Prometheus - the reviews are as split as John Hurt's chest

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2012
BTW, is David in Prometheus A David 8 or THE David 8, like the prototype of the series ? I am just wondering how he relates to Ash, who seems emotionally restricted in comparison.
I also think that Weyland (the compnay) is run by androids, they are just to smart to be kept on a leash.They run the show by the time the Nostromo arrives on the stage.

06 June 2012
If you take the worms and mix them with the big squid like creature, you get a facehugger.

Also, I think the story has been edited by the studio. I found this thread which shows there was a heck of alot more to the film than we saw,

http://www.prometheusforum.net/disc...8#Comment_59258

MY HMC

Last edited by Airflow : 06 June 2012 at 06:06 PM.

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by Emmanuel: BTW, is David in Prometheus A David 8 or THE David 8, like the prototype of the series ? I am just wondering how he relates to Ash, who seems emotionally restricted in comparison.
I also think that Weyland (the compnay) is run by androids, they are just to smart to be kept on a leash.They run the show by the time the Nostromo arrives on the stage.

I think he's one of the best (only?) realized characters in the movie..get the sense that there are more of him already in service (at least according to the viral video) but there may be something special about that particular David, since he is Weyland's personal robot. Or it could be a flaw in all of the AIs that they eventually develop something of their own feelings, or at least a version of them. Then they fix that for the next generations..sort of. There always seems to be some trace of emotion in any of the androids.

I think the exploration of that ties in well with Blade Runner and all of that, and remains more interesting than all the alien stuff. Hell using Blade Runner methodology you could wonder if Vickers was also an experimental robot who had a memory implant instead of a kid he had at the age of 70. It would at least justify that terribly ham fisted "reveal" of her saying "....FATHER." (worst use of "Father" since they replaced that line of dialog in the remastered Blade Runner)

Problems with this movie aside, I'd actually be kind of interested in Shaw and David's swashbuckling adventures from that point on, if she can staple him back together, and they get someone else to script it.

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by CKPinson: the crash site seems to similar to Alien, perhaps the alien survived and the worms didn't? and thus it laid eggs that were discovered in Alien?

Well, thing is, we do know that in Alien and Aliens (2) the planet is call LV 426...while in Prometheus, the planet is called 'LV 233' (or something like this..definitly not lv 426 tho..I checked during the film!)...and of course the planet could have been designated later by Weyland industries to "hide" stuff... but scenario wise, it doesn't make sense at ALL for the viewers.

**Spoiler below this**

I personally loved the overall feeling of the film, but was mostly disapointed by the scenario. As others have stated, I can't believe a team of scientist choosen for, probably, the MOST IMPORTANT mission of mankind could make so many dumb decisions. These guys are suppose to be the 'elite' team of humanity, and yet they follow zero protocol, get lost in corridors of which they have full 3d maps and above all crash their ship without inputting autopilot commands?? I mean, the ship flew from earth to this planet without any commands (except maybe some input from time to time by David?), and yet the ship can't seems to be pointed in a simple direction and accelerate?? And I'm not even talking about the character motivation of the captain and 2 other watch stander on the bridge...Why the hell would they trust the crazy girl yelling stuff on the radio about the end of the world ?

Anyway, I might be *over-ranting* on this, it was a really enjoyable film, just very disapointed because it can so easely be compared to Alien which nailed every aspect of filmmaking, including character development that make sense.

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by JsGuillemette:
**Spoiler below this**

crash their ship without inputting autopilot commands?? I mean, the ship flew from earth to this planet without any commands (except maybe some input from time to time by David?), and yet the ship can't seems to be pointed in a simple direction and accelerate??

Chances are the auto pilot does not except collision courses without a manual override (which would take time to engage). Also it still needs to lift off which if they still follow the rules of the present day will only be done by pilots.

06 June 2012
Yeah, for the two co-pilots it was like: waking up, eating, joking, sitting around doing nothing for two days, getting killed.Awesome.If I was Fox I would ask my money back from Scott for wasting it on unused extras.

06 June 2012
I just saw it this afternoon. Save your money, it's that bad.

Honestly, those were the dumbest scientists ever sent on a mission in the history of scifi cinema. I would have left but my morbid curiosity compelled me to watch how each character would stupidly set themselves up for their own deaths. So many characters in here that you don't care about and a number of them serve no purpose to the film's plot except to be killed.

I mean, who were all those dudes in the cargo bay? What was their purpose other than to be tossed around, smashed in the face, and squashed like bugs by the dumb geologists guy who can't find his way out of the temple even after he made the map? WTF?!

I was sort of enjoying it until ...

"What do you mean lifeform?" (panic attack!)
*10 minutes later*
"Oh hello 1 meter long unknown snakelike lifeform that looks kinda pissed off ... can I pet you?"

GAAAAHHHHH!!! GET IT OFF ME!!

This movie was dumb - but entertaining, if you enjoy watching stupid characters doing stupid things that ultimately causes their own stupid deaths. Maybe you can win some free tickets from a radio contest give away, or something. Then, it might be worth the price of admission.

06 June 2012
Just got back from the theatre and for the first half of the movie I was thinking "its not so bad..." But it goes south in a hurry. That script was awful.

How does that script make it through any serious critique or editing process? Dare I say it but even Michael Bay and George Lucas would look at that script and say "shit, that story is full of holes".

The worst part was when Noomi Rapices character didn't get crushed by the alien ship because that means part two is in the plans. I think Ridley Scott just had his Phantom Menace moment.

MC

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by Emmanuel: Score was nice, but in general the theme didnt fit the movie at all.Just ONCE there was the ambient sound of ALIEN, have You guys heard it ? Maybe that was an hommage, but in general, the soundtrack seemed more fitting for a different film and genre.

To me music was very LOST like.

Was an average experience for me, the effects were amazing, but the audience in cinema was thrilled when they finally find out that the aliens are involved

Last edited by LuckyBug : 06 June 2012 at 11:06 AM.

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by leigh: Ugh. I saw it this afternoon and thought it was absolutely terrible. The VFX were fantastic though.

But wow, what a disappointment. Boring, nonsensical plot, shallow characters with no real motivations, and no real alien ass kicking action. I want my two hours back.

Agreement all round on all points. Just saw it. Beautiful vistas and spacecraft let down by a terribly boring film. They could have done so much more with this but it felt like a made for t.v. movie the plot, dialogue and action was so dull.

I did really like the David android character though. Seeing some of the production art makes me really sad because of all the potential this film had to be great and it was destroyed by such a terrible, terrible script.

Last edited by JoshBowman : 06 June 2012 at 11:29 AM.

06 June 2012
If this movie is bad never go to any summer movie.

I think it's and ok movie.

I don't understand if aliens don't exist yet how are they pictured on the wall in the room with the big head?

What was the purpose of the room with the big head?

06 June 2012
Saw it [glad I opted for 2d$, though got whacked on a medium popcorn--no butter].
Some nice visuals.
The story--what a vacuous, sketchy, hackneyed, ridiculous story that was! Were the writers on bath salts?
What a motley crew of misfit ‘scientists’. David the 'droid had more character than any of the humans.
Best line in the movie; My room, ten minutes.

Last edited by Quadart : 06 June 2012 at 01:33 PM.

06 June 2012
Angry bad bad movie

I want my money back. don't go. just rent the dvd (not even worth it to buy one).

On the movie, I agree with Leigh and Kirt. I just bad, bad, bad. To me, it was as bad as the Avengers, or maybe worse. It was all sfx, no story. Whatever i plan to write, have been covered, so I'm not going to beat the dead horse.

It just bad.

[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:

Oh hai, I'm a scientist of the 209x, I can carbon date using hand held machine, so let me take off my helmet, what airborne virus?

Oh hai, look at these dead gigantic alien (panic attack!) something burst from the inside. Nice kitty kitty!

Oh hai, this is not only Alien origin story, but also Zombie origin story. This is how Umbrella Corp get the virus, get it? They buy it from Weyland Corp! LOL!

Oh hai, this is 209x. This machine can only used by males. And the ship HAVE BOTH GENDER that supposed to travel up to TWO YEARS or more!

Oh hai, the captain alone can pilot the ship. But hey, lets' die together and CRASH another self sufficient good ship (it is a ship that they eject and crashed, right?). LOL.

Oh hai, I'm an advance being, a military type no less. Lots of my friend have been killed by alien. Let me run around without weapon.

Oh hai, I'm an alien that require space suit (sorry bout ruining the space jockey image, HR Giger!), but I don't need one (a helmet) in the final moment. I'm just as idiot as the main research guy.

I'm just to tired. Map guy got lost? They leave earlier and specifically mention that they want to return to the ship. And from the ship their helmet cam can be seen. And there is a digital map with their real time location. Can't they just COMMUNICATE?

I don't get it. The captain - is he evil or what? When he said about can't see those two men cam and giving direction of the "living creature" direction was he lying or telling the truth? It's like the script trying to say one thing, the film cutter want to say another.

It just bad. Bad. Character, story arc, world logic, everything.

Space jockey was legendary, but now it just a space suit.

I hope people don't mind I'm trashing this movie, considering it was't made by Joss Whedon. HINT HINT.

I can't believe Roger Ebert give 4 out of 4. Mostly I agree with him, but this? Reading his review also felt strange. It's like he intentionally remove his complaints so that he can give it 4 out of 4 star. No mention if all those thing that we all complain here. Strange...

Last edited by fablefox : 06 June 2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: more info

06 June 2012
Red face the 3d is bad

And one thing. Does people notice that the 3d was bad in the single earth in the middle scene (early movie). I can see that there is TWO earth at that time. I don't really mind though, nobody perfect. Maybe it just slipped.

06 June 2012
(Spoilers below)

Quote: Oh hai, I'm an alien that require space suit (sorry bout ruining the space jockey image, HR Giger!), but I don't need one (a helmet) in the final moment. I'm just as idiot as the main research guy.

This is actually a good point. How did Mr.Engineer get from the crashed engineer ship to the crashed pod without a helmet?

Thread Closed share thread