Prometheus - the reviews are as split as John Hurt's chest

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2012
Just watched

AFTER the mission is launched and JUST before we reach the planet we do the mission briefing? Shouldn't this be sorted out before we take off? There are only 17 people on this ship, and yet we're introducing each other after we come out of cryostasis? And now we're talking to the mission leader and sorting out the dynamics of our relationship?

Part of what made Alien successful was the ship and its crew were totally out of its/their element. But they made BETTER decisions than this crew that was theoretically assembled for this specific purpose.

What is it about seminal filmmakers of the 1970's making prequels that I want to forget?

06 June 2012
Like others, I want to mentioned the subpar score. I found the music invasive and incongruent throughout the film.

There were hints of Donner's Superman films' music in there! It was just a total misstep.

Edit: though at least the didn't use the Lost guy. That dude plays the same music over and over... No matter what the project is.

06 June 2012
Well, I saw this morning and oatz's remark below matches my big question No.1
Originally Posted by oatz: AFTER the mission is launched and JUST before we reach the planet we do the mission briefing? Shouldn't this be sorted out before we take off? There are only 17 people on this ship, and yet we're introducing each other after we come out of cryostasis? And now we're talking to the mission leader and sorting out the dynamics of our relationship?

That was definitely a bizarre start for the movie. It stuck with me for a while as I tried to figure the logic of being billions of miles from home and not knowing who you signed up with - background checks anyone?

I went to see the movie with my expectations real low and I'm lucky I did. It runs at a steady pace with intermittent action but it doesn't pay to ask questions or understand some characters actions or motivations. So turning reasoning down, I was able to enjoy it more. But of course - that can't stop me from thinking about things after the movie ended.

Kind of wondering why Ridley chose to use the Space Jockeys and ship of Alien lore at all. Other than as an attraction to draw people in who loved the 1st Alien movie. Time will tell if he did a disservice to any possible future prequel movie to Alien.

On a last note Charlize Theron was terribly miscast. Like most of the characters, you know what tough or dedicated characters are supposed to be, but not all the dialogue and performances aren't convincing enough.

06 June 2012
I don't think Theron was miscast, I think we're only seeing a small snippet of her character's 'story'. I think 'who' her character is, was a cliched mistake and where/how she ends up in the end was incredibly stupid (and undeserved, I believe). I think they wrote that character in order to have a pretty blonde on board... Which is the mechanics of movie making rather than real storytelling.

Her character was extraneous, but I don't think she did a bad job with what she had to work with. I love the scene where she mauls David's face in utter contempt. She's sincerely hurting, and it's pretty raw at that moment.

She also plays it really well/believable when Halloway returns, IMO.

06 June 2012
I just saw it this morning, and minus a few pretty gaping plot holes and some odd choices the characters made, I really enjoyed it.

I particularly enjoyed the scene where Fifield's glass shield pretty much melted onto his face. Made me cringe!

06 June 2012
Things I've thinking about - decapitated David
I would like to see the simulation of Davids head bouncing off the walls in the alien spacecraft as it crashed, then proceeded to roll along its edges, ultimately came thundering down upright. That's one hard head David has

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by richcz3: Things I've thinking about - decapitated David
I would like to see the simulation of Davids head bouncing off the walls in the alien spacecraft as it crashed, then proceeded to roll along its edges, ultimately came thundering down upright. That's one hard head David has

Haha... Ya, I thought about that too. All of the meat bodies in that room would have been turned to paste after the boom, fall, 2nd fall. There was a serious lack of red paint in that room. But if I wanted realism, this wasn't the movie to find it in.

06 June 2012
Man, I LOVE THIS MOVIE! Aliens done right! don't get me wrong, James Camerons was entertaining but not thrilling in the same way.

Wow, some of you need to learn to lighten up a little and enjoy things.

Last edited by CKPinson : 06 June 2012 at 02:17 AM. Reason: INFO

06 June 2012
Sounds like nobody saw the 1st version of Alien. Everything made sense to me, and I thought it was awesome.

06 June 2012
here is some scans from art book.
http://www.prometheusforum.net/discussion/1646/

can someone please explain me, whats the deal with that flute ? why ?
for me i think movie had too much diseases and viruses.. and damn that tentacle monster is from anime universe not from alien...

06 June 2012
Pretty sure this thread is already spoilerific so I'll just avoid hiding them.

Definitely in two minds about this film. I really loved the visuals, the story was perplexing as it was sold as "not an alien film". As has been pointed out, the music was surprisingly upbeat considering the subject matter. That said, it really was an interesting movie just to experience, and the reverse engineering of Giger's designs was very well done.

I'm actually quite interested to see a sequel actually... especially if it drops every alien chestbursting element and just spends its time in explore/discover/storytelling mode. I know there's a Saw, horror generation that loves all the gore but it's time for more scifi minus the guts, I think. I'm holding on tight for Bladerunner 2 but Prometheus 2 could quite easily not be a horror film.

That said, I really loved the "facehugger". There's an artwork in one of the Ballistic books it reminds me of - with a space pirate frying up a small one and a giant one behind him enveloping his ship. Worth the price of admission alone.

06 June 2012
I really enjoyed the movie and I perfectly understand the diverse opinions regarding it.
It hit me on two levels, the first was simply as a fun rehash of cliches from a famous franchise wonderfully rendered in lush 3D CG and the other as being a movie with a nonsensical plot that made absolutely no sense. Luckily for me the campy cliches won the day and made for an enjoyable 2 hours worth the $13 spent to see it in 3D. The funny part is that the whole thing was a reboot of the entire franchise notwithstanding the director saying it wasn't.a prequel, but unfortunately it is absolutely that....

Lets start with the cliches that made the day:

Lots of screen time for he android that is both sinister, innocent and malevolent all at the same time, with a twist. I really liked that old movie clip homage to the first alien flick.

The brave heroine who over comes all odds and obstacles to survive.

Of course the curious aliens who seem evolved purely for destruction.

But alas, the plot made absolutely no sense:

Spoilers ahead.

Spoilers ahead

You have been warned.
[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:

1. Why on earth would old man Weyland spend so much and go out of his way to hide himself on the ship to only walk right out and let himself get killed? Not so smart, especially since everything about his android David and his "daughter" seem straight out of super elite and super intelligent Aryan central casting. Letting the android do the leg work and be sacrificed to take whatever promising bits of alien life or technology back home for experiments with the crew being equally expendable would have been a more sound approach of course. It would have also followed the same paradigm of Weyland corp from the first flick and provided a nice plausible explanation leading to the events of the original movie.

2. They should have expanded on the theme of the "super race" being the ideology behind Mr Weyland and his search for intelligent life as an advancement for the species and "race". But for whatever reason this theme fell flat not long after it was introduced and was a wasted opportunity for some meaningful character interaction and development.

3. Meredith Vickers was a wasted opportunity. They should have made her relationship to daddy Weyland more clear in terms of her being live or memorex. And of course again the whole superior "race" theme of the corporate elite leading the way for humanity in the universe could have been expanded with her character (human or android).

4. And speaking of androids, the technology in Prometheus is more advanced than that of the original film. The level of technology in the film, including the ability for computers to read the thoughts and dreams of humans made no sense. If human society was that advanced, then why send a human crew to explore this planet? Duh. The whole crew should have been androids. And of course none of this sort of tech existed n the first flick, which meant that the presence of humans made sense and had purposse, whereas they seemed oddly out of place here.

5. And from the point of time continuity and technology, the dreams of Dr. Halloway and the first few segments of the movie did not make sense as it implied a more "primitive" human society that magically advanced to a technological level that would seemingly made dying from ebola only a few years earlier almost unthinkable.

6. There was no sense that this was an alien world full of dangers that needed to be respected by the crew. When they first saw the evidence of "life" on the planet they rushed right out to find it with little or no caution, even leaving "security" at home. Makes no sense. Again why not let the robots do the dirty work?

7. Dr. Halloway should never have been able to leave the infirmary after being cut open and stitched shut and most certainly not able to survive all the falls, hits and jumps that occurred afterwards. That was purely beyond belief.

8. Why play up the idea of an evolving biological agent that doesn't go anywhere? The later Aliens who seemingly come from these creatures didn't have that trait of mutation. Seems to me the Aliens of the later flicks should have simply been one "type" of critter created from this super evolutionary biomass.

9. The idea that the milk white engineers are 100% human in DNA was abolutely nonsensical and scientifically impossible. And why on earth did their heads explode? LOL!

10. The whole explanation of the iconic space jockey creature from the first movie being some sort of space suit was pure silliness, along with these "engineers" having stasis chambers so much like the humans...

11. The proto Egyptian/Babylonian theme of the "engineers" culture and tech was an oddly unexplored storyline. Seeing as they went to find these answers it seems odd none of the scientists acknowledged these "connections" to their species...

Last edited by DotPainter : 06 June 2012 at 10:32 AM.

06 June 2012
I felt, without over thinking it of course, that the plot made perfect sense and could not have been done any better. First I love the idea of leaving some things open/unexplained because that's really closer to how the universe is. ALSO, plot is pretty obvious- like said, planet is basically for them to harvest species for their version of WMDs for Earth, similar to our bomb testing sites. They have intentions of wiping us out but screwed up and lost control of their weapons.

They have no nipples and human DNA which points to deity but perhaps they are still puppets.

the crash site seems to similar to Alien, perhaps the alien survived and the worms didn't? and thus it laid eggs that were discovered in Alien?

The Robot DAVE was only bad because he was programed to follow his master's orders who himself was sinister not to mention he is a robot: hence the conflicted personality traits.

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by CKPinson: I felt, without over thinking it of course, that the plot made perfect sense and could not have been done any better. (snip)

the crash site seems to similar to Alien, perhaps the alien survived and the worms didn't? and thus it laid eggs that were discovered in Alien?

The Robot DAVE was only bad because he was programed to follow his master's orders who himself was sinister not to mention he is a robot: hence the conflicted personality traits.

See, thats the "problem".For a superficially interested viewer it was surely a nice SciFi film, but for those who know a bit more about what they were watching, its a disaster.
First, the robots name is DAVID, not Dave, thats the pilot from 2001.
Second, the planet where this all happens is a different one from the one in ALIEN, spot the problem ? Its all too similiar to NOT be intentionally similiar, which renders the whole thing pretty stupid, OR, which would make sense, as a reboot without saying so.And if its a reboot, its rather not great compared to the original.

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by refract: Sounds like nobody saw the 1st version of Alien. Everything made sense to me, and I thought it was awesome.
I saw the 1s Alien at the movies and was blown away by every aspect of the movie. I left this movie wondering why Ridley made the decisions he did.

Now a day later I'm wondering if all the Alien references were taken out. The Space Jockey (engineers), Chest buster (gut buster), and Horshoe Alien Ship, Andoid Ash (Daivd), and Ripley (Elizabeth Shaw). Would the movie have really stood on its own merits plot wise? Right now, I would have to say no.

If only Ridley had stuck with his original idea of making a prequel to Alien and secured better writers, it most likely would have been awesome. Instead he used the Alien universe assets to prop up a questionable story with many less than memorable characters.

Of the whole bunch, I think the characters David and Elizabeth Shaw are the most memorable, but the familiarity of a menacing android assisting an alien life form to kill the crew is sadly all too familiar. Promethius is not really a story that stands on its own merits because it relies too much on the movie Alien to give it purpose. Throw out the ancient civilizations element and the "meet your maker" and it becomes all too familiar.

Last edited by richcz3 : 06 June 2012 at 03:54 PM.

Thread Closed share thread