Modeling and animating in VR, is this the future for DCC?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

05 May 2018
Modeling and animating in VR, is this the future for DCC?

How do you guys feel about all the innovation that seem to coming down the pipe from VR tools?
But Before we start I want to share some videos to help the conversation:
Sculpting a house with MasterpieceVR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oX_spkhAgk

Animate in Quill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuUUgxsZ9tk

and the result is that even non animators like concept artist Goro Fujita is doing incredible work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE50C3YQHYI

I am looking forward to your comments:
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

05 May 2018
Sorry, I am unfamiliar with the world of VR - is Quill available only for Oculus? What's its Vive or GearVR equivalent, then?

05 May 2018
watching both of those videos gave me a headache. Worked on VR projects, I prefer working with standard monitors and mouse...maybe in the future, with lighter gear, and more innovation it will be more attractive.

There are no "magic" programs that make you a better artist

05 May 2018
VR is in a really bad state. There more I watch these kind of videos the more I realize that we are very far from a working VR solution both for content creators and end consumers.

PS Imagine being sentenced to do forced labor in VR! What a nightmare, just shoot me instead!

Last edited by masterofacid : 05 May 2018 at 04:47 PM.

05 May 2018
Originally Posted by masterofacid: VR is in a really bad state. There more I watch these kind of videos the more I realize that we are very far from a working VR solution both for content creators and end consumers.

PS Imagine being sentenced to do forced labor in VR! What a nightmare, just shoot me instead!
This^
IMHO  it wont matter how powerful or cheap the hardware becomes 
VR will Never become popular outside of the fringe techy population.

The reason is  quite obvious.

With certain broad based consumer technologies there seems to be a "natural" limit of two major platforms that laypeople
and consequently content developers will embrace.

I like to use the  non techy single mother as a metric.
Ask such a woman to name a video game system
you will likely only get Xbox or Playstation as a response.

Ask such a woman to name a smartphone system
and you likely will only get Android or Iphone as response

Now ask her to name  a "VR system" and you will likely get a blank stare.

Do you personally know anyone outside of the American federal goverment, using the blackberry mobile OS??
what about the windows phone??

VR needs to settle on a maximum of  Two major platform Standards
and All of the hardware manufactures and content devs need to choose between those two and  nothing else.

And then create some content that is compelling enough to make regular laypeople want to surrender
their entire field of vision to immerse themselves in the experience.

Until this happens, VR will continue to be seen, by the consumer masses, as the  Mildly interesting yet  
temporary sideshow oddity that it is today.

Last edited by ThreeDDude : 05 May 2018 at 05:55 PM. Reason: spelling

05 May 2018
They made the same mistake as with 3DTVs - not having great VR content in place before the hardware is sold.

1) They put too expensive, and not yet very good VR hardware on the market as quickly as possible.

2) They did not consider that first there have to be at least 5 - 10 really good VR games available immediately at launch.

3) They also - as always happens - did not get together and work on an OpenVR-type VR gear standard, so that one can buy an HTC Vive or Oculus Rigy or any other VR headset, and it just works with any OpenVR  compatible game.

So 3 problems in one - not very good hardware, lack of any good VR games at launch, no open-standard that makes everything compatible.

A 4th problem is that Nvidia and AMD GPUs shot up in price because of crypto-currency mining.

05 May 2018
Originally Posted by ThreeDDude:
And then create some content that is compelling enough to make regular laypeople want to surrender
their entire field of vision to immerse themselves in the experience.

At least you can't blame the Japanese for not trying... https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/10/1...steam-vr-kanojo

05 May 2018
Originally Posted by skeebertus: 3) They also - as always happens - did not get together and work on an OpenVR-type VR gear standard, so that one can buy an HTC Vive or Oculus Rigy or any other VR headset, and it just works with any OpenVR  compatible game.

Maybe WebVR could be the solution to this? This is an old article I had in my bookmarks:

WebVR ships today

05 May 2018
I have no idea where the consumer market is at this point with VR (I mean where it REALLY is - not where people suppose it is), but at my work, we do a lot of visualization work for B to B clients in VR. A lot. The projects tend to be pretty successful too, and we get a lot of repeat business because of it. I think there's a bright future for VR, but, like others have said, it's probably going to catch on in some unexpected areas before it really hits in the consumer space. Plus, from what I've seen, most of the "games" being made for VR, are still built on old paradigms. IE - the developers took the same game they would have made for a PS4 and just made it VR ready. To be really successful, I think games are going to need to be made specifically for VR rather than just being ported to VR.

As for modeling and doing work in VR - I've used the office Oculus to do some stuff in Unreal. It was kind of neat at first, but I think it will be a while before actually working IN VR becomes the norm. At least for me anyway. It's still kind of clunky and lacking in precision.

05 May 2018
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: How do you guys feel about all the innovation that seem to coming down the pipe from VR tools?
>Modeling and animating in VR, is this the future for DCC?
8 hours a day? 40 hours a week?
Until they can make it non-fatiguing  and even 'healthy' somehow it may stay a gimmick at best.

05 May 2018
I think a big distinction you need to make is between "Modeling and Animation" and "Production Modeling and Animation".  Those tools are great, you can model a little house quickly or do some nice stylized animations.  Can you build an entire city with efficient polygon use, clean UV's and export it to a game engine?  Can you import a Revit model and clean it up?  Can you load in mechanical equipment from a CAD application and animate the functionality?  Can you bring in a rigged character and animate over motion capture?

These might be useful concepting tools or enable non-artists to do some cool artwork in, but production artists working every day on this will opt for the powerhouse tools and traditional interface every time.  Just watching him drop out all those roof tiles made me wish for an Array tool already.  So no, it's absolutely not the future of DCC, but a fun tool for hobbyists or niche work anyway.

05 May 2018
There is nothing stopping Max, Maya, C4D, LW and other from providing both VR and 2D GUI 3D creation side-by-side. Just switch between them as and when you like.

You could spend 1 hour in VR for certain things, then go back to 2D monitor, mouse, keyboard and wacom when you want to.

Also VR Data Gloves - which have existed for over 20 years - would make 3D content creation hugely faster.

Your 4 hour ZBrush sculpt may happen in 24 minutes if you can use all 10 fingers to sculpt in 3D.

You can also pull and reposition polygon vertices and edges in true 3D much faster with your fingers than a mouse or wacom tablet allows you to.

So I wouldn't discount VR for content creation.

Also, you may not be wearing VR headsets at all, but rather something like the MagicLeap AR goggles. Very different from those bulky Rifts and Vives.

05 May 2018
Originally Posted by skeebertus: There is nothing stopping Max, Maya, C4D, LW and other from providing both VR and 2D GUI 3D creation side-by-side. Just switch between them as and when you like.

You could spend 1 hour in VR for certain things, then go back to 2D monitor, mouse, keyboard and wacom when you want to.

Also VR Data Gloves - which have existed for over 20 years - would make 3D content creation hugely faster.

Your 4 hour ZBrush sculpt may happen in 24 minutes if you can use all 10 fingers to sculpt in 3D.

You can also pull and reposition polygon vertices and edges in true 3D much faster with your fingers than a mouse or wacom tablet allows you to.

So I wouldn't discount VR for content creation.

Also, you may not be wearing VR headsets at all, but rather something like the MagicLeap AR goggles. Very different from those bulky Rifts and Vives.

Must dissagree completely Mate.
How long have people complained about 
the high price of C4D, for example ,when
the factory versions of it (no 3rd party plugins) 
are far behind Similarly or lessor priced apps
in the critical areas of character animation & VFX.??

What is stopping Maxon
from implementing proven features that already exist in other programs and are proven to be in actual demand?

Nothing.... except the fact that the company is apparently profitable
without investing $$dev time$$ in these features and thus does not assume the value added would increase their market share beyond the loyal Arch vis & Motion graphics users  who gladly pay their MSA fees .

What  human ergonomic value  does wearing sweaty gloves and some bloody ridiculous, vision obscuring, head or face contraption, add to the process of 3D Modeling or Character animation for an eight to ten hour shift??

All of this banging on about how much faster/better everything would be
if the tech world embraced "VR" is just a bit of reductive, wishful thinking,typical of the kinds of prattle we have been hearing
from the  Holography/VR/AR rabble for the last two decades at least.

VR is a great niche tool for training&environmental simluation
in the fields of medical science,Aviation, military & law enforcement.
and even those industries are all likely using proprietary systems as there still does not exist anything remotely
resembling  a uniform standard for content creation or  delivery formats. 

Last edited by ThreeDDude : 05 May 2018 at 08:31 PM.

05 May 2018
Originally Posted by skeebertus: Also VR Data Gloves - which have existed for over 20 years - would make 3D content creation hugely faster.

You do have a talent for making completely outrageous claims. I am sure that any fake news organization would be happy to hire someone with your capabilities of distorting reality.

As a matter of fact, you may be able to do it in 12 minutes if you use your feet too. But this you already know.

05 May 2018
Originally Posted by masterofacid:
As a matter of fact, you may be able to do it in 12 minutes if you use your feet too. But this you already know.
Of course you realize that this is the end of AI for CGI...the dawn of the CGI monkey has arrived!

reply share thread