guys who can never be satisfied. It is such a cool idea and I really want to like this.

This brings me to the question, is it still just so hard to do convincing digital humans? The Matrix reloaded was ten years ago and I think the crowds of Agent Smiths looked a lot better than this. (That could be because they all wore the same suit though) I remember in Kong, people who were not even into CG said that digital doubles looked like "little video game people running around". Shouldn't this tech have improved enough to fool the audience by now, especially considering that we never see one close up.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by hypercube: Most large vehicles in movies come out of nowhere and kill people like that. They only appear on the sound cue. Have you never noticed that in films before?

I know that thanks, and I do love those scenes. But in the WWZ scene the bin truck has to apparently come around a corner then plough through a whole line of countless cars before it even reaches the cop beside Brad Pitt. Yet we don't hear so much as a whisper of carnage, and the bin truck comes at full pelt when in reality it would have slowed down and run out of momentum after hitting a couple of cars, ie half a mile behind Brad Pitt. To me, this was a huge oversight by someone.
I don't know who is supposed to check that stuff when they make movies (continuity man?) but whoever it was deserved a good kicking for such a big error.
The question in my mind is, how do they fix such a mess? It looks like a key scene and on they should be reluctant to delete, so how can it be fixed?

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by hypercube: I think Brooks' participation at this point is really just kind of rolling with it because they're making the movie, like it or not, and what's he going to do, badmouth it? Alan Moore can get away with that, but even Stephen King has been on shaky ground doing that, and they're huge, he's not.

As a book adaptation it's a total loss, but whether the current form of the movie can be an okay movie on its own remains to be seen, that is still up for grabs.

Yup I too am a fan of the book WWZ (and the Zombie guide too).

It is kinda sad really. Its like they went through a *lot* of trouble to make a new variation of a Zombie film-but were too cheap or unimaginative to come up with a clever title for it. So they 'bought' the rights to the trendy book's title of the same name. I am surprised Brooks is in the picture at all!
Money talks i guess.

The film might be interesting on its own. I don't mind what I've seen from the trailer overall. I just wish they'd stretched a bit and called it 'something else'. Probably another good example of Hollywood spending a lot of money for 'something in particular' meanwhile something else suffers.

I wonder which cost more; The fee paid to Brooks to use his book title.
Or the budget allotted for VFX.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Dillster: I know that thanks, and I do love those scenes. But in the WWZ scene the bin truck has to apparently come around a corner then plough through a whole line of countless cars before it even reaches the cop beside Brad Pitt. Yet we don't hear so much as a whisper of carnage, and the bin truck comes at full pelt when in reality it would have slowed down and run out of momentum after hitting a couple of cars, ie half a mile behind Brad Pitt. To me, this was a huge oversight by someone.
I don't know who is supposed to check that stuff when they make movies (continuity man?) but whoever it was deserved a good kicking for such a big error.
The question in my mind is, how do they fix such a mess? It looks like a key scene and on they should be reluctant to delete, so how can it be fixed?

Dylan, you sound a lot like my VFX Technical Director when he complains about how things aren't realistic. But I will answer this the way I know it is sometimes answered on set:

Short answer:
"Don't worry. It will work."

Long answer:
The shot is pre-sold immediately prior to the impact with shots that constrict viewers (ie: don't show the expanse of compressed traffic en masse) and is eased in because Brad Pitt is "curious what's going on" (and therefore so is the viewer). A few odd events already start occurring... They occupy volume onscreen and some stuff moves around... THOSE have the viewers attention. This is regardless of how a few shots earlier they showed a traffic jam... that traffic jam is just the pre-pre-sell (ie: "Seems like Ordinary Life" gag).

Out of sight. Out of mind.

Because of the clever way the film is edited... in the moment... first time... no one is going to feel it... instead they will be "jolted" - like Brad Pitt's character is - when the garbage truck crashes by.

And THAT is the cue for the chaos to start... so the audience literally has "no time to process it".

Some people will roll their eyes at it... but I predict they will be the minority.
Therefore, they will not "fix" it. It's pivotal because the "shock" is required.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Dillster: The question in my mind is, how do they fix such a mess? It looks like a key scene and on they should be reluctant to delete, so how can it be fixed?

Thinking they'd need to fix it, is assuming they might think it was broken in the first place.

This movie was heavily previsualized, and postvisualized, and anything that made it to the shoot AND the trailer and multiple reshoots and edits etc. is definitely the director's intention and not a mistake.

That doesn't mean it's "correct", but it is definitely for the most part what they intended.

Also, take a poll on the street of how many people actually noticed that bit of movie fuckery, and then see if they need to change it or not.

Believe me, that's about the least ridiculous thing in this movie.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Dillster: I just remembered this thread and wondered why they wait so long to get the film into the cinemas. I mean the announce it months ago and we have to wait until July to see it? Very annoying teasing us like that months in advance.

Making all those zombies takes time

Can't wait to see it as I worked on it, only a couple more months to go!

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by circusboy: Yup I too am a fan of the book WWZ (and the Zombie guide too).

It is kinda sad really. Its like they went through a *lot* of trouble to make a new variation of a Zombie film-but were too cheap or unimaginative to come up with a clever title for it. So they 'bought' the rights to the trendy book's title of the same name. I am surprised Brooks is in the picture at all!
Money talks i guess.

The film might be interesting on its own. I don't mind what I've seen from the trailer overall. I just wish they'd stretched a bit and called it 'something else'. Probably another good example of Hollywood spending a lot of money for 'something in particular' meanwhile something else suffers.

I wonder which cost more; The fee paid to Brooks to use his book title.
Or the budget allotted for VFX.

Remembering the Forrest Gump fiasco, I'd say the VFX budget cost more. Book authors are not actually respected, unless you are on the Harry Potter level.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by cobra6: Making all those zombies takes time

Can't wait to see it as I worked on it, only a couple more months to go!

Cobra 6

I didn't know you world on this. Now I know who to blame if its a bad movie.
Just kidding. I'm really looking forward to this one, rolling mountains of zombies is definitely something to see on the big screen.

Thread Closed share thread