Prometheus - the reviews are as split as John Hurt's chest

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: This would be like John Hurts character saying something like "It must be the burrito I ate yesterday" when the chest burster came out of his chest. Absolutely terrible writing.

You sir, win the internetz
www.survivorfilms.co.uk

06 June 2012
@SheepFactory_ As I wrote before, I enjoyed the movie, was not thrilled unfortunately.
But I still believe this movie is not bad.
I was discussing these things you are talking about with my wife and a friend after the movie.
When a guy almost pet's hostile alien eel like creature. It is definitely not something a "normal" person would do in that situation. Personally, I would have run somewhere closer to the exit point, closer to the howling wind with that flying rock debris(or at the farthest point form the tomb within the breathable zone) and squeezed my back towards some wall/rock. Last thing I would probably do is go back to the tomb. But I would most likely never go onto deep space travel not knowing where I'm going to begin with. No matter what the amount of $$ is offered.
There are dozen of examples like that as you pointed out trough out the movie.
I did notice it. At least another 15-25 minutes dedicated exclusively to the character development would be very beneficial for this film.

I know people who say "Lord of the rings" movie trilogy is childish nonsensical bullshit. These people are educated individuals. But I can only feel sorry for them not to be able to enjoy something like lotr. just like they probably feel sorry for me that I'm able to swallow that "crap". it's a funny world wee live in.
I guess in the end, I can agree that the movie has some flat spots that could have been dealt with in a better way but despite all that I managed to enjoy it. I didn't let these things spoil it for me.

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: This would be like John Hurts character saying something like "It must be the burrito I ate yesterday" when the chest burster came out of his chest. Absolutely terrible writing.

That reminds me of this.

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by AegisPrime:
[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
A message is received from another planet. A ship is sent to investigate it. The crew find evidence of an alien culture and lots of strange receptacles. Placing the crew of the ship in jeopardy, an android crew member deliberately exposes them to an alien threat. Crew fight to survive, succumbing one by one until only one female crew member is left. She manages to escape the monster in a ship, her destination and fate unknown.

Which film am I talking about?

... That is my problem with it. Can anyone tell me what the story is?

I was disappointed in the movie. I didn't hate it but some of the horror seemed contrived.
If you decide to see it definitely see it in the theatre. It is visually amazing. 3D wasn't used at all, i forgot i was watching the 3D version by the end.

heavy spoilers follows, only read if you have seen the movie. It's all questions about your take on the story. I'm just wondering if I missed something or if it really was as bad as i thought.
[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:

So my take on the story is that an engineer (rogue?) seeds earth by killing himself and his DNA infects life on earth which gives birth to humanity. Is the stuff causing the rapid evolution of micro-organisms such as those in the engineer's body? Later in the crew member?

The signs seem to mean that they came back while humans were around making cave painting etc, and kept showing up until 2000 years ago when they died off because ??? got loose and started killing them all.

I guess the cliffhanger ending will go into more of this part of the story.

Now the story with the crew is basically Wayland wants to live forever so has ship fly them all out to alien world to meet an engineer and hope he can get his life extended.

The story with the crew seems pretty straight forward so why is the android infecting a crew member? is he just randomly trying anything... that part for me didn't make any sense... Or is David despite all the talk of him having no emotions actually pissed at his creators and looking to teach them a lesson. Someone on another forum noticed that David spiked the drink after Holloway put David down.

The other big thing that seemed ridiculous was the two guys getting lost...one of which controlled the mapping probes and guided them all into that section in the first place.

The whole life cycle thing of the goo is confusing.

prometheus engineer drinks goo and melts into goo, which spreads the DNA into the world.

I assume that the goo "evolve" the worms into the creatures that impregnates the geologist. But the result was the geologist became a crazed killer, super strong like the worms.

David gives goo to Halloway who also begins to "evolve" but is killed before it finishes, and he impregnates his wife. She gets a face(body) hugger evolved sperm?, which impregnates the engineer which gives birth to a chest busting proto-alien.

So would Halloway become like the geologist, it seemed like he was going in that direction. So do they both try to impregnate a female crew member to start the cycle instead of getting a chest busting hugger sperm?

The proto-alien at the end was the weakest thing for me. the human teeth and skin tone just ruined it. It should of at least been the pale white of the engineer it came out of. Instead it seemed like a bettlejuice character. (actually doesn't bettlejuice do that to his face at one point?)

share your thoughts.

06 June 2012
*Spoiler*

Yeah, I think the sloppyness of it all makes me somewhat angry.Ridley Scott is usually know for very well designed and non-bullshit movies, like Kingdom of Heaven, very well researched, plausible, realistic.
And then they show me the most impractical helmets every designed.
They show me a pilot STANDING while the ship enters the atmosphere and everything shakes and rolls.
They show me a *handpicked* crew where no one seems to be professional or caring or even have something to contribute, what were Fifield and co doing, I mean, normally you would send out a prospector team first, to see IF there is something to look at, wouldnt, after two years and hundreds of colonized planets by Weyland, be there protocols on how to proceed when discovering a new planet ? Its surely not gung-ho with the money and people involved.
ALIEN was right, it was a small crew, and they just followed that signal with three people, while the reserve stayed on board.You coudl argue why the captain went, too, but all in all, they seemed more reasonable and were just a dumb freighter crew.
Its small things like these that can (and did) ruin the movie for me in the beginning, because when You go into a Scott Free production, You are accustiomed to certain standards, not something that would fit into Cowboys&Aliens. Wait a minute...!

06 June 2012
There's some definite character problems, and those two are most of them. Especially as a biologist, he should be too busy freaking out to be playing around with supposedly the first live alien anyone has ever seen.

In general a lot of them were too blase about almost everything..oh hey, ancient aliens, oh look, their holograms still work, oh and they were all killed horribly, yeah, whatever, so anyway, let's get our helmets off and screw around, back to my needs.

It felt rushed, even though it was a long movie, it really felt like whole sections were missing or they were skipping over time, everything happened too fast and it seemed like they were just jumping to the next "event" without any time inbetween for buildup. I know for a fact there was some exposition cut out, and I could feel the rest missing.

I didn't think it was a total disaster though, just some issues. I think if anything it was hamstrung by the need to be "an alien movie" rather than just about all the other stuff. There could have been less goop and horror and it might have felt less arbitrary and more frightening when there was violence.

I did hate the score/soundtrack though..the classical stuff was great, but the actual music, seemed like it came in at all the wrong times and was also in a totally different mood than whatever was playing in the scene. I wanted the shrieking and dread from the trailer.

06 June 2012
Score was nice, but in general the theme didnt fit the movie at all.Just ONCE there was the ambient sound of ALIEN, have You guys heard it ? Maybe that was an hommage, but in general, the soundtrack seemed more fitting for a different film and genre.

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by hypercube: I didn't think it was a total disaster though, just some issues. I think if anything it was hamstrung by the need to be "an alien movie" rather than just about all the other stuff. There could have been less goop and horror and it might have felt less arbitrary and more frightening when there was violence.

Respectfully, I disagree - I think if they'd actually taken the time to make it an 'Alien' movie then it would have been immeasurably more successful - I mean, think back to Alien and Aliens (and even Alien3) - how many 'shock' deaths were there in those films? The deaths of most of the characters in Prometheus felt totally contrived - Lindelof's writing comes straight from the B-movie school of screenwriting - nothing means anything - s**t just happens for no real reason.

Honestly, for the longest time, I hated, really hated Alien Resurrection for the damage it did to a franchise that had endless possibilities - I now find myself stunned that Ridley Scott has made the worst film in a franchise he co-created...
www.survivorfilms.co.uk

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by Emmanuel: Score was nice, but in general the theme didnt fit the movie at all.Just ONCE there was the ambient sound of ALIEN, have You guys heard it ? Maybe that was an hommage, but in general, the soundtrack seemed more fitting for a different film and genre.

Exactly its like they dubbed the star trek soundtrack on top of this movie. The music was uplifting when it should have been foreboding.

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: Exactly its like they dubbed the star trek soundtrack on top of this movie. The music was uplifting when it should have been foreboding.

I really noticed it in a couple of the dialog scenes..like where Shaw is talking to Janek about doing whatever it takes etc. I was like, what the hell is going on here?

I think Alien-movie wise, the best entries in the series (1 and 2) have been tightly controlled and in the end very simple plots with very direct throughlines, and every element was sharply done within them, no loose ends, no "fat".

I think this movie had too much to do and pulled itself in opposite directions, and cut out things they should have kept and kept things they could have cut.

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by AegisPrime: Lindelof's writing comes straight from the B-movie school of screenwriting - nothing means anything - s**t just happens for no real reason.

Richard Matheson and John Sayles wrote a few B movies. I think what you are describing is closer to a Z movie.

06 June 2012
I'm still not as down on the movie as some others, but I can't help loving this quote:

"When Kubrick wanted to make a hard science-fiction film, he collaborated with Arthur C. Clarke. Unfortunately, when Scott decided to make a hard science-fiction film, he collaborated with one of the cunts from Lost."

06 June 2012
Plot holes and all, I really liked the movie. Visually amazing and pretty intense moments from time to time.
The squid creature kind of let me down and the engineers not communicating whatsoever was kind of a letdown as well. Pretty advanced civilization for such a brute.

06 June 2012
Just watched, the movie was awesome, the only problem is that the giant human, didn't speak at all, no communication or whatever. The facehugger was so big, the last, isn't that the big queen?

I am looking for the sequel, the story doesn't end here. I really want to know how everything began.

06 June 2012
I took the engineer not speaking as him basically having nothing to say to them. I think his actions spoke pretty clearly. Not dumb, just angry and dismissive.

That actually felt like one of the most reasonable characters in the movie, IMO. At least as far as behaving like you might expect them to, in that situation, and staying true to their character.

Thread Closed share thread