About laser attachment to 3D printer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

3 Weeks Ago
About laser attachment to 3D printer

Hi,

I am thinking to add a laser attachment to my 3D printer.
Did anyone have experience with them?! How difficult is to connect and mount them? Is any special software required?

I saw a lot of cheap units on Ebay (Chinese mostly) but I am not sure about their quality.

Checked Endurance lasers web site and it seems like that guys offer pretty good variations.
Did anyone try them?

Thank you?

--Kate alla Tsuba

2 Weeks Ago
Technically it is not a big problem. The problems start once you use it. Lasers need a good exhaust or filtering system, otherwise you will be breathing carcinogenic (and smelly) smoke.
If you want a 3D printer that can also be used as a laser cutter or engraver you should have it in an airthight enclosure (like all laser cutters have) with a fan exhaust that pushes the air outside of your house. Filtersystems that allow you to use only room air are bulky and expensive.
Personaly i would go for a dedicated laser cuttter, they are not expensive these days and usually offer a much larger working area than any affordable printer.

reply share thread