Disney's "Frozen" - Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
It looks really good to me. Nice, dynamic shots. Impressive scenery. Should be fun...

-Rich
www.hatchstudios.com
www.richardrosenman.com

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by LuckyBug: Dunno, it seems like step backward after Tangled.

Hmn, I feel the same way a bit.

I loved Tangled in many aspects like tempo, action, payoffs, visuals,
character and set design etc. and how all was fitting together.

For sure, this movie will be good entertainment too and will include lots of
things of what has turned Tangled into a really good movie I guess.

But.. Am I the only one who thinks, that all seen "snowy characters" and their
design dont fit in any way into the rest of a Tangled-Style approved environment
inclusive given character designs of humans and animals!?

For me, Snowman e.g., just feels generally displaced in it's simple design, like
cutted out and filled in again from an old, unknown and pulped (or student) project.

There may have to be a reason to do that I'm not aware of, pls tell me then..

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by Bjur:
For me, Snowman e.g., just feels generally displaced in it's simple design, like
cutted out and filled in again from an old, unknown and pulped (or student) project.

Whats a 'complex' snowman design look like? Me and my six year old want to know. And would it still look like something a child made?!

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by circusboy: Whats a 'complex' snowman design look like? Me and my six year old want to know. And would it still look like something a child made?!

I just think the potato style character desgin of the snowman just dont match the overall visual/style of the movie, thats all..

10 October 2013
I'm gonna make a wild guess and suggest a child made it and then it became enchanted as part of the story. For me that fits fine with the look.

Even if its not explained I wouldn't want a 'snow man' look like one of the Disney princesses for the sake of 'design aesthetic' either.

For me it looks like a snow man. Its good.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz:
I am basing this hypothesis on the fact that the characters from both Tangled and Frozen, look like they belong on the same universe, and hell even the same time period. If I were to make a guess I would say that they look like they belong on 18th century early 19th century.

Don't all of Disney's princesses look they come from the same time period? Snow White, Cinderella, Rapunzel, Aurora, Belle. I think they all pretty much look the same.

I thought Tangled was amazing in every way. Probably one of the best of these types of movies, up there with Toy Story and Pixar's best. From the trailer it does seem like a step backward, but then again, it's only a short trailer.

If you go back and look at Tangled's trailer, after you watch the real film, the trailer doesn't even look like the same movie. It's really bad, there's different shots in it and the whole feel of the movie is completely different.

Last edited by theta2 : 10 October 2013 at 04:50 PM.

10 October 2013
The cliff looked horrible though.

10 October 2013
Knowing how much they go over the design of things, the snowman will have a reason for his design

Last edited by Darrolm : 10 October 2013 at 08:08 AM.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by Lagavulin16: Don't all of Disney's princesses look they come from the same time period? Snow White, Cinderella, Rapunzel, Aurora, Belle. I think they all pretty much look the same.

They're pretty spread out. Beauty and the Beast has firearms in it, for example, while Beauty and the Beast explicitly takes place in the fourteenth century.

10 October 2013
They recently invited press to the studio so articles are starting to go up including this article on MovieViral with 50 facts about the film. It does include a bit about the design of the snowman Olaf.

Quote: 10. In order to keep him from getting too complex, Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee wanted Olaf to have a childlike innocence. Like when a child makes a snowman for the first time where the heads are never perfect, and the body is disproportionate. That was the idea for the directors when they were thinking what kids would think of a snowman.

There are some spoilers from 42 onward.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by Darrolm: They recently invited press to the studio so articles are starting to go up including this article on MovieViral with 50 facts about the film. It does include a bit about the design of the snowman Olaf.

Gah, that was painful to read. I don't expect the general public to understand the intricacies of animation, but a journalist writing an article on the subject really should.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by Meloncov: Gah, that was painful to read. I don't expect the general public to understand the intricacies of animation, but a journalist writing an article on the subject really should.

What was so painful?

It sounded like the standard Marketing fluff to me... somewhat indicative of what goes on with the animated film process.

Some of it though sounded difficult to believe.... amid Rob's assertion that this and Tangled are similar, the article goes to great lengths as if to say that you CANNOT stand the characters together because the level of quality in Tangled is LOWER.

But I'm not sure the differences they talk about can be verified by the human eye!

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Some of it though sounded difficult to believe.... amid Rob's assertion that this and Tangled are similar, the article goes to great lengths as if to say that you CANNOT stand the characters together because the level of quality in Tangled is LOWER.

Which part gave you that impression?

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by Darrolm: Which part gave you that impression?

Stuff like this:

Quote: One of the challenges of Frozen was that the TD department had to populate the entire kingdom with people. In this case, the department ended up building 312 character rigs, 245 cloth rigs, and 63 hair rigs. It’s more rigs the department has build than any of the other Disney films.
To put that into perspective Anna’s character had 420,000 strands of hair; that’s 4.2 times more than a human.
Just in case you care keeping count, in Tangled, Rapunzel had 27,000 strands of hair.

and this:

Quote: To cope with Anna and Elsa’s challenging Scandinavian hair braid style, the TD department built a new software called Tonic, which harks back to the hold barbershop days. Tonic used hair volumes and clumps, which would help build the strands and translate it into the vision. How the hair fell into place or if the character “had a bad hair day” helped the animators get an idea of how hair would work.

Quote: 245 cloth rigs is more than any other Disney film combined, twice over. The cloths in the film were inspired by mid 1800 costumes, gowns, and attire. All of which were very detailed, very intricate, and very layered.

So basically what it amounts to.. eventually would be "OK.. to do the cross over we'd have to re-do Rapunzel all over again.. every character made before Tonic or before Flourish will have to be re-done or there will be mismatch".

Also.. again.. it sounds like Marketing speak... but they do create the impression that it's a never-ending arms race and if you want to cross over assets properly you need to bump up everybody prior to Frozen up to "Frozen Level".. and that's assuming Frozen will be the last film before the major crossover.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Stuff like this:

and this:

So basically what it amounts to.. eventually would be "OK.. to do the cross over we'd have to re-do Rapunzel all over again.. every character made before Tonic or before Flourish will have to be re-done or there will be mismatch".

Also.. again.. it sounds like Marketing speak... but they do create the impression that it's a never-ending arms race and if you want to cross over assets properly you need to bump up everybody prior to Frozen up to "Frozen Level".. and that's assuming Frozen will be the last film before the major crossover.

Sounds like every single article in Cinefex. Which is why i stopped reading it.

"...we developped a new technique called Bullplop which helped us make fairy lights ultra realistic..."

Last edited by thethule : 10 October 2013 at 02:39 PM.

Thread Closed share thread