The Character-A-Fortnight Event : CAFÉ 004

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2007
default-roll-
sweet progress man, sorry i i havent been able to get back to you, im using maya 8.5 so our files wouldnt be compatable. Ive been playing with ZB3 nonstop so hopefully ill have some progress to post soon.

05 May 2007
sweeet

can't wait to see the detail on Psudosaraus, default_rol

05 May 2007
Originally Posted by default-rol: Well from my experience and use of the program it totally depends on how you feel about what you do. I had friends at University who were "poly modellers" and they HATED ZBrush because it seemed to be alien to what they had been taught about CG modelmaking.

Personally, I always came at CG modelmaking from a real 3D/ modelmaking background (I played with FIMO and Milliput for years - and for Warhammer 40,000 I used to make my own props and sets etc.)

I hated organic 3D modelmaking for a long time because it seemed like you were at the mercy of the program, but after seeing ZBrush demo'd for the first time all of that changed for me.

After that, I picked up enough about edge looping etc. to know roughly how to keep data localised on a model. Once I've made a base mesh I then export straight to ZBrush. I set up my organic models in Maya for data looping/edge flow reasons... basically more control. (I haven't had loads of success from ZSpheres, but I have seen others who have done loads better than my humble attempts.)

Once it's inside ZBrush I feel a lot more at home "sculpting digital clay" (or wax now in ZBrush 3, lol) than thinking how best to push edges, verts and faces into the organic shapes I want. I think this is a mindset thing.

To sum up my long winded ramblings, there is LOADS to learn in ZBrush if you fall into the "I want to be able to sculpt 'with symmetry and undo's' " (a benefit over straight Chevant or Super Sculpy.) There is generally less benefit to be had, however, if you enjoy more the technical aspects of model making, (working out every last loop of data.)

Gnomon do great DVD's on the basic technical capabilities of ZBrush (that's how I learned the basics,) but I also know Kurv studios do good, but generally less formal, DVD's on the same topic in my limited experience of them. digital tutors probably have good ones too, and you can, in fact, pick up excellent free video lectures from the ZBrushcentral forums.

If you're still reading, then "Well done" for making it this far. LOL.

Cheers
MIKE

Thanks, And yes I read it all . Is there anyway of relaxing the mesh in it? Like in 3dsmax. I took it into 3dsmax to relax the feet and start on them again. But it's too high poly to export .

05 May 2007
MAY 19 2007

GREAT STARTS ...EVERYONE....
Hey...if anybody is interested, I found an easy way to make great CRYSTALS using Z BRUSH...The steps for getting crystals are on the next to last page in my anatomy / sketchbook thread, page #84...The link to my anatomy / sketchbook thread is listed below the last picture posted here.

My start of the Café Fortnight concept
Theme is... As of yet undiscovered creatures from the EARTHS PAST
My method of approach to concept POETRY INTO VISUAL FORM
My poem for this concept

AN ANCIENT MISSED
A CRYSTAL MYTH
ENCASED IN GOLD
A PRIMORTIAL BEING
STILL WAITING TO BE SEEN

Glenn

Last edited by SpiritDreamer : 05 May 2007 at 04:17 PM.

05 May 2007
Talking

Hey all,

@ Infuscos >>> I'm not sure what "relax" in 3DSM achieves in terms of the mesh, but it sounds like it removes modelled in detail etc? If so, then the best way to do that in ZBrush is to lower your mesh down to the lowest sub D level and use the smooth brush with a higher Z intensity. This will wash out your detail at the lowest level, and then you can move up the sub D levels smoothing as you go to loose smaller details (if needs be.) Basically, altering the mesh at the lower level filters through to the higher levels, so all major changes to your mesh should be done at the lowest level possible. Does that help?

@ Glenn >>> Woah, mad idea and niiiice gemstones you got there! Where are you going next with it? Hope you get chance to work on it further.

Cheers
MIKE

05 May 2007
Originally Posted by default-rol: @ Infuscos >>> I'm not sure what "relax" in 3DSM achieves in terms of the mesh, but it sounds like it removes modelled in detail etc? If so, then the best way to do that in ZBrush is to lower your mesh down to the lowest sub D level and use the smooth brush with a higher Z intensity. This will wash out your detail at the lowest level, and then you can move up the sub D levels smoothing as you go to loose smaller details (if needs be.) Basically, altering the mesh at the lower level filters through to the higher levels, so all major changes to your mesh should be done at the lowest level possible. Does that help?

I love you lol. That sorted my problem, I just need to go about applying the detail again (the detail on the feet was the problem). I might take the mesh down and continue in 3dsmax as I know what im doing in that

EDIT: How long have we left?

Last edited by Infuscos : 05 May 2007 at 05:49 PM.

05 May 2007
Arrow

Originally Posted by Infuscos: I love you lol. That sorted my problem, I just need to go about applying the detail again (the detail on the feet was the problem). I might take the mesh down and continue in 3dsmax as I know what im doing in that

EDIT: How long have we left?

Hey there Infuscos,

We've got another 7 days on this one, from today (Until next Saturday, when the next one begins.)

Another good thing to do is export a mesh from ZBrush and use your 3D app (3DS max) to tweak any major problems in (like intersecting geometry etc.) You can then load that mesh back into ZBrush at the same subdivision level you exported it from and continue sculpting from there - the mesh will update. Whatever you do, don't add, delete or re-order the points in any way or else this won't work though - only use it to correct problems you can't seem to fix inside of ZBrush.

Cheers
MIKE

05 May 2007
Well i think the problem was that the exported couldn't support anymore than a certain amount of polygons.. and I exceeded that.

05 May 2007
thanks default-rol..
one more question...
I am new to zbrush...how to import a maya file to Zbrush???
only 2 file type able to import..obj and another one..
but I can't save or export into that file format in maya...

05 May 2007
You'd probably want to search the net for a plug-in

05 May 2007
thanks for your reply Infuscos...
what plug-in is't??

----------------------
it's ok d..
I know how d...
in Maya,just go to the preferences there and turn the OBJ thing on...
^ ^...

thanks..

Last edited by questionmarks : 05 May 2007 at 08:19 PM.

05 May 2007
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by questionmarks: thanks default-rol..
one more question...
I am new to zbrush...how to import a maya file to Zbrush???
only 2 file type able to import..obj and another one..
but I can't save or export into that file format in maya...

Hey questionmarks,

Yeah, .obj and .dxf I think. .obj is the one that I use, and it works well. One thing to remember though is to go to File > "Import options" and turn your .obj File type Specific Options: to False - otherwise you won't be able to import and export your mesh from ZBrush into Maya and back again at will. This is because Maya will re-order your point numbers on import, making it unrecognisable to your Zbrush .ztl. I learned that on Zack Petroc's Gnomon DVD, and I haven't had any problems since, LOL.

Cheers and "happy ZBrushing"

Best
MIKE

05 May 2007
Originally Posted by default-rol: Hey questionmarks,

Yeah, .obj and .dxf I think. .obj is the one that I use, and it works well. One thing to remember though is to go to File > "Import options" and turn your .obj File type Specific Options: to False - otherwise you won't be able to import and export your mesh from ZBrush into Maya and back again at will. This is because Maya will re-order your point numbers on import, making it unrecognisable to your Zbrush .ztl. I learned that on Zack Petroc's Gnomon DVD, and I haven't had any problems since, LOL.

Cheers and "happy ZBrushing"

Best
MIKE

ohh...I see...thanks....
and..one more question.....
there is one option in zBrush--edge loop,right???
something light extrude in maya..
I saw it in tutorial..it is below the geometry option...
but howcome I can't find it in mine????

is't have to change to certain mode???or need script???

05 May 2007
Thumbs up

Hey all,

I've added secondary forms to the body of my mesh in ZBrush >>>

It needs a little bit of clean up, and the head taking up to the same level of detail as the body, then I'm on to the tertiary forms like skin folds, and surface details.... that is unless anyone has noticed any problems with the model that I haven't spotted? Please shout up if you have and I'll take a look.

@ questionmarks >>> I've never really had to do it before, but I basically know how to, I think, LOL.

In ZBrush 2, you convert your mesh with the "Make PolyMesh3D" button under the Tool options. Then clear your canvas, and draw the new poly mesh on to it (it should be called PM3D_<name of object> if you hover over it on the tools.)

Once on the canvas and in Edit mode, you Shift+Ctrl drag to make a selection of what you want to edge loop round. Finally you go to Geometry > Edge loop and it *should* edge loop for you around your selection.

Simple as that!! LOL. Do it in maya >>> loads easier and far more precise, I think.

Cheers
MIKE

05 May 2007
Originally Posted by default-rol: Hey all,

I've added secondary forms to the body of my mesh in ZBrush >>>

It needs a little bit of clean up, and the head taking up to the same level of detail as the body, then I'm on to the tertiary forms like skin folds, and surface details.... that is unless anyone has noticed any problems with the model that I haven't spotted? Please shout up if you have and I'll take a look.

@ questionmarks >>> I've never really had to do it before, but I basically know how to, I think, LOL.

In ZBrush 2, you convert your mesh with the "Make PolyMesh3D" button under the Tool options. Then clear your canvas, and draw the new poly mesh on to it (it should be called PM3D_<name of object> if you hover over it on the tools.)

Once on the canvas and in Edit mode, you Shift+Ctrl drag to make a selection of what you want to edge loop round. Finally you go to Geometry > Edge loop and it *should* edge loop for you around your selection.

Simple as that!! LOL. Do it in maya >>> loads easier and far more precise, I think.

Cheers
MIKE

ohh..maybe because I din't do the mesh step....
thanks....default-rol...

overall your dinasour seems fine to me...
just feel that the hand part a bit weird..
I mean the position of the hand....
however....nice dino...^ ^...

--------------------------
ya..try it d and it works....^ ^...
and..ya...I also think that do the extrude thing in maya better..really not used to the zBrush interface and steps....
but I want to learn to model in zBrush...
so.....hopefully I can make it....^ ^..

Last edited by questionmarks : 05 May 2007 at 03:26 PM.

Thread Closed share thread