Imaginative Figure Workshop #001: Self Portrait As A Creature

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2009
I'm taking some reference photos of myself right now. Not sure if I should post any, might be considered cheating (I mean, we're meant to merge our looks with that of a creature, not already be merged ). Yeah...I can't stand what I look like. So these reference photos will be interesting...

01 January 2009
Originally Posted by Kaidonni: I'm taking some reference photos of myself right now. Not sure if I should post any, might be considered cheating (I mean, we're meant to merge our looks with that of a creature, not already be merged ). Yeah...I can't stand what I look like. So these reference photos will be interesting...
Oh, posting reference isn't cheating but you don't have to post your reference if you don't like. I figure that the creature aspect of things pretty much precludes anyone directly copying from reference (unless you're Dimitris haha) so pretty much you're good to go!

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

01 January 2009
Thanks. I've nailed it down to either a fox, raccoon, or griffin, although I prefer the raccoon idea myself. Also, trying to take decent photos of myself for reference is kind of hard, lol, gonna have to use a mirror methinks. Or a tripod. Or just a flat surface.

I also bookmarked the sites I gathered reference images from so I can credit them at any point if need be.

Last edited by Kaidonni : 01 January 2009 at 02:41 PM.

01 January 2009
Hi everyone,

I got my preparatory drawing down.

From here, I will add the following features (outlines) from various references:

snake teeth
snake scales
merge my eyes and snake eye characteristics
tongue
merge my lips with scaled ones

all of this is going to result in another line art drawing which will be my next post.

01 January 2009
Talking

Dammit, Dammit, Dammit!! i was gonna post first works first but my photobucket got stuck and stayed lik that for more them half an hour an Mu beat me to it ..well lets move on

so i'v been thinking on it since morning
i begged people to help me out but they hardly listened

so i had to scratch my head myself

after doing some crazy caricatures lik these

i setteld with this

now why:
i prefer solitary,like to work at night,sleep in day,wear turban and sport moustach and beard, hav thin wrists,my friend said im lik coconut: scary from outside soft inside :P
adding turban was the toughest part but i really wanted to do it cause i wanted to how would a wolf-bat tie it nw moving to stage 2

01 January 2009
ohh killermachine. I really like the pose and facial expression of your batman in the last study!

01 January 2009
Hey Mu and killermachine, not bad starts.

killermachine, I'd definitely suggest starting to use reference at this point for the arms, hands, and face. Really study the anatomy of the arm (there's plenty of free ref online), or take a picture of your own arm or have someone do that for you. I think the sketch needs more fluidity and a sense of gesture / motion - right now it seems a little static, so you want to loosen it up a bit. Keep working!

-R

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

01 January 2009
me puts my claim in for a daddymack tortoise bust...

Am I not... Turtley enough for you?

Tuuurtle... Tuu urtle...

*ahem... sorry, shot is from 'master of disguise'

toe2toe

my 3d prints

01 January 2009
Holy smokes, I'm scared of myself, LOL...

I will keep the tongue for later on, because I want to add a fuzzy movement blur on the double tip which I noticed in quite a few reference photos and that is easier to paint than to draw, I guess.

Scaling my face was an amazing experience, because I feel I got a completeley new and deeper understanding of the planes of my face through this exercise!

01 January 2009
DaddyMack, can't wait to see you as a turtle.

Haha, not bad Mu! Only thing that I notice (easy to fix when you start painting) is that the fangs seem a bit off the center facial axis. I'm pretty impressed with how scaly you've become! You know you could probably get away with painting the largest scale and then duplicating it / scaling the size etc. when it comes to the point, and then perhaps painting a bit here and there to affect the overall direction of the light.

I'm wondering if I should turn myself into a gerbil...

Actually, I'm thinking the next Workshop should be, "My Doppelganger is a Gerbil!" ...I digress.

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 01 January 2009 at 09:08 PM.

01 January 2009
OMG, cuteness overload! Do the gerbil! Do it!

About the fang: yes, I think it's the left one, because I started the right one where my canine was, but I couldn't see where the left one was in the ref. I think I will push it a bit more to the left.

The scales. Hmmm. I have no clue how I will go about painting that whole stuff. I think I will deal with larger values first and maybe help the scales by dropping the drawing layer on multiply and really low opacity when I am nearly done.

I must say I am quite happy with the initial line drawing I started out with. Even if I totally screw this up in the two weeks to come I already learned a lot - great that there's OFDWs again.

P.S.:
Do the gerbil!
*struck by a sugar shock*
argh

01 January 2009
Re: Rebeccak

I think there should be a law about posting such cute'n'cuddly material.

Currently working on...HCR #42

01 January 2009
So this is a thread where we can laugh at eachothers mug and not get punished for it

Not a clue for my own piece yet...
WIP1: a few of the scribbles from today.

Great to see the ball starting to roll here!
Keep going Mu! Awesome idea! Perhaps the ears can be!

Can we post more than 4 images that were made for this ws in our own sketchbook?

01 January 2009
Hahaha!

Hey Johan, those are cool, I like the 2nd from the bottom lower right, it looks like it's had the s*** scared right out of him, haha! The thumbs are a good start, would love to see even more!

This thread is a safe cute zone [but more art woo!]

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

01 January 2009
OMG, All done in one night! I havent really got time for two projects but damn I wanted to give it a bash. Okay, here is the reference photo(sorry about the quality) and final sketch respectively...

...I was too wrapped up in the reference that I forgot what this workshop was about! However, I found myself drawn to the highlights, shadows and muscles, and so I decided to let them become the creature aspect of the piece. I was thinking about "yiffing"(Good god, did I just mention the "Y" word? ) myself into a fox but it just didnt seem right somehow. Somehow less seemed to be more in this case...

I have to say I've had a great evening and its always nice to shut down the computer and do something more traditional. I ought to do this more often(Sketching that is, not getting my shirt off!)

Currently working on...HCR #42

Last edited by Boone : 01 January 2009 at 12:42 AM.

Thread Closed share thread