Real or Photoshop?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

View Poll Results: Is it real or Photoshop trickery?
100% Real Photo 16 38.10%
Photoshop'ed marvel 16 38.10%
Superpowers ... obviously 8 19.05%
Undecided 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2005
-------->100% Photoshop.<--------

Last edited by vlad74 : 12 December 2005 at 12:18 AM.

12 December 2005
I couldn't vote...

...but I say photoshop and saying it's a marvel is being generous. Photoshop 101 is more like it.
No offense.
I like these threads.

Art

12 December 2005
Originally Posted by vlad74: -------->100% Photoshop.<--------

Just to play devil's advocate, nothing wrong with his sleeve if he had just yanked his hand upwards defensively as he slammed himself against the wall 3 feet in the air, his arm would have pulled up against his sleeve, just like that. His hair would be about there as he came to a stop before he jumped back. I've seen movies where a dancer jumps and kicks against a wall, often higher than that, and they didn't always use cables or photoshop or anything, this isn't exactly an impossible stunt.

Quote: Seems like the light, which looks to be directly above him, would cast a shadow more vertically down the wall; as it is it looks more like there is a more diffuse, "area" light source coming from the middle of the hallway, not directly above him (he should cast a shadow all the way to the floor, if he was actually touching the wall..).

The dominant light is the reflection of the sky through those windows behind him. His shadow would be about like the shadow of the WC sign on the wall, which it is.

BTW, I'm not saying it would be hard to Photoshop by any means, I'm sure many people posting to this thread could do it, just there's no "smoking gun" pointed out, and the lighting and tension in the hands and shadows all look fine for a snapshot. There are a lot of kids who do things like that, they just need Ritalin.

-jeremy

12 December 2005
photoshop

I don't think he would be able to do that while he is facing directly to the camera and have his tongue out, also I really doubt that you can do that with slightly tight jeans

Wires...Wires...Wires...Wires

Last edited by HellBoy : 12 December 2005 at 12:56 AM.

12 December 2005
I say Chopped.

For one thing, IF it was real, how did he do it? If he is in the middle of a jump (which is plausible), that would be one thing... but look how high up he is, there is no way he could have jumped that high - looks like a good 4 feet up - that is just not gonna happen unless he was in the NBA.

If he is balancing on some platform that we can't see, then that might be doable, except that then gravity is pulling on his hair and clothes in the wrong direction.

If this was some big-budget movie we could even guess that maybe he is just croutched on the floor and the camara is tilted 90-degress to make it look like he is on a wall... but this doesn't look like a big-buget movie image.

All that leads me to believe that it is chopped - and a damn good one at that.
Would love to see the original images that were combined to create this pic.

12 December 2005
Photoshop due to what vlad74 posted. Plus the wierd right angled lights.

12 December 2005
I say it's photoshopped because he didn't take his glasses off before jumping...

12 December 2005
Real. I had a friend who would take pictures like this all the time. You keep doing it and snapping pictures until you get one at just the right instant before gravity yanks you back down.

12 December 2005
Originally Posted by mangolass: Have you ever seen a pair of light fixtures at right~angles to eachother, one on the ceiling and the other along the wall, like the two in the upper left of this picture? I've never seen anything like that in real life. At first I thought they were next to each~other, both facing downwards, but then I saw where the lower one continues behind his back, and it clearly is on the wall.

If the lower one is on the wall why doesn't some of it light the cracks between the top row bricks?

That's true, one of the strangest parts of the picture. A weird light fixture doesn't prove a kid can't jump around, but it does look strange.

Allan Spate: if he's your classmate, could you tell us if the lights in your school are like that, or post a photo of the real location?

Thanks,

-jeremy

12 December 2005
I'd say it's real because it's just too perfect.

Regarding the sleeve being in the wrong place, it's possible in real life. The sleeve would trail behind the wrist (like it is in the photo) until the guy stops and starts leaping off the wall, going the other way (where the sleeve would again trail).

And about the weird placement of the light, I don't see why anybody would Photoshop that in if the photo is indeed a fake. I'm suspecting that the vertical "light" is actually a horizontal strip of mirror, which is quite common (it increases the amount of light in the room).

Last edited by MuseSyndrome : 12 December 2005 at 01:29 AM.

12 December 2005
I would say photoshop, impossible to do that without gluey superpowers.

Something that's has been helping him to stay in that position has been photoshopped away. I think i might be that way round. Maybe the second guy was holding a fishing rod etc..

12 December 2005
I'm going to say Photoshop. I don't see how a person could do that and be photographed doing it without a ton of motion blur. Considering I work in visual effects, I've seen the magic that our roto and comp guys can do - this is definitely a piece that can be faked if you're decent enough with your tools.

12 December 2005
This shot is obviously done in maya by ILM employees in disguise testing out their new raytracer.

12 December 2005
Originally Posted by jeremybirn: That's true, one of the strangest parts of the picture. A weird light fixture doesn't prove a kid can't jump around, but it does look strange.

Allan Spate: if he's your classmate, could you tell us if the lights in your school are like that, or post a photo of the real location?

Thanks,

-jeremy

its been a while since I was in school I don't much remember, sorry

don't take my word for it but I think it was only 1 light fixture along the ceiling

12 December 2005
I keep asking myself, is that the sort of pose someone would achieve if they jumped onto a wall?

It somehow looks a little static and as if the pressure of impact is being absorbed the wrong way or by the wrong parts of the body (tension appears to be mostly in arms and hands). I can't see him getting that high by jumping vertically and a running jump or jumping from the other side of the corridor would lead to quite an impact that would mostly be absrorbed by the legs.

It's a nice Spiderman pose, but is it what would really happen?

Thread Closed share thread