Open Figure Drawing Workshop - NEW BARGUE - 022

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2008   #16
Two questions:
1) In the case I think some spots of one of the renders should look different, am I free to make some minor changes? (of course that would be my humble opinion about the art, all images are top notch!)

2) Can I work in pencil only? Would that be considered unfinished? I ask this because the "draw and paint" item in the rules.

I'm a 3d guy mostly, but I have learned to draw way before I started with 3D. Still, I got stuck with pencils, never got any further. So I wouldnt be able to paint and it would really great to finally participate in one of this threads.

Old 01 January 2008   #17
Originally Posted by LikuidSnake: Two questions:
1) In the case I think some spots of one of the renders should look different, am I free to make some minor changes? (of course that would be my humble opinion about the art, all images are top notch!)

Yep, feel free to take liberties, I am using the term "Bargue" here pretty liberally. Mainly I'm just interested in seeing artists who participate use the 3D render reference for great lighting and form ref, and the rest is up to you. For beginners (that's not necessarily you), I think it's best to stick as close to the reference as is possible. Obviously the goal if you are interested in really learning how to render is to most closely match the ref without tracing, color sampling, etc. I myself don't plan to try to match pore for pore, but just try painting from several different images to see how close that I can get. I may end up doing a bunch of unfinished studies in addition to hopefully some more polished work.

2) Can I work in pencil only? Would that be considered unfinished? I ask this because the "draw and paint" item in the rules.

Yep, this Workshop is open to both digital and traditional work.

I'm a 3d guy mostly, but I have learned to draw way before I started with 3D. Still, I got stuck with pencils, never got any further. So I wouldnt be able to paint and it would really great to finally participate in one of this threads.

I think that's great, we've had traditional work in previous Workshops and I really don't mind at all. I think whatever helps you to better see / observe is relevant to CG, so pencil draw away to your heart's content, and post your work here.

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 01 January 2008 at 10:38 PM.

Old 01 January 2008   #18
Wow, it's been a while since we've had a 2D one (or I've just been missing them). Good timing, as I'm about to start working on some plates a friend let me scan. The renders provided look great, and I'll happily try one or two. I'll be posting both here and on CA.org.

Old 01 January 2008   #19
This is a great exercise and I can't wait to see the results that come out of this! I will be watching this thread closely.

Old 01 January 2008   #20
Pameljoel, welcome!

Originally Posted by Asatira: Wow, it's been a while since we've had a 2D one (or I've just been missing them). Good timing, as I'm about to start working on some plates a friend let me scan. The renders provided look great, and I'll happily try one or two. I'll be posting both here and on CA.org.

Good to have you aboard! I've not run a free Workshop in a year, and so am stoked to see what will happen with this one.

dansgarbage, great, hope that you will participate!

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 01 January 2008   #21
Wow! this is fantastic!
After an extremely time-poor year - I'm definitely going
to give this one a go

thanks
and cheers all!
a.

Old 01 January 2008   #22
Holy badass-ness!!!

Damn, so many awesome renders to choose from... I'm gonna have to take my time on this one.

Old 01 January 2008   #23
Looks like a lot fun (and learning). I'm in.

My Website :: My Sketchbook Thread :: EON Trailer Challenge

Old 01 January 2008   #24
Talking

new OFWD.......im in im in im in...and will surely finish this one yay

Old 01 January 2008   #25
Here's my first sketch. The dimensions I'm working with are 8x11 inches. Because I'm doing this in traditional medium, I opted for a grid system to get my general proportions down. Comparing the overlay of my original sketch with the 3D render, there are some obvious proportional issues but overall I'd say its pretty close. I'll go back and fix the sketch to correct those issues before I begin shading. Not sure what medium I'm going to use yet but I may do it in graphite or charcoal.

Old 01 January 2008   #26
Schweet! Congrats on being the first to post chimp! I've got some catching up to do.

Great to see everyone on board, hope to get the OFDW regulars back for the new one!

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 01 January 2008   #27
Man! this is coooool!!! I've been looking for an excuse to practise painter!! I am starting today, by gad!!!

Old 01 January 2008   #28
super start Joel

Old 01 January 2008   #29
Originally Posted by MechaHateChimp:

Haha, the best smily ever!

Great start Joel.

Those 3d models are just insane...
I'm in... I think.

Old 01 January 2008   #30
Mecha! This looks very promising - you got the gesture and pose energy down!

I am considering doing the kentaur in pen and ink, btw...

Thread Closed share thread