In association with
THE MALE ÉCORCHÉ
The purpose of this fortnight’s event is to create an anatomically accurate ÉCORCHÉ figure in either 2D or 3D. This is to be done from the free reference provided by Andrew Cawrse of Freedom-Of-Teach (www.freedom-of-teach.com) or an alternative academic source if you have one available. The purpose of this is to gain a greater depth of awareness in human anatomy, which will greatly help you in future events on this workshop, as well as in everyday fine art figure/fantasy drawing and design.
Écorché figures have been created by artists for hundreds of years, and initially took the place of real cadavers in Medical schools because of the stigma surrounding the dissection of corpses. Therefore any mistakes made by the artist directly affected all doctors the sculpture or drawings were given to. Great Master’s such as Leonardo Da Vinci literally made hundreds of anatomical écorché drawings to understand why the figure’s surface looks the way it does and how it moves. Now is your chance to follow in the Great Master’s footsteps and have a go too!
You can draw/ 3D model in the poses provided, or if you are up for a serious challenge you can pose your character too! (I have provided photos from the V&A in London, of their 2 posed écorché - for ideas if you want to go down this route.)
You are not to “design” anything this time round, the “design” is already done and provided at the foot of this post. This is a strictly academic fortnight, so we can all improve our human anatomy knowledge with the amazing resource provided.
CHARACTER-A-FORTNIGHT EVENT (CAFÉ)
If you are thinking of taking your ideas into 3 dimensions, please decide on a suitable polygon budget (for games/TV/film or as much as your computer can handle!) If you are unsure, please enquire on the workshop and others will try and help. The workshop is application independent, and so anyone can try it. For those of you who would like to try 3d but do not have a package, blender (http://www.blender3d.org/ ) is a very high standard open source 3d application that is free to download and use. However, this will take time to learn.
Duration of projects: 2 Weeks.
écorché drawings/a physical sculpture/3D model. You can specialize on a weak area if you wish, or try for the whole model.
STRICTLY NO TRACING!
WIP is encouraged, and please help others by providing your thoughts on their solutions in a positive manner. Discouragement of others will not help anyone as we are all here to get better, and people bring different skills to the table.
- Increased anatomical understanding.
- Visual communication skills.
1. Work created here MUST be ORIGINAL TO THE CREATOR and for the purpose of serious study of the écorché. Those who post silly or off topic work will have their posts deleted immediately and will no longer be allowed to post on this thread. Rebecca Kimmel reserves the right to determine which pieces are considered to be in poor taste and / or disrespectful in the workshop.
2. This Workshop will run in a 2 WEEK slot.
3. There is NO LIMIT to the NUMBER of posts an artist may make. However, we ask that you post only work which you feel best represents your work, even if it is considered unfinished.
4. Artists who post comments and critiques of other artists' work on this thread must be RESPECTFUL, POLITE, and offer CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Flaming will be NOT be tolerated, and constitutes dismissal from this and other threads.
5. Mike/default.rol and Rebecca Kimmel will be offering the occasional comments / critique ~ however, the main focus of the Workshop should be on Group Critique and interaction.
6. ANY MEDIUM or STYLE may be used: Traditional or Digital Drawing or Painting, Sculpture, or 3D Model.
7. Please limit the SIZE of your POSTS to 800 pixels WIDTH x Appropriate pixel LENGTH. No huge posts, please! (you are welcome to offer remote links to high resolution versions of your art work along side images that are of an appropriate size, if you so wish.)
8. Have fun, enjoy, and create great art!