Able to draw, born talent or hard work

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by DimeS: Oh wow, those Feng Zhu videos look great.

No doubt, I skimmed over it when Martin posted it. Thanks for the heads up.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by ambient-whisper:
So any videos like the building of the visual library are very important to get across. People need to understand what is important when developing their art skills.

Thx for reminding me, I totally forgot where I first heard that idea from.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by JKrause: Unfortunately, I don't think that this is something I'll ever truly escape. I've been working in art and design for years and still feel that most of my work isn't quite where I want it to be. I'll occasionally surprise myself by making something really cool that I can't stop looking at, though, and it's those moments that make all the pain and misery worthwhile.

That's something that many artists feel. (Plus...this place is filled with so much talent that it can seriously give someone a complex).

09 September 2012
I was always a "good drawer" as a kid...and as I got older I wondered if it was simply because I spent SO much time drawing when I was young. Did I have "talent" or just a lot of practice? Could *anyone* be a decent artist if they spent enough time?

The answer for me came from my kids. My older daughter draws well for her age, and she also spends every free minute drawing. However, she was drawing recognizable figures before age 2. My younger daughter is 2.5 years old, and she can't draw ANYTHING recognizable. She just scribbles.

My conclusion is that there is some kind of innate ability that gives you a head start. If you don't work hard, however, you won't make much of that head start.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by graphacks: I was always a "good drawer" as a kid...and as I got older I wondered if it was simply because I spent SO much time drawing when I was young. Did I have "talent" or just a lot of practice? Could *anyone* be a decent artist if they spent enough time?

The answer for me came from my kids. My older daughter draws well for her age, and she also spends every free minute drawing. However, she was drawing recognizable figures before age 2. My younger daughter is 2.5 years old, and she can't draw ANYTHING recognizable. She just scribbles.

My conclusion is that there is some kind of innate ability that gives you a head start. If you don't work hard, however, you won't make much of that head start.

It's been established by scientific research long ago that "talents" cannot be inherited. What can be inherited from your parents are your physical attributes, diseases, and intelligence. Intelligence is an important component in what people refer to as "talent." Personally, I think the word talent is an archaic and obsolete word that should no longer be used, because we as a society is much better informed today. We understand that talent is really just a number of different factors that add up to "aptitude," and those factors are mainly:

-I.Q.
-E.Q. (Emotional Intelligence)
-Personality (will power, discipline)
-Outside influences (family, school, friends, society)
-Physical attributes (more relevant for physical endeavors like sports, dance, etc)

09 September 2012
I thought this an interesting article. Creative minds 'mimic schizophrenia'
One person's definition of talent may be another's definition of curse.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by graphacks: I was always a "good drawer" as a kid...and as I got older I wondered if it was simply because I spent SO much time drawing when I was young. Did I have "talent" or just a lot of practice? Could *anyone* be a decent artist if they spent enough time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh9a...player_embedded

09 September 2012
Has anyone ever seen that movie Rudy.

He practiced really hard, did all he could to be a football player and he never really made it due to physical limitations. I mean they let him on the field one time and he was in for 3 plays but they never really let him play football.

No matter how hard he tried and practiced he was not good enough due to physical ability. But he is known for his trying hard and practicing hard. But he never really got that good enough to really play on the normal team. So there is obviously always going to be a limit to our own ability.

I think the life example of Rudy proves that there are limits but within those limits if you try maybe you can do something but you may never reach that ability. Singing, drawing, sports, etc.

Now I will say if you have limiations learn to adjust. For example if you can't draw why not develop a unique style. There are many singers who have made it big and could not traditionally sing well but they developed a style and are just as famous as folks who do have the ability to sing. Can you develop a style within your ability? Probably.

Last edited by AangtheAvatar : 09 September 2012 at 04:39 PM.

09 September 2012
For me, the differences are:
- Talented people can teach them self
- Untalented people can't make progress without teaching.

I came to this conclusion, after reading post on which many said that they draw a lot as a kid, and that is why they improved.
Well, I also draw a lot as a kid, but I didn't make any progress at all (or very little). My drawing was mainly orthographic, or completely 2D, and I don't have a clue about perspective, vanishing points, etc... until recently. I didn't have a teacher, but also some of my friends that draw very good didn't had a teacher, but they were making a progress, and at the end, they can draw great, and I am at beginning learning 1 point perspective drawing.

Anyone can draw... only, for some (most) of us, it is impossible without teaching from others.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by AangtheAvatar: No matter how hard he tried and practiced he was not good enough due to physical ability.

But unless something is wrong with your hands or eyes, there is no physical limitation to learn drawing.
I honestly think everyone can learn to draw, it's like any other technical skill. There is theory and techniques anyone can learn like perspective, anatomy, shading, etc.
And your hand and eye coordination will get better over the years.

But then again I'm not sure if "talent" really exists, it's a weird term. I'm not saying everyone can do the same though. Of course your body and brain gives you limitations and advantages, but I don't think there is something like a "draw-gene" or "music-gene" for example.
For me it's all about passion, if you love it, you will do it over and over again and getting better every time you do it. Especially during your childhood, where you just follow your passion and can learn fast.
If you are lucky, your body gives you a good or neutral starting point and you can live your passion every day.
When those two things come together people call someone "talented".

Some people have a passion for things their body isn't so good at, but most people just don't have enough passion to go trough the hard training.
I love sience, especially physics, but I don't have enough passion to learn everything I would need to understand physics. I just get tired or bored at some point.
Drawing, CG and Art in general though ... I never get tired of it. I can do it for hours or days without getting annoyed. I can lifedraw for hours and still be excited to do more, same goes for learning new features in programs or listening to teachers and professionals about this subject. I just feel happy and complete when I do these things.

So, you have to follow your passion, do what you enjoy doing. But there's a difference between "What you want to do" and "What you actually enjoy doing".

All of this is IMHO though and I don't have any scientific evidence to know if it's actually true

09 September 2012
Unhappy voices?

I think I already mentioned 'beauty' as a talent that can be seen... maybe I should add more?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_range
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_type

I think talent is just like luck.

Why Person A born in a happy family?
Why Person b born in abusive/alcoholic family?

Why Person C born blind?
Why Person D born deaf?

I know everyone want to be politically correct, but the story of Rudy is filled with shoulda - coulda.

If he realize of this size limitation and decided to be a businessman, could he have been a Donald Trump level businessman? Or a multi billionaire?

TLDR: Talent is one of those thing that play out how you live your life.

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread