IRON MAN 3 Reviews: An Ironclad Hit That Will Melt Even The Hardest Of Hearts

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Trixter's stuff is particularly amazing, I must admit I haven't heard of them before although their credit list is quite long by now; but here they are and on IM3 they've done shots far more complex than practically anything from IM1! So it's not just medium or small shops, but pretty hard work as well.

Case in point: VFX is getting highly competitive.

05 May 2013
During a VFX review, the VFX supe was calling out the names of different vendors from scene to scene, and yes, it was quite remarkable how well everything inter-cut. There was so much I just assumed was being done by Weta and DD but Trixter and the other house pulled off some amazing work with the Iron Man suits as well. The Extremis effects was great too. Also amazing that so many different vendors handled the effect.

Last edited by CharlesB : 05 May 2013 at 08:23 PM.

05 May 2013
Kinda disappointed by another mad scientist plot.. hoping for a more worldly villain after what happened in the avengers.

05 May 2013
After seeing IRON MAN 3, I'm curious how many more times we can expect to see RDJ, and the rest of the AVENGERS cast, reprise their roles. No doubt, money will be a deciding factor. With RDJ having gotten a much bigger paycheck than the other AVENGERS, things could get a bit ugly. According to DEADLINE HOLLYWOOD, negotiating with MARVEL STUDIOS for more money is like trying to wrest the Cosmic Cube away from Thanos.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/rob...tiations-fight/

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by webhead: After seeing IRON MAN 3, I'm curious how many more times we can expect to see RDJ, and the rest of the AVENGERS cast, reprise their roles. No doubt, money will be a deciding factor. With RDJ having gotten a much bigger paycheck than the other AVENGERS, things could get a bit ugly. According to DEADLINE HOLLYWOOD, negotiating with MARVEL STUDIOS for more money is like trying to wrest the Cosmic Cube away from Thanos.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/rob...tiations-fight/

I think they are playing that up a little more than it really is, he's said he's amiable to doing more, and happy to be in the position he's in, but at the same time he's probably got the best leverage of anyone. How much of Avengers was Iron Man? It's kind of telling when your standalone movie has half the total of the ensemble movie in TWO WEEKS. Pretty much just need him and Hulk and people may not even notice any of the others missing.

This is also definitely not someone they can just pull a Don Cheadle / Darren on.

But, we'll see. I have a feeling the end of IM3 was a kind of insurance policy just in case they had to try and go on without him or diminish his role.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by hypercube: I think they are playing that up a little more than it really is, he's said he's amiable to doing more, and happy to be in the position he's in, but at the same time he's probably got the best leverage of anyone. How much of Avengers was Iron Man? It's kind of telling when your standalone movie has half the total of the ensemble movie in TWO WEEKS. Pretty much just need him and Hulk and people may not even notice any of the others missing.

This is also definitely not someone they can just pull a Don Cheadle / Darren on.

But, we'll see. I have a feeling the end of IM3 was a kind of insurance policy just in case they had to try and go on without him or diminish his role.

I agree about the ending of IM3, if this was the last one I'd be totally fine with that decision.

As for Avengers, I thought Captain America really shined. His leadership and righteous justice never wavered.

My question is, how long can they keep all 'this' going? It has been an insanely fun ride thus far.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by Geta-Ve: My question is, how long can they keep all 'this' going? It has been an insanely fun ride thus far.

I also wonder, but judging by the skill demonstrated in what you would think is an impossible task, it looks like they could keep this up forever.

05 May 2013
I don't really know about all those things.

- Spiderman reboot went just fine.

- Promethius also proves that with enough cgi and named actors, profit can be made.

- so they can add another superhero into the mix while taking out iron man out of it.

- but then again, hulk went through different actors for each movie.

So simple conclusion would be, in order not to make another John Carter, they need to put budget in check, so if to do so means they must scale down on 50 million per movie RDJ and replace him with well liked enough 5 million per movie guy, I think it can be done.

Yes, RDJ is talented, but so it other actors waiting for their chance to make it big.

05 May 2013
saw this yesterday on imax 3d...gotta say, i really hate 3d glasses. migraines after a movie just isn't worth it. i think i liked the movie. the experience not so much. i'll watch it again on bluray.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by fablefox: So simple conclusion would be, in order not to make another John Carter

John Carter made some money for the studio. It was just misinformation that said it loss money.

Current box office takings worldwide
$280 million (gross)

Est. budget
$250 million

Now factor in DVD, bluray and streaming income etc. Probably get another couple of hundred million.

Take out what the studio gets, probably a bit of money there.

Thanks to the media, I guess the studio can mark this as a huge loss (Hollywood accounting) for tax purposes.

Jules

Last edited by Jules123 : 05 May 2013 at 02:56 PM.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by Jules123: John Carter made some money for the studio. It was just misinformation that said it loss money.

Current box office takings worldwide
$280 million (gross)

Est. budget
$250 million

Now factor in DVD, bluray and streaming income etc. Probably get another couple of hundred million.

Take out what the studio gets, probably a bit of money there.

Thanks to the media, I guess the studio can mark this as a huge loss (Hollywood accounting) for tax purposes.

Jules

Rule of thumb was since cinema takes around half of ticket price (actually there are percentages and stages) a movie need twice the budget to break even. Google around for such articles.

Anyway, since Avengers involve a lot of characters, either the actor salary would balloon the
budget up, or they just pull of a reboot.

But I don't think they would do it with Avengers 2. But then again, see what happens to Rhodes character. Remember what the character said in the court scene?

05 May 2013
Didnt like it at all. Kinda boring.

The special effect were nice though.

05 May 2013
Well I liked it and kinda didn't like it.

For starters there was more iron man in the avengers than in this one. Everyone wears a suit more than Tony Stark. If i wanted a home alone version with Tony Stark in it I would not have bothered to pay for tickets. Really? Tony Stark going Rambo?

Second, way to many malfunctions in his suit. I want to see a goddamn kick ass action scene. When he finally came out of the water I was saying, oh boy here it goes, let the action begin and show the Mandarin who Iron Man is. But no, he went into Tennessee, another malfunction. Oh, and he is paranoid the Mandarin might hit his house yet he uses a suit that is not combat ready?

What was up with Pepper portrayed as to not understand Tony? I mean he just fought aliens and took a nuclear missile into a worm hole to hit an alien ship and you accuse him for working to much at defense and stuff? It's his character. If you wanted a 9-5 man go in a bar and meet him.

Why wear an Iron Man suit to a local bar and park it like chopper? Lame.
Why did the suits break into parts like toys?
Why did the extremis guys heat up but not end up naked?
How come every part of the suit has it's own propulsion but when it's all assembled it never has enough energy to fly?
How come Tony is not Iron Man anymore?
Too few Avengers references and explanations.

Overall I think the directors tried to bring too much unnecessary drama to the table, that was surely not needed, and forgot to bring the Stark action that was surely needed. But I did like the Mandarin twist. It was funny. Sorry comic book fans. Though I have to admit I would love to see a real movie with Mandarin as who he supposed to be since magic has a place in this universe with the avengers in it.

Oh, and where was the rock music?

Last edited by Grrrrrrr : 05 May 2013 at 01:59 PM.

05 May 2013
Quote: For starters there was more iron man in the avengers than in this one.

I'm sure that's not the case. Also, Iron Man is not necessarily the man and the suit together, right? After all, IM1 had him suit up like 4 times altogether.

Why wear an Iron Man suit to a local bar and park it like chopper?
Used it instead of a car.

Why did the suits break into parts like toys?
Only two did - the MK42 was probably structurally weaker because it's made up of individual pieces, and the "Bones" suit uses it as a special skill.

Why did the extremis guys heat up but not end up naked?
PG13.
Also don't forget about the extremis gals :P

How come every part of the suit has it's own propulsion but when it's all assembled it never has enough energy to fly?
It also had to support Tony's weight. Also, the energy was there at the first attack, it just required a firmware update.
As for why it had to be recharged, that was silly indeed - it's supposed to have a reactor, not a battery.

How come Tony is not Iron Man anymore?
But he is... he even states it at the end. Okay, blowing up the suits sucked, but we know he'll be in Avengers so he will make new ones. Maybe it's time for a clean slate design?

05 May 2013
Alright, its been a few days so the gee-wiz factor has worn off. The day after I saw this movie I also watched "Planet Hulk" on Netflix. After seeing that I found myself liking that movie more than the big budget Iron Man film I had just seen. In fact, I like it so much I'm going to buy the comic books, and the comic books for the second part, "World War Hulk".

Overall, its still good, just that... it might be their weakest one. Its definitely worth seeing, though I'm not sure how much the 3D glasses added to it. Maybe watch it when it comes out on Bluray.

Thread Closed share thread