3D Sculpting Workshop - ANIMAL IN REPOSE

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2008   #16
Wink You read my mind

I wanted to work on animal anatomy, PG can read peoples mind! Will put my best efforts for this workshop.

Old 06 June 2008   #17
Got a few questions for you. Please excuse me if they have been answered in another way, but this would be my first workshop participation here and I'd like to get it right.

Is there a certain workflow we should adhere to, ie "model, rig/pose, sculpt & detail" or "model, sculpt, rig/pose & detail" or what ever?

Can we do animals that are extinct and/or supposedly not real, ie a Sabretooth or a Pegasus as long as they have "real" anatomy and are displayed in some sort of repose?

Cheers!

PS: You've got my mind busy with this already, which is a good sign I'll temporarily abandon another project for the time being. lol

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 06 June 2008 at 01:31 PM.

Old 06 June 2008   #18
Great!!! Thanks for making this Workshop everybody! Since the Hands Workshop I have been already sitting in my small chamber and exploring animal anatomy. I currently live in Oxford, UK and there is this absolutely astonishing Natural History Museum:
http://www.oum.ox.ac.uk/
It is verys inspiring and has tons of skeletons from Elephants to polar bears.
Anyway, my two daughters are absolutely horse crazy, so I spend quite some time now near horses. So I started sketching some and began modelling and sculpting a horse. So I don`t know if it is against etiquette to post something here that I started earlier, but I thought it can`t hurt, so here it is:
Modelling in Maya
Sculpting in ZBrush
Rendering in Renderman for Maya
It is not finished yet, I just started rigging it, so I can pose and animate it.
C&C welcome! Thanks

Old 06 June 2008   #19
I'm in

My reference pose :

http://www.wildlife-pictures-online...s/hyenakp06.jpg

and my cage model (I started it some time ago)

Last edited by AUMAKUA : 06 June 2008 at 09:00 AM.

Old 06 June 2008   #20
Great workshop, I don't know If I have time, but I'm in!!

Old 06 June 2008   #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by matte3d
Great workshop, I don't know If I have time, but I'm in!!

Me too !!!

i really hope i'll got the time to work on this one.
Can't wait to see what are you guys and galls doing for this one !
Cheers to everybody!

Old 06 June 2008   #22
This is great, if only I had some spare time. I’ll see if I can pull an hour or two together, here and there, so I can participate. I do think the base mesh should be created by the artist as well for the project or uses one they created previously, IMO. Using a downloaded base mesh (depending on how detailed and accurate it is) can take the very important proportioning aspect out of the loop. A lot of artists get animal structural proportions wrong due to not working on real animals much. It would be like tracing a painting and concentrating only on the rendering (finishing work). But then I guess it might be said that using orthographic views of the animal in viewport backgrounds to align the base mesh is a kind of tracing, so why not use someone else’s base mesh? I still say in a learning or practicing workshop everything should be done by the artist.
—Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Quadart : 06 June 2008 at 08:18 PM.

Old 06 June 2008   #23
Thanks for hosting this.

I'm going to do a camel - seems to be plenty of ref for it and they make for good character (they also seem to always sit symmetrically, which is nice ).

Looks like there are some good animal pics at Animal Photos (free for non-commercial use).

Last edited by Ordibble-Plop : 06 June 2008 at 11:04 AM.

Old 06 June 2008   #24
Well I don't really have time for a full scale model but I did start my Diogenes project and have modelled a dog lying down to go with it, it's only a raw unsculpted basemesh for now so If I will be permitted to tackle that one that'd be grand [have to do it either way ...]

Have fun all and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what comes out of this workshop

Old 06 June 2008   #25
THis workshop will be aewsome but unfortunately I'll be gone in 2 days. going back home to Jamaica for six weeks after graduation tomorrow. withough a laptop it will be hard to even try to participate. however I'll if I can get my hands on some clay while I'm down there I'm definately in.

Old 06 June 2008   #26

Last edited by iatriki : 06 June 2008 at 12:31 PM.

Old 06 June 2008   #27
great workshop and theme

i'm in for sure

Mohammad.Modarres

Old 06 June 2008   #28
A very rough pose proxy for mom and cubs..

Old 06 June 2008   #29
Just got this information from iatriki ..

The University of Wisconsin has the full Atlas of animal anatomy for artists by Ellenberger
http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/We...E&numrecs=12%7F

I think it will be an awesome aid for this workshop!

Old 06 June 2008   #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by iatriki

Wow, very good stuff! Thanks for the link!

Thread Closed share thread