Transformers: Age of Extinction

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

02 February 2014
Originally Posted by Pyke: Dammit Bay. I swore I would stop watching Transformers after the second one. And then the third. HOW DO YOU KEEP DOING THIS TO ME???

Ha ha, I resemble that remark!

02 February 2014
Look, every installment after the turd that was Transformers 2 is a damn masterpiece. I've come to expect robots fighting, and if there is anything that kind-of resembles a story, I'm in the theatre. I hope that Mark Wahlberg in there improves upon what Shia did.

02 February 2014
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: Optimus had swords in the first movie already. Two of them, in fact, and used them to decapitate another robot.
Also, it's not like that many of them were actually shot dead with guns in any of the movies... It seems to be more effective to cut each other to pieces.

Besides, the original toy came with an axe. Many other toys had close combat weapons too.
I've always thought of the blades that come out of the wrists, were a redesign of the energon axe that Optimus Prime used in G1. However he only ever used it once in one episode and it was never seen again. I felt these redesigns were understandable but having him swing a claymore around, doesn't look right.

Don't get me wrong I love seeing robots in hand to hand combat and seeing parts fly all over the place. However I still think Optimus Prime should have a bad ass big gun, and the following clip can show you why-

I still can't believe that the animated movie was 1986, it's just timeless and still one of my favourite animated movies.
Originally Posted by redbellpeppers: I believe the bird thing to be Swoop or some other Bayverse version of a Dinobot.
I don't believe that's swoop cause it has 2 heads, I did find a dragon like another autobot with 2 heads called DoubleCross... will have to see.

I came across this photo and couldn't help but post it, here's Michael Bay with a green giant robot hand coming to get you(it's apparently from the new movie too) this should be the storyline for his transformers movies it's just brilliant-

Last edited by Darkherow : 02 February 2014 at 03:10 PM.

02 February 2014
Originally Posted by Pyke: I like how they have almost gone 'lighter' in tone with this film. I originally heard that they were going all Batman Begins on it (dark, serious, 'realistic'), but it seems like they are really embracing the complete insanity of the situation.

This is why I'm more excited for this one. Maybe taking a bit of a cue from Pacific Rim and just having more fun. Bay already said they are getting away from the crude humor and all, so that's a definite plus, but if they just make it a fun Transformers movie it could very well end up being the best one, and I'm a big fan of the first one. Just have a somewhat workable plot, don't try to go all dark on it and should be good.

I showed my brother this and his first reaction was "Why the hell is Optimus RIDING Grimlock?" To which I just said, why WOULDN'T he be riding Grimlock, lol. I think the Dinobots are going to be a blast in this, I just hope they actually have some lines (If Grimlock doesn't say "Me Grimlock.." I might riot).

Also, someone mentioned the two headed flying dinobot, and yea, that's Swoop (or Strafe as I believe he is called now). Kind of a throwback to the two headed TerrorCons from the show.

...geezus I'm a nerd.

02 February 2014
The 1st film 'captured' my attention for 30 minutes, the second film 5 minutes, I didn't even finish the trailer for the 3rd, Mark Walhberg is a good fit, crap actor in a crap film, can't believe anyones excited by this made for children nonsense... and this coming from someone who enjoyed Pacific Rim, the actors at least had some stage presence and didn't have awful dialogue

02 February 2014
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Not quite accurate:

So shocking when I first saw that as a kid.

02 February 2014
Originally Posted by darthviper107: There was some filming in China, perhaps they got some Chinese funding, or a distribution deal there. It's probably a similar case to Iron Man 3 though I don't know if China is getting a different cut or not.

Chinese Movie Channel, and JiaFlix are listed as Co-Producers. So yes. This is pretty much a China movie.

Asides from the notion of "China buying everything", it helps to also note that this is an exploit to gain China Tax Breaks by way of listing a film as "Made in China".

02 February 2014
Thumbs down

The third Transformers movie almost made me pluck my eyeballs out and eat my own tongue. I'm so skipping this one (I know... I'm being judgmental. Don't care).

P.S. I know... totally useless post. Growing the internet one character at at time...

02 February 2014
It looks really cool I think.
I like the designs this time around better. Or perhaps it is the lighting?
Things just seems cleaner on the characters. Like they use bigger clean plates and less crazy detail. Dunno, but it looks great. The faces too!

I know I know, these every one loves to hate them. I really liked the first, the third was good too. This looks very entertaining aswell

02 February 2014
Originally Posted by doffer: It looks really cool I think.
I like the designs this time around better. Or perhaps it is the lighting?
Things just seems cleaner on the characters. Like they use bigger clean plates and less crazy detail. Dunno, but it looks great. The faces too!

Seems like it. Optimus' face for example is much more like a face, like one solid piece, and less like dozens of tiny little parts that resemble a face.

I thought the 2-headed dragon was Hun-Gurrr from the Terrorcons, except with wings. I owned that one as a kid so it stuck out to me. Well I owned Swoop too and seeing as they gave Grimlock horns who knows who it might be.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

02 February 2014
Looks like a decent enough action movie. The chrome bot is a bit over the top for me, but the bot designs work for me. I'll watch it when it hits Amazon Streaming so
I can enjoy cheap popcorn and a six pack (required for any Transformer movie).

Full disclosure: I'm not into the whole Transformers mythos very deeply so the movies don't jar me.

02 February 2014
Originally Posted by Toonman2: The third Transformers movie almost made me pluck my eyeballs out and eat my own tongue. I'm so skipping this one (I know... I'm being judgmental. Don't care).
You're only delaying the inevitable , why because artists are too curious. There's a high probablility that there's going to be a 5th or even a 6th installment, fair enough there isn't any hard fact to it yet, as they are waiting to see if the 4th does well(source wiki). I personally think that the masses will flock to see this, as the 3rd made a lot of money and something over $1 billion at box office. So I think more train wrecks are on their way, and you'll be too curious to resist and wanting to know what happens, losing your togue and eyeball in the process .

However the 5th and 6th installments aren't the scariest rumour, this is enough to send shivers down anyone's spine, and that is the nightmare and disaster of a G.I. Joe and Transformers crossover movie. Quote taken from the wiki page under Future installments-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers_(film_series)

Quote: Paramount Pictures' Rob Moore stated that there have been talks for a fifth and sixth installment, but nothing was set in stone. On March 28, 2013, during the release of G.I. Joe: Retaliation, Producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura announced that he is open to doing a G.I. Joe/Transformers crossover. On July 26, 2013, G.I. Joe: Retaliation director Jon M. Chu stated that he is also interested in directing a crossover film, though Paramount Pictures and Hasbro have not yet decided if a crossover would happen anytime soon.

Last edited by Darkherow : 02 February 2014 at 05:19 PM.

02 February 2014
I'd be totally down for that.
In a way, with NEST it already WAS a GI Joe crossover

02 February 2014
Originally Posted by Darkherow: You're only delaying the inevitable , why because artists are too curious. There's a high probablility that there's going to be a 5th or even a 6th installment, fair enough there isn't any hard fact to it yet, as they are waiting to see if the 4th does well(source wiki). I personally think that the masses will flock to see this, as the 3rd made a lot of money and something over $1 billion at box office. So I think more train wrecks are on their way, and you'll be too curious to resist and wanting to know what happens, losing your togue and eyeball in the process .

Haha. Wouldn't that make an interesting YuTub video...
Seriously, I really don't think I'll see it. Maybe if someone force-chokes me or something. I haven't even seen Pacific Rim.
Visual effects are no longer a good excuse for me to go see a movie. The reason being... all movies have great visual effects today! (Generalizing, but you get the point). I'm more interested in seeing either interesting stories, or at least, funny characters. The transformers franchise has neither (the characters that were supposed to be funny got annoying, actually... okay, some in the first movies were funny). And there were other ingredients that made me totally hate the third film, but I won't go into them because politics are involved .
I appreciate your interest in keeping me in the way of good cinema though . I think I'm just gonna sit here and wait for 300 to come out.

Originally Posted by Darkherow: However the 5th and 6th installments aren't the scariest rumour, this is enough to send shivers down anyone's spine, and that is the nightmare and disaster of a G.I. Joe and Transformers crossover movie. Quote taken from the wiki page under Future installments-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers_(film_series)

Okay, now you're really scaring me.
Funny fact though... when I heard about the Aliens Vs. Predator movie, I wanted to throw myself off a rooftop (which I thankfully did not). Fast forward a few years, and for some reason, I watched it. Surprise... it was not as bad as I thought it would have been. Lesson learned... but I still won't go see TF4!!

02 February 2014
Originally Posted by Toonman2: The third Transformers movie almost made me pluck my eyeballs out and eat my own tongue. I'm so skipping this one (I know... I'm being judgmental. Don't care).

P.S. I know... totally useless post. Growing the internet one character at at time...

Don't worry, you are not the only one. I've skipped all of them

reply share thread