Imaginative Figure Workshop #001: Self Portrait As A Creature

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2009   #16
Ooooh...just getting back into drawing after a lull, and I really like animals, and drawing them at that, so...lol. Torn between nervousness to merge my appearance with that of an animal, and excitement at the prospect. Should I or shouldn't I? Hmmm...

Old 01 January 2009   #17
JAN. 29, 2009

THANKS for the new workshop Rebecca...Great concept for a workshop.
Initial sketch
SELFPORTRAIT AS DRAGON..Not the European version,.. but the ancient Asian version of DRAGON, which represents the SPIRIT and FORCE OF AND BEHIND NATURE
Z Brush 3D sketch.

Old 01 January 2009   #18
OMG Rebecca freaking awesome idea - I'm totally in was going to ask you lately if there were any plans for a workshop!

Old 01 January 2009   #19
man, this would be fun! I've got so many deadlines by Feb 12 though. :( I suppose I can always try and just do my own interpretation when my schedule frees up.

CGNUGGETS - character process training
[/color]

Old 01 January 2009   #20
Great to see the response!
Originally Posted by Boone: Is it allowed to take a photograph of yourself and use that as reference?
Definitely, that's fine with me.

Originally Posted by Sandpiper: man, this would be fun! I've got so many deadlines by Feb 12 though. :( I suppose I can always try and just do my own interpretation when my schedule frees up.
Hey Jesse I am going to try to make these somewhat regular so if you can't join this one there will [hopefully] be others. Would love to see what you can do with this!

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 01 January 2009   #21
woohoo!

CGNUGGETS - character process training
[/color]

Old 01 January 2009   #22
This should be fun. I'll give it a go.

Glenn your portrait is really cool!

Old 01 January 2009   #23
Oh, the nostalgia of doing a workshop with you again!

I am in. Argh. I am scared of my schedule, but I am in, because this matches my self portrait habit I was getting into and also resonates with an experience I made recently.

Originally Posted by Rebecca: I am going to try to make these somewhat regular

Juhuuu! YES!

What's up with the total of 4 WIP images, though? Any reason for this?

I mean, I am sure I'll get all the help I need in addition if I post more stuff in my anatomy thread, but are there any unpleasant experiences with unlimited WIP posting?

Glenn! That cominnation totally hits the nail on the head, as we say in german. Is that an english saying, too?

go everyone!

Old 01 January 2009   #24
from the image i thought 3d was allowed, but it says its a 2d workshop

is it 2d or 3d or doesn't matter ?

Old 01 January 2009   #25
neat idea, rk! i think i may be able to do this as my plate lightens. been a while since i've done any 'self' exploration.
cheers!
d

Old 01 January 2009   #26
Originally Posted by fx81: from the image i thought 3d was allowed, but it says its a 2d workshop

is it 2d or 3d or doesn't matter ?
Feel free to do either. It's mostly geared toward 2D but I think it's great for there to be a mix. It would be great if you entered with a 3D piece!

Originally Posted by redehlert: neat idea, rk! i think i may be able to do this as my plate lightens. been a while since i've done any 'self' exploration.
Do eet Dave!

Originally Posted by Mu: What's up with the total of 4 WIP images, though? Any reason for this?

I mean, I am sure I'll get all the help I need in addition if I post more stuff in my anatomy thread, but are there any unpleasant experiences with unlimited WIP posting?
The reason is that with a large workshop (which I'm hoping this will be) I just really don't want to look at 25 WIP images from the same person. The posting limit ensures that people post their best work (and not just post some tiny incremental step where there is barely any progress, just for the sake of posting) - so the net effect is designed to raise the quality of the work posted to this Workshop.

You can post as many comments as you like, but I just ask that the number of total images posted here be limited to 4. Thanks for understanding!

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 01 January 2009 at 04:37 PM.

Old 01 January 2009   #27
Awesome workshop idea Rebecca! I just may have to partake!

www.nickmcelmury.com

"The best things in life are either illegal, fattening, or take too long to render."

Old 01 January 2009   #28
Thats a really cool idea ill have to set some time aside to do this. This type of stuff always helps propel me to the next level.

Last edited by Dragonassasin : 01 January 2009 at 05:38 PM.

Old 01 January 2009   #29
I'm in.

Starting tomorrow

4 wip images seems nice, like the milestones on a cg challenge.

Oh my... this will be a cool thread

Thanks.

Zupi Portal (eng)
www.drsketchy.com/
SketchySP
eduardo.janiszewski@gmail.com

Old 01 January 2009   #30
OK, here's my approach:
  • I'll turn my self into a snakeself.
  • I just took a reference photo. The lighting is pretty bad, but my flash (which I could have put on a light stand to go for a bit of varied lighting) only syncs with my analogue camera. As I don't have much time, quick equals nice.
  • I will have to kind of model/simulate the lighting. The ref will merely serve as a base for the portrait and resemblance.
  • Mixture balance: roughly 70% human+30% snake
  • snake features:
    • tongue
    • eyes
    • teeth
    • lip structure
    • scales
I will start with the portrait drawing, collect snake reference, add or merge the snake characteristics on a rather developed portrait and refine or unify from there.

Lighting will have to be heavily altered from the ref, but I don't really know wether to do this at the beginning, in the middle or at the end. Maybe towards the end I can play a bit with layers and masks to add a bit of light atmosphere? Don't know. Any suggestions?

colourwise I am thinking of a red/green contrast, maybe a ssssplit complementary, oh...hehe...

Thread Closed share thread