3D Sculpting Workshop - ANIMAL IN REPOSE

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2008
Hi anand...
i'm in....this is gonna b my first..zbrush..work on an animal.......m lil scred bcoz..i nevr tried zbrush..on a full charectr. Thanx alot for this Workshop..

06 June 2008
Hello again folks!

I decided to start my Kirin from the anatomy of a horse instead of a deer, which I'll modify later to be something inbetween. So I got started on the base and here's what I ended up with in its most basic form:

(Edit: I updated the above image with one of the slightly tweaked mesh.)

I made a little wip-image for those shying away from modeling their own base, to show that it's really easy and simple.
Perhaps this can be inspiration for some to go where they haven't gone before:

Also, if there is any interest, I'd be willing to share the above base as an obj with participants of this workshop wanting to tackle a horse, a zebra or anything akin to that.

Be warned though the base is still crude and very basic, in other words its ways off from what I would consider a finished base mesh, but its a good starting point for sculpting I'd say. I still have to make sure its all quads, watertight and doesnt have any rogue verts or non-manifold geo in it. I'll do that next.

So if there's any interest, let me know and I'll upload the obj to Anand for distribution upon request.

Skol!

DimitrisLiatsos: I love the image you uploaded and cant wait to see how you tackle that!
I am such a sucker for big cats! lol

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 06 June 2008 at 08:08 PM.

06 June 2008
I've been meaning to do a cane toad for a while now, so this is a good opportunity to start. This is what I have so far. This is just the ZSpheres, i'll be doing some poly modeling changes to it.

06 June 2008
@pencil-head: Cool start. You really seem to have zSpheres under control. I always had problems where a couple of zSpheres split off of one. Would you mind giving some quick info on how you do this? Thanks and good luck with your toad!

06 June 2008
This sounds like a really good and fun workshop.!! I'm definitely going to join in. This is the first time I am posting on this forum.. And I haven't had that much experience modelling. But i hope its okay anyway. =)

I already know what to do. I'm going to model a schimpanse. So first I'll go about trying to find some good reference.. Then I'll start sketching.. And after that ill post some screens maybe. =)

06 June 2008
Thanks Buexe. That's a common problem with zspheres, especially on hands and feet. I use a plugin called ZSphere tweaks. I use it almost everytime I use zspheres.

06 June 2008
Hi Anand! Hi All!

I really don't know what to do at the moment but I want to be in!

06 June 2008
JUNE 18, 2008
Thanks Anand...I was hopeing that you would say yes..Now I will have a fun journy in this workshop..

I decided on SEA LIONS.
My first thumbnail sketch.
Using the flat plane tool in Z BRUSH, and the clay tubes brush in that program to do the sketching.
From imagination, no reference used..YET.
Glenn

06 June 2008
Another great workshop I am in! When I have time I will start,dunno what animal to choose but will see!

06 June 2008
Wink

Yeap Magdalena. That's inspired by Canova ! not just a statue in some place of the uk

06 June 2008

I have an unfinished stallion from a Modelling Challenge, but it was shelved aside due to work.
Can i use this for the purpose of this workshop?

06 June 2008
Originally Posted by jojo1975: Yeap Magdalena. That's inspired by Canova ! not just a statue in some place of the uk

well it's still in some place in the UK

Anand thanks very much, I'll get on to my doggie as soon as I have a bit of time [which means the weekend LOL]

Last edited by Intervain : 06 June 2008 at 01:35 PM.

06 June 2008
hello

hey everybody..i would love to try this, but i dont know if i have what it takes. i've seen the work submitted by most of the artists here and lol.... and lol.... the truth is that i'm a little scare lol.. but anyways i think i'm just gonna go for it hopefully yo'all help me, i've never done any realistic animals just creatures.. i'll be posting my refences tomorrow.. and if any of you guys and girls have a little extra time please let me know what to change, and how would it look better... thanks ....(sorry for the long post.. its my first time posting too.. i'm like.. i'm like.. a cgtalk virgin lol... sorry dont mean to disrespect lol.) thank you.

06 June 2008
Hi all!

here's my entry
i will post more today yet,i will work on a mountain gorilla

Alex Oliver

TheRazorsEdge-great start!

06 June 2008
WOW!! Thanks for this great response, people!! I am really excited!

Intervain: Thanks a lot for the info, Magda!!

psebesta: Hi Paul! A lizard... oh well, yes, I guess!!

pooby: Hehehe!! Right you are!

Dragons0088: Hi Luke! I think you are right about fur covering up the muscles, unless you intend to sculpt the fur as well, in which case is becomes an altogether different, interesting exercise! But anyways, its your call.. dragon or dinosaur sounds just as fine!! Hmmm, well.. if you are going to animate it, IMO, you should make a base mesh which is also good for animation, which also means that it should be a little denser and more defined than the usual Hyper-lowres cage that is generally used for sculpting.

robinmitra1: Hey Robin! Posting WIPs in this thread is essential. Additionally you can post it in your anatomy thread too.

Blanks: Hi Jamell! "Mind"? Man, the more, the merrier!! ... and we are all here to help you!! Welcome!

DimitrisLiatsos: Hey Dimitris!! Your idea is awesome!! Its gonna be a real sweet picture, I can say!! Dad to be, huh? Congrats, dude!!

Clean3d: Hi Nathan! Cool!! Welcome aboard!

eskandari: Great to have you here, Mehdi !!

Gnomeish: Hey Brian! Great to have you!!

samarcbz: AWWWW... find some time on the weekend, won't you!! It will be awesome if you can contribute!

sabith780: Hey Sabith!! its great that you are joining!! Well, there is a always a first time!

TheRazorsEdge: Hey Felix!! thanks a lot for sharing the screenshots and mesh, man!! It will be useful to many of us, I am sure.

pencil-head: Hey Tristan!! Great start!!

Agostinuke: Hey Agostino!! really glad you came to the party!! I don't know what I am going to do either !!hehe!!

Hey Glenn!! Great start!! It will be interesting to see your relief style in this!!

Nellementz: Hey Nemanja!! Welcome!

jojo1975: Hey Giorgio!! Pardon my ignorance! Didn't mean disrespect, honestly!

sapienz: Hi Max! Great start, dude! Looks like a really good mesh, except for a few triangles below the ear, 5-sided faces around the nose and that 5-star vertex in front of the eye.. I would just make a quick test run in zbrush and try sculpting detail on those areas to see if they work fine.. if they do, then nothing to worry about.

Intervain: haha!! Weekend is fine!!

dagoned: Hi Eric!! Hehehe!! everybody in the world has been a noob at one time or the other, I guess!! This workshop is for one and for all!! .. and of course, you will get all the help you need here!
oliveira: Hey Alex!! Its great to have you here, needless to say!! This is gonna be a riot!!

Last edited by anandpg : 06 June 2008 at 05:05 PM.

Thread Closed share thread