3D Sculpting Workshop - ANIMAL IN REPOSE

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2008   #1
3D Sculpting Workshop - ANIMAL IN REPOSE

June 20, 2008 - July 20, 2008

Welcome to the Anatomy Forum's 3D sculpting workshop!

This workshop is open to any 3D scultping medium and style. Some informal moderation will be provided by AnandPG. However, the purpose of the workshop is for every participant to interact with and informally critique other artistsí work.

The goal of the workshop is to complete a finished piece within a month! You can either copy a photograph/painting/sculpture or do an original.

Please post your references both here to the Workshop thread and to the Reference thread above!
GUIDELINES:

1. Sculpt an animal/creature according to the theme of the workshop - ANIMAL IN REPOSE! It doesn't have to be actually sleeping: it can be just taking rest, contemplating the sun, sharing a playful moment with the kiddies or just standing there chewing the cud! You can choose any photograph/painting/sculpture for reference. You may use downloaded images, but please check and abide by individual sites' agreements regarding copyright, credits etc.

2. You can use a ready made/downloaded base mesh but the sculpting work has to be done entirely during this workshop - no previously started sculpts will be allowed! Should you use another artist's base mesh, please give credit.

3. If you need base-mesh for a particular animal that you are not able to find or model by yourself, you may post a request on this thread, and it will be attended to on a first-come-first-served basis.

4. You may create a part or a whole sculpt. The idea is to give it your best and
try to create as accomplished a piece as possible. Consider the time restraints - you have only 1 month!

5. You may use any style and interpretation you want - as long as it does adhere to the theme of the workshop and is tasteful, respectful and for the purpose of study of animal anatomy.

6. You may use any 3D sculpting software you have access to

7. The moderators will be offering occasional comments but the main focus of the workshop is for the artists to critique each other's efforts So post your WIPs and be courteous and polite while answering to other people's posts.

8. Please, limit the size of your images to 800px in
width.

9. You are welcome to post your work in your personal anatomy sketchbook as well as this thread.

WELCOME, EVERYBODY!! HAPPY SCULPTING!

Last edited by Rebeccak : 06 June 2008 at 04:01 PM.

Old 06 June 2008   #2
Wow - this should be a good challenge!

I'll get cracking on finding a good reference this instant!

Release the hounds!!!
My Anatomy Thread

Old 06 June 2008   #3
Sounds like a great theme, and should be a great workshop..count me in.
THANKS Anand/Rebecca.
A really good book that I bought recently, and will come in handy for this workshop is...HOW TO DRAW ANIMALS by JACK HAMM..Very inexpensive, got mine on the internet....Just thought I would mention it, in case anybody was interested..
Glenn

Old 06 June 2008   #4
Thanks so much Anand for agreeing to run this Workshop. I can't wait to see what people will produce under your guidance.

As always, WIP (Work in Progress) images are encouraged, as well as explanation of techniques used by individual participants. However, please do not post excessive WIP images - show only your best stages, and only a few stages per model. Good luck to everyone!

EDIT:
Please post your references both here to the Workshop thread and to the Reference thread above!You can see examples of work done for previous 3D Workshops from the Anatomy Forum here:

SPOTLIGHT: BEST of 3d Sculpting Workshop - MOTION
SPOTLIGHT: BEST of 3d Sculpting Workshop - Old Age

To be notified of future Workshops, subscribe here:

Notification of New Open Figure Drawing Workshops / + TUTORIALS

EDIT:

I know Anand is going to be mortified, but I thought I should mention that his models are now available on Gnomonology. Click here or the image for the link:

Sorry for the interruption, but I'm happy for Anand!

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 06 June 2008 at 04:25 PM.

Old 06 June 2008   #5
WOW! Sculpting workshop.. AnandPG, you always give us surprises!
If i don't take part in this sculpting workshop then i will never be able to forgive myself..

i am in...

SKETCH THREAD

Old 06 June 2008   #6
WOOWW GREAT ... I`ll join very soon Thanks

Old 06 June 2008   #7
too good! will get a crack at it

Old 06 June 2008   #8
Hey gilgamesh! thanks and welcome!!

Hey Glenn!! Its great to have you!! ..I have that Jack Hamm book.. its a good one!

Hey Rebecca!! Thanks for the links!

Originally Posted by namnocilis: If i don't take part in this sculpting workshop then i will never be able to forgive myself..

Forgive yourself?? HAHAHA!! buddy, you've got more than that to worry about!!.. because if you don't start posting pretty soon, you're gonna hear from me!! .. hehe!

Hey Iman!! Welcome!!

Hey Kiran!!.. welcome, man!!

Last edited by anandpg : 06 June 2008 at 06:54 AM.

Old 06 June 2008   #9
I want to make a "Three-toed"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-toed_sloth

Old 06 June 2008   #10
ooh!! A 3toed sloth!! cool!!

Old 06 June 2008   #11
Note: I am not providing official reference images for this workshop, but will post links whenever I find good reference.. Also, I request participants(and even non-participants) to post links to anything useful they find.

Happy Sculpting!!

Old 06 June 2008   #12

Lion pics link

p.s ; ..i am in by the way...

Old 06 June 2008   #13
Hey Dimitris!! Welcome!! Man, I am so excited that you are joining!!
Thanks for the link!

Old 06 June 2008   #14
Thumbs up hi Anand!

gr8 workshop i like it no i love it. i m in.

And here are some link for animal reference from san diego zoo and from some other sites

http://www.pbase.com/day1953
http://www.pbase.com/day1953/wild_animal_park
http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/P...ils/default.cfm
http://www.wildlife-photo.org/catalog/animalsimages/
http://animal.discovery.com/guides/atoz/atoz.html

Last edited by heikrujam : 06 June 2008 at 07:43 AM.

Old 06 June 2008   #15
This sounds really great! I just love sculpting animals, but I rarely get to put time aside to accomodate it.

I'll see if I can squeeze some out of my current schedule for this, even if it means putting some other personal projects on hold. They would not be the first. lol

Cheers!

Thread Closed share thread