Whats going on with car models?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

05 May 2018
Whats going on with car models?

I go to turbo squid and all ferrari models are gone bmw models gone. A lot of car models are just being deleted. Some one want to fill me in?

Were are you guys going for car models now?

05 May 2018
Many car manufacturers cracked down on unlicensed digital assets based on their designs. Even if you find models you might be in deep cold water if you use them, especially when you do so commercially.

05 May 2018
That sucks hard as i can not model very well i will have to pay someone to model a car for me. and its going to be expensive,. bastards.

Thanks for letting me know

05 May 2018
Psst. Don't tell them you can still get Maserati models. 
(Both Maserati and Ferrari own by Fiat. But Ferrari are in charge of the division).

Back on topic. Too bad you are so brand specific because there are still quite a few models out there from other brands. 

05 May 2018
I hate Ferrari as a company. But they make some nice looking cars. I was able to pick up the TDF years ago.

05 May 2018
Originally Posted by Srek: Many car manufacturers cracked down on unlicensed digital assets based on their designs. Even if you find models you might be in deep cold water if you use them, especially when you do so commercially.

Using a 3D model of a Ferrari or BMW in an animation should not be any different, legally, than depicting an actual real-world Ferrari or BMW in a film or TV show.

I don't see how you can order a content creator to NOT depict a product - that's all a car is - that already drives around the streets of dozens of countries every day and has pictures and video of it plastered all over the internet and car magazines.

Imagine trying to make a short film about VR, and you can't depict the chair the character sits on - IP by IKEA - the phone he uses - IP by Samsung - or the VR headset he's wearing - IP by HTC.

What's so bloody special about these car manufacturers that they have a say in how their product is depicted in creative content?

05 May 2018
Originally Posted by skeebertus:
What's so bloody special about these car manufacturers that they have a say in how their product is depicted in creative content?
If you can't afford to take them to court and win. They get to. You personally might stay off their radar.
But Turbo Squid can't afford that hassle-its obvious Ferrari know who they are.

My wife used to work on film shoots. If a car is clearly depicted in a film. Believe me - it has special permission to be there. 

05 May 2018
You already have to get permission to use in Film.
Nothing new.

Also paintings,, too.
We had many shots which we had to replace painting because the studio could not get the permission.

05 May 2018
I think it was BMW who took action first against Turbosquid, and TS immediately took all BMW models off their store.

05 May 2018
Originally Posted by skeebertus: Using a 3D model of a Ferrari or BMW in an animation should not be any different, legally, than depicting an actual real-world Ferrari or BMW in a film or TV show.

I don't see how you can order a content creator to NOT depict a product - that's all a car is - that already drives around the streets of dozens of countries every day and has pictures and video of it plastered all over the internet and car magazines.

Imagine trying to make a short film about VR, and you can't depict the chair the character sits on - IP by IKEA - the phone he uses - IP by Samsung - or the VR headset he's wearing - IP by HTC.

it is their brand name and icon, they have rights to it and to sell models on it to make profit is illegal.  supposed you made a model and someone else copied it, sold it on turbo and made profit off your design.  same thing.

05 May 2018
Go to hum3D (used too be known as Humster3D) the largest online resource for car models, with the added bonus of being pro authored as well which is extremely useful so thankfully there's no need to sort through a pile of rubbish trying to find either a game ready asset or hi res copy fit for purpose in whatever format desired.

Last edited by sacboi : 05 May 2018 at 04:37 PM.

05 May 2018
Originally Posted by sacboi: Go to hum3D (used too be known as Humster3D) the largest online resource for car models, with the added bonus of being pro authored as well which is extremely useful so thankfully there's no need to sort through a pile of rubbish trying to find either a game ready asset or hi res copy fit for purpose in whatever format desired.
It doesn't matter if you can buy it or not nor where to buy, you can not use it unless YOU have permission.
Whats the point of buying it?

05 May 2018
i can't wait for the day that the companies that make newspaper boxes and parking meters and door handles get in on this racket. If military contractors can claim ownership of designs paid for by the public, maybe the US mint should crack down on the unlicensed use of the likeness of paper money in TV shows and movies, too. And all of that clothing you see on TV and in movies, surely someone owns those designs also.

06 June 2018
Originally Posted by moogaloonie: i can't wait for the day that the companies that make newspaper boxes and parking meters and door handles get in on this racket. If military contractors can claim ownership of designs paid for by the public, maybe the US mint should crack down on the unlicensed use of the likeness of paper money in TV shows and movies, too. And all of that clothing you see on TV and in movies, surely someone owns those designs also.
There is already market for something-like.
When I was at school, we have a sound library which has StarWars-"like" music and etc.

You can use looks very close alternative. But, that itself is another protected design.

06 June 2018
Originally Posted by gandhics: It doesn't matter if you can buy it or not nor where to buy, you can not use it unless YOU have permission.
Whats the point of buying it?

EDIT: deleted because I made a stupid comment about Hum3D without reading the license agreement properly.

Last edited by masterofacid : 06 June 2018 at 07:31 AM.

reply share thread