Looks like that Cintiq tablet Wacom was teasing about is going to be Android.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by Lomax: And here I was almost settled on getting a Surface Pro... That review is really not doing my wallet any favors.

Hmm, really? What I kept hearing throughout the video were comments like "it's not THAT bad" or "this is actually quite decent". For almost twice the price of the competition I expect a bit more than just "decent" and "not THAT bad". Only at the end of the video he praises the tablet, his logic basically being: it's worth the price because other Wacom gadgets are just as expensive and it's a real computer (doh). And he didn't even show it in action - not really. Navigating a bit inside of Zbrush and tracing a few lines/changing colors in a pre-existing drawing inside of Photoshop doesn't count...

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by fuss: For almost twice the price of the competition
I realise I'm repeating myself when it comes to this but what do you consider the current competition to be?

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by AJ: I realise I'm repeating myself when it comes to this but what do you consider the current competition to be?

The Surface Pro, for one.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by fuss: Hmm, really? What I kept hearing throughout the video were comments like "it's not THAT bad" or "this is actually quite decent"...

Funny thing is, the real features that've been drawing me to the Cintiq are the hotkeys and the stylus, mainly for easy viewport manipulation in Maya. I didn't even stop to think that those camera tools are easily accessible without using shortcuts. So I may have talked myself back into the Surface camp.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by fuss: The Surface Pro, for one.
Ok, so taking the (as yet unreleased) Surface Pro 2 as the closest comparison and picking the closest model in that range in terms of hardware specs (i5, 8GB RAM, 512GB HDD) it is $1800 USD vs the Cintiq Companion's $2500 USD. That's $700 USD difference. On the surface of it (oh!) that's no small difference by any means, but let's be realistic, it's not 50% cheaper.

For me the other important thing to take into account is that the Cintiq is designed *specifically* as a graphics tablet for artists & creatives. Yes, the Surface seems to have have similar features but they are not its primary function. The pen has fewer buttons, there are no face buttons on the front, no touch sliders, radial menus, specific application support or drivers. On their own these all might seem trivial and I'm not saying a Surface can't be used as a portable, professional graphics tablet, I'm saying that to do so will involve hurdles that the user will have to jump through all to replicate the functionality that comes with the Cintiq as standard.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by AJ: Ok, so taking the (as yet unreleased) Surface Pro 2 as the closest comparison and picking the closest model in that range in terms of hardware specs (i5, 8GB RAM, 512GB HDD) it is $1800 USD vs the Cintiq Companion's $2500 USD. That's $700 USD difference. On the surface of it (oh!) that's no small difference by any means, but let's be realistic, it's not 50% cheaper.

For me the other important thing to take into account is that the Cintiq is designed *specifically* as a graphics tablet for artists & creatives. Yes, the Surface seems to have have similar features but they are not its primary function. The pen has fewer buttons, there are no face buttons on the front, no touch sliders, radial menus, specific application support or drivers. On their own these all might seem trivial and I'm not saying a Surface can't be used as a portable, professional graphics tablet, I'm saying that to do so will involve hurdles that the user will have to jump through all to replicate the functionality that comes with the Cintiq as standard.

You're right, I was comparing the cheapest models among each other without taking a proper look at the actual specs of the basic Surface Pro 2 models, my bad! Still, it's 700 bucks... For a slightly better CPU, a slightly bigger screen and a couple of side buttons? Well, let us know once you had a chance to take your Companion for a ride...

10 October 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread