The Character-A-Fortnight Event : CAFÉ 005

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2007   #61
Here is an update.

Sketchbook

Old 06 June 2007   #62
June 2, 2007

OK My first sculpture using a Zsphere
Was wondering if I am going about doing this correctly?
And if you can just make a whole figure using Zspheres, with a head and just mask the body and do the detail like I've done on this head?

Mike: not sure why you have to UV map and base mesh your figure ahead of time before you sculpt. Maybe you can explain this in a short manner if possible.
Does the new program eliminate the need for that? Yes or no? Just curious.

Glenn

Last edited by SpiritDreamer : 06 June 2007 at 07:39 PM.

Old 06 June 2007   #63
Bit of an update. Not sure if the background is necessary for this but it looks better than the basic black

Old 06 June 2007   #64
Thumbs up

Morning all,

@ Amerasu >>> That's turning out really well, and I do agree that the background is certainly helping the piece even more. What are your plans for it from here? Are you going into colour?

@ Fl3wk >>> That's looking like a very tortured soul you are drawing there. I'd take another look at the size of his hands though (especially his left one) as they seem a bit small. A good rule to remember is that your hand can cover your face, if you put the heel of your hand on your chin. I suppose that his hand would get smaller if he was so massive that his hand was disappearing off into perspective distance, but as you can't tell if that is the case yet, it looks a bit out. Good stuff though.

@ Glenn >>> I've attached a basic ZSphere .ztl to the end of this post I've just made for you. It's of a full body and very basic, but you can always add the detail to it yourself (fingers, toes and facial features to the head.) Alternatively, you can just sculpt in those features at a high enough resolution - as I guess you won't be doing any animation (yet!)

Just adjust the ZSpheres to how you want your giant's scale to be, (hitting the "A" key, to alternate between a skinned version and your ZSpheres.) Once you're happy, using the "adaptive skin" tab, hit the button "make adaptive skin" to create your mesh for real. Clear your canvas, and then draw your new mesh on to the canvas (called Skin_Simple_Zsphere_body) and start sub dividing and sculpting as normal.

I'm UV mapping outside of ZBrush this time before I go into the program, because I had problems on my Pseudosaraus mesh last time. I want to paint more in photoshop than ZBrush, and making the UV maps how I want them (in maya,) helps me do this. (I'll explain in greater detail with screen grabs later on.)

**Anyone else is free to use the .ztl I've uploaded here - if they so wish.**

Cheers all
MIKE
Attached Files
File Type: zip Simple_Zsphere_body.zip (7.7 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by default-rol : 06 June 2007 at 09:18 AM.

Old 06 June 2007   #65
Default: I have an issue when drawing on the computer. It makes me feel I need to 'rush'. I do not think I analyze everything and use all the theories I have learned. It might be that I need to draw and polish by hand with a pencil and then colour in a program as this way right now seems to restrict me. The hands were too big and clunky at one point that is why they seem small now.

I think I am going to have to either slow down while doing it on the computer and LOOK at what I am doing, or take back into traditional and rough out all the mistakes. I know I have the knowledge now not to make these mistakes, its just pulling it off

Sketchbook

Old 06 June 2007   #66
June 3, 2007

Thanks a million for the link Mike. Will try it out later this morning,
I woke up at three oclock this morning, before you posted that file/link, and decided to try to sculpt the head that was already on the super average male figure provided in Z3 instead of transplanting one from a Zsphere....Seems to work ok, but am not sure if I am heading in the right direction yet...just experimenting and exploring my unknows at this stage of this 3d adventure and journey that i've gotten myself into...

Glenn

Last edited by SpiritDreamer : 06 June 2007 at 11:51 AM.

Old 06 June 2007   #67
HEY....Mike..I just checked out that file/link that you posted above.

That slinky man / z sphere figure, and the simple instrutions on how to use it, are ...FANTASTIC / GREAT....
Now I feel like i'm on the right path, and am beginning to see a light at the end of this dark 3d tunnel that I have been stumbling through...
CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH....
TAKE CARE AND THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL OF YOUR GREAT HELP...MIKE.
Glenn

Last edited by SpiritDreamer : 06 June 2007 at 11:53 AM.

Old 06 June 2007   #68
WOW EAD that's impressive. I really hope to see progress of that really curious. I'm partecipating to HCM challenge and have no time for this one, but so far impressive works from all

Old 06 June 2007   #69
HEY...Mike, and anyone else who is interested...here is a SHORT TUTORIAL LINK, that GHOUL / IVAN just posted in my anatomy/sketchbook thread.

HOW TO DO HEAD TRANSPLANS IN Z BRUSH 3....LOL..

He said he just tried it, and it works like a charm..

http://www.zbrush.info/wiki/index.p...-_The_Grotesque

Glenn

Old 06 June 2007   #70
Originally Posted by default-rol: @ Amerasu >>> That's turning out really well, and I do agree that the background is certainly helping the piece even more. What are your plans for it from here? Are you going into colour?

I'll finish the grayscale painting since it's still pretty rough and lacking any detail. Then I think I'll colour it. Could be a bit of a messy challenge since I always work directly in colour rather than colouring grayscale

We all have fairly different Nephilim characters so it's going to be great to see how each of us develops them!

Old 06 June 2007   #71
Thumbs up

Morning all,

@ Fl3wk >>> I think that there are so many things that you have to consider when you draw humans/animals/anything at all really, that it is fairly common that something gets missed. I've found that if I draw something, leave it alone for a couple of hours afterwards and then come back, I usually spot the things that are badly wrong. Keep going with it though, as practice makes perfect, I'm told...

@ SpiritDreamer >>> Hey Glenn, no problem and glad you found the .ztl useful. Like i said previous, you can keep adding detail to the model with more ZSpheres, and of course, cutomise it on a per project basis. I bookmarked the link you provided too, cheers.

@ jojo1975 >>> Hello and welcome. I hope you enjoy watching the ideas develop, and feel like you would be happy to participate in future events.

@ Amerasu >>> Sounds like you will be in for a challenge later on this week then as you begin the colour stage.

Cheers all
MIKE

Old 06 June 2007   #72
Talking a little update...

didnt have any time to do more over the weekend.. had to do a quick freelance

Just been tweaking here and there. Will pose him and give him a theme soon!

learning a lot from this thread!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Giant_web04.jpg (59.8 KB, 18 views)

Old 06 June 2007   #73
Thumbs up

Here's where my giant is at after a couple of hours on his head today >>> The night is young (unlike my giant,) so i hope to really develop his features and expression in the coming hours...

Still very early days on his body - I'll be working on this tomorrow too, so I should get some real progress then.

Cheers all
MIKE

Last edited by default-rol : 06 June 2007 at 06:16 PM.

Old 06 June 2007   #74
Wow, impressive! They're both looking great. SpaceTik's giant and default-rol, that head is really turning out to be fantastic. Nice work

Old 06 June 2007   #75
Sorry to say, but I can't really work any more on this project, should have said earlier but not had time . Got alot of coursework to do and catch up on so, plus im going to Download Festival this weekend

Thread Closed share thread